~01

Barricades of the Heart

It was an early September morning, autumn’s beginning and summer’s end.  Ripe leaves descended from former abounding trees, each aging into brown crispy flakes on the ground. The turn of seasons also meant that openings for enlistment were just around the corner. On my eighteenth year in this world, I was to prepare myself for combat.

 

I was young; straight out of high school with an indescribable naivety.  I had neither dreams nor ambition; no future.  All to which led me to the decision that I’d enlist into the military. I mean, how bad can it be? Though, I was still inexperienced with life, this would be a good chance to grow up.

 

“It could be fun.” That’s what I told myself. Like most guys, I was hyped. Then again, I was one of those boys, the kinds that did stupid and at most, punishable things. I honestly thought that war was a game. You play to win or lose. Same . If I win, I’ll come home a ‘man’ and if I lose, well…let’s say, I won’t be coming home.

 

My parents kicked me out of the house 2 years ago after I had went for a joy ride with a stolen vehicle. But it wasn’t my fault. I was basically framed. The dude told me that I could take the car out for a spin and when I came back, he was gone.  How was I supposed to know that it was stolen? Oh right, I was a bonehead and still am. My parents wouldn’t listen, fed up by my reckless behavior; I was out of the house by sixteen.

 

So here I am today, living with my good ole pal, Baekhyun. His family took me in. I work with Baekhyun at an auto repair shop to pay for my rent, though they refuse to take it. This was the only way to keep my conscious tolerable.

 

“When are you officially leaving?” Baekhyun asked as he handed me an open beer then taking the vacant space next to me. Together we sat on the ground of the auto-shop and leaned our backs against the walls.

 

“In a month.” I answered tonelessly. Baekhyun was looking at me, I knew. I just stared at the ground thinking about the future. What kind of man I’d become.

 

“Are you sure you want to do this? I mean, who is going to help me run this shop when Suk is out drinking his life away. That bastard, we’re here almost every day and our pay checks are still crap.” Baekhyun said, shaking his head.

 

“I don’t know. I just don’t want to sit around and watch everyone succeed while I make use of my good for nothing life. Everyone knows that I can’t do anything right. Look at you! You’ll get married to Yura one day. And look at me; I’m living in someone else’s house when I have my own parents who won’t dare see me. I’m a failure.” I lifted my hat and wiped the sweat from my forehead then took a fierce sip of the beer. “And just maybe I could actually be someone, if I come back.”

 

“Don’t be like that, Bro. Everyone makes mistakes. And you just haven’t found your muse in life, yet. Say, do you have training this afternoon?” Baekhyun asked.

 

“Nahh, I’m done with that. They’re giving us these last weeks to spend with our families.” I answered.

 

“That’s great! Let’s have fun tonight, shall we? Yura is throwing a party at her house and she told me to invite you too.” Baekhyun seemed overly excited but I just gave him that raised brow. “Come on.

There will be girls and drinks.” He smiled and nudged me. I couldn’t help but smile along with him; my personal all-around entertainer, Byun Baekhyun.

 

“Sold.” I told him. We ended this conversation with our classic knuckle bump and got back to work. This month was going to go by quickly then.

 

 

 

 

“No, Yura. I’m not going.” I complained to my best friend who was currently being a pain. I sat straight on my bed with my back against my headboard and my favorite novel in my hand.

 

“Yah, Kim Minhee. You can’t just sit around and read those boring books all day.” Yura sat on the edge of my bed.

 

That’s me. Kim Minhee. Your typical good girl. Kang Yura and I are total opposites. Sometimes I question why we even have this bond and then I remember, through all of this ludicrous, she still has my back like a sister I’ve never had. What a character. In complete cliché, we really did complete each other. 

 

“Watch me.” I said, averting my attention back to the book. Yura just stared at me like I was crazy, which I’m not.

 

“Get a life.” She stated, throwing a pillow at me. I stuck the bookmark in its rightful spot and closed it shut. I put it aside. Unlike her, I don’t put much use of my time, socializing with guys or people in general. I’ve never had a boyfriend nor have I ever fallen in love. To fill in the gap, I'd read about impetuous romances where I can only imagine, what the real thing would be feel like.

 

“Hey!” I yelled. She was seriously getting on my nerves.

 

“Just come this once. You said you wanted to do something ‘fun’ before fall semester.” She quoted with her fingers and now had her hands on her hips. “Well, earth of Minhee. Time is almost up!” Yura said so animatedly. Yes, college was about to start again and we’d be off break. Thank god.

 

“Yes I did, however, partying is necessarily my idea of ‘fun’. It was more in the lines of going to the beach or going horseback riding” I responded. She made a fake gagging sound; obviously she wasn’t interested in either option.

 

“Just this once, please, your own friend’s party…” Here she goes with the cute puppy look. Ugh, what can I say, I’m a er for aegyo.

 

“I won’t guarantee that I’ll have fun but fine. Just for you.” I said.

 

“Oh, you won’t regret it.” Yura muttered under her breath.

 

“What?”

 

“Oh nothing, let’s go. We have a lot to do.” She pulled me by arm. “Ahjumma, tell Minhee’s parents that she’ll be at my house tonight!” Yura called to my maid who was dusting something in the living room. Then I was dragged to her car. She straightened her black leather jacket and gave me a smile, happy that she got her way. You see, Yura comes and goes as she pleases. It's been like this since we were little.

 

 

Both our parents have well paying jobs as top manufaturers, going on trips to buy and sell land. We met through our nannys.

 

 

I sat in her car there thinking negative thoughts, not looking forward to this party what. so. ever.

 

I suffered an hour through a supposed ‘make over’.  This mascara Yura put on me was bothering the heck out of me. I was panicking as she applied the eyeliner; I thought she’d poke my eye with the pencil. I seriously not cut out for the night life. She imprudently stripped me of my grey cardigan and white dress by replacing it with a burgundy long sleeved dress. She knew I’d refuse a skimpy dress anyway.

 

People started to come in groups, little by little until the entire house was filled. For a big house, I started to feel claustrophobic. People were literally everywhere and I earnestly could not tolerate the drunk ones so I stayed in the kitchen where no one lingered. Just myself.

 

I leaned against a counter and took a sip of beer listening to the booming music through the walls. Suddenly, the already drunk Yura burst through the kitchen doors.

 

“Minhee-yah, what are you doing here? Anyways, we need more cups out here, mind getting some from the storage closet?” She asked then she refilled the tub of ice.

 

“Sure.” I pretty much slid through the crowd of sweaty people, disgusting, and made my way to the closet across the hall.

 

 

I made it to the storage room safely; I left the door open and switched on the light. I looked around the place for a bag of plastic cups until I spotted it of the very top shelf. I reached up with my right arm, totally underestimating my height. So I tried again with a little jump for boost and just then a hand reaches over mine.

 

“Here, let me.” I hear a husky deep voice say. He’s directly behind me so I can’t see this guy’s face. All I know is that, his height is no joke. He was amazingly tall.

 

 

He easily grabbed the bag and handed it to me. I looked up at the guy for the first time. For starters, he was incredibly handsome and he had the voice I’d always imagine the men in the books would have. The only difference was that this dude was real.

 

I tucked a piece of hair behind my ear and bit my lip, “Thanks.” I said, shyly.

Appearance wise, he must be the bad boy type. But who am I to judge, I am here dressed unlike myself also at this party in which I do not belong.

 

“No problem.” The dark haired fellow said, he flashed a smile and stood there. “I was looking for the bathroom when I saw that you needed help.  “Perhaps you may know where it’s located?” He asked.

 

“Yeah. It’s upstairs second door to your right.” I told him about to walk away with the cups.

 

“I meant, can you show me?” He asked staring into my eyes. How alluring. I had to tell myself to catch a breath for a second. It felt like a dream and I didn’t want to wake up.

 

The stare was broken when I heard Yura calling for me, I mentally cursed. I looked back at him, disappointed to have to leave him.

 

“I have to...” I pointed the other direction and Chanyeol nodded. He understood and proceeded upstairs on his own.

 

I blew the hair out of my face, upset, as I found Yura. “There you are. What took so long?” She asked. I handed her the bag.

 

“I got caught up in a bundle of people.” An excuse. I took a moment to look around. Seeing all of the people in the house, I doubted that I’d see the handsome stranger again.


Hello readers and subscribers!
I have a new story to share! 
First chapter is up and I'm not really sure what to feel about this but hey!
I hope you enjoy this first chapter and continue to read and subscribe! It's very well appreciated!