Chapter 5 - friend

Hold me tightly

We were silent for like an eternity. Tears were flowing down my eyes uncontrollably. It felt like he needed to absorb what had happened to me, so I did not continue to explain. I waited for him to seek my eyes for further explanation. As he looked up, I continued.

“Shinjoo was my best friend. Last year, when I was in the classroom with her alone, she told me that my father snatched her mother away, and that she was angry that my dad broke her family apart. So she told her dad to…er… take revenge on me. She also made friends with me because she wanted to hurt me later on. But she never expected that our friendship turned out to be true. She felt guilty and she couldn’t live with this guilt that she caused her best friend to have this scar.”

This time, there was an even longer deafening silence compared to just now.  I closed my eyes, thinking why did I even tell Joonwoo what happened.

“It must be tough right? To endure it alone...” he said. His face was creased with sympathy and worry. It hurts my heart to see him looking like that.

I looked up. “It’s okay. I’ve already tolerated for 3 years. I know I can tolerate it more. Thank you… Anyway.” I smiled. I was still glad I told Joonwoo.

“You know, if you want to share anything with someone, you can tell me. “ Joonwoo replied. His smile was warm – the type that would make your day better.

I think I’ve found myself a friend… a really good friend.