“Speedy Blind Dates”

My 3 Identities Lover

Part 1: “Speedy Blind Dates”

 

 

“Oh come on dude…you’re in your late 20, if you don’ find someone for yourself you probably have to consider spending your life alone!”

 

Yunho inhaled deeply and blew his breath right into the whisky glass, causing the mist to appear all around it and also on the surface of his glasses.

 

“I am spending my life alone now…so I don’t think there’s a different to it…” Yunho took off his thick glasses and wiped it clean with the napkin.

 

Yoochun threw his hands in the air-frustrated. Why did he even try to convince his hardheaded friend at the first place?

 

“I’m being serious here…don’t you want to fall in love even for once in your life?”

 

“Of course I want to…but just look at me…I’m what they call as ‘nerd’, ‘geek’ and what else…do you think someone would like to date me?”

 

“This is why I recommended you to join this blind date session…its 5 minutes blind date session… you’ll get to know so many candidates for just half hour…if you’re mutually interested, you can continue somewhere else after that…date for real or even better get married…”

 

Only if there’s someone who interested in me...I mean, it’s just 5 minutes per person…my parents got married for almost 30 years and they said they still don’t know each other…” Yunho’s obviously doubtful with that kind of method.

 

“Trust me…you WILL find someone who’s destined to you…I mean, look at me and Junsu…we met each other in this kind of session as well…and now we’re happily married couple…” Yoochun stared lovingly at Junsu who’s talking to the customer.

 

Yunho’s eyes followed Yoochun’s gaze and sighed. Yoochun got a point and it’s not like he’s losing something in trying.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

There he was sitting behind two persons square table in the dimmed club. The subtle melodious music blasted through the speakers to fit the mood.

 

“Why do I have a bad feeling about this?” He singsong it while browsing through the list of candidates in a small paper.

 

“Remember…if you have someone that you’re feeling interested with, you can tick in the box provided and we’ll arrange the second meeting for you two…and there’s a buzzer provided under the table, in case if both of you wish to end the session early and continue somewhere else…” Yoochun’s voice resounded.

 

“Psstt! Yunho-ah!” Yoochun called and he glanced up. Yoochun showed thumbs up to him with a bright smile. A deep sigh escaped from his mouth but he smiled nevertheless; feigning a confidence he didn’t even feel.

 

He looked around and saw every seat has been filled up as they’re ready to begin with the session in any minute. Unlike him, they had the excitement written all over their faces. They should be because based on what Yoochun told him earlier, they gathered the best candidates for that night. But he guessed he wasn’t really included in the list when Yoochun mentioned it. Yunho recalled the form he filled up before joining the session. He wrote ‘anyone & everyone’ as the person of interest. At this point of times, he doesn’t think being demanding is the right thing to do. He’s beyond grateful if there’s someone who would like to know him and be his friends.

 

“Ladies and gentlemen, May I have your attention, please?!” Yoochun stood on the stage while holding onto the mic.

 

“We’ll now begin the ‘Speedy Blind Dates!” As soon as he announced it, the candidates walked out from the back stage in a line and they were greeted with whistles and hoots. The hot and warm atmosphere slowly cooled down when one by one of the candidates took their place at each of the table.

 

Yunho’s heart hammered inside his chest when the first candidate took her position in front of him. Out of his habit, he lowered down his head wouldn’t dare to share an eye contact with her.

 

“A-a-annyeonghaseyo…I-I’m Jung Yunho…I’m working as an engineer…”

 

She didn’t bother to reply him immediately but instead she placed her elbow on the table and hooked her chin on her palm; her eyes raked all over him-making her personal evaluation right on the spot. When she finished, she leaned back against the chair and crossed her arms on her chest.

 

“A nerd, huh?”

 

And there it goes his chance, Yunho thought. Burning into ashes just with that one simple line. He doesn’t need to ask to know that she wasn’t interested to prolong their conversation. Her sharp eyes told him everything. Yunho smiled to her out of a courtesy and sneaked a glance at his watch.

 

‘This is gonna be a long day’ – Yunho thought as he’s counting when that 5 minutes will going to end.

 

Yunho finally able to breathe properly the second the bell rang. But even that didn’t last for too long when another girl stepped in. Yunho pushed his glasses up with his finger, fidgeting in his seat ready to start anew. This time, he wants to make sure that he will do it better than the last one. His effort however was pointless when that girl wasn’t even looking at him. Screw with the introduction as she rather staring at her fingernails than making a small talk with him-blatantly showing that she’s uninterested.

 

It’s a lie if Yunho said that didn’t hurt his pride. His pride charred. But if he had to choose, to be ignored is much better than to be humiliated or disgraced.

 

After what it seems like forever, the bell rang again and she immediately moved to the next table. Yunho called for the waiter and asked for a fruit cocktail. He’s in dire need for some refreshment and better, someone that could put his misery to an end. He’s waiting for his drink to be delivered when the next girl walked to his table.

 

In Yunho’s eyes, she’s better than the last two candidates. Judging from the way she’s sitting, she’s presenting herself with a high level of confidence – a simple touch of make-up but with a vibrant outfit. What Yunho like about her the most is the smile she’s wearing on her face and somehow Yunho thought, maybe he has a chance with this girl. Yunho adjusted his bow tie and squared his shoulder.

 

“I’m Jung Yunho…”

 

“I’m Oh Hye Rin…” She replied, still smiling sweetly.

 

“I am-”

 

“Do you always dress up like that or did you just put it on as a disguise? Or maybe for fun? Or maybe you’re required to dress like that for your work…you know like a clown…”

 

A nervous titter escaped from Yunho’s mouth as he’s looking at her. He didn’t know whether or not she realized it but she’s just labeled him as a clown.

 

“This is how I normally dressed up…”

 

She nodded and nodded without saying anything. Yunho flashed his smile at her and she replied the same. Right at that moment, the waiter came to their table to deliver his fruit cocktail and her hand moved fast grabbing it before Yunho could even reach for it. With her eyes fully fixed on him, she swallowed a huge portion of the drink and all Yunho could so is just smiling at her – awkwardly.

 

“That was so…weird…” She murmured. Yunho was about to ask ‘what’ when she finished up her sentence.

 

“…and ugly…”

 

Hearing it, Yunho automatically shut his mouth. He doesn’t think he wanted to know the rest of it or what she really meant by that. And again she smiled.

 

“I’m sorry…I just couldn’t stop smiling…it’s an occupational disease…I’m a receptionist…” Yunho watched as she finished up his drink. And like she’s been waiting for it, the bell rang.

 

“Oh thank God…” She said and quickly moved to the next table, leaving Yunho speechless.  He looked down and then chuckled softly – pitied himself.  Raising his hand calling for the waiter, he ordered for a new drink but this time he asked for beer.

 

The same situation applied to the next girl as well. She’s probably even worst, very judgmental and giving him unending critique like he’s begging her to do it. But this time, Yunho didn’t spare his time to hear it. With the influence of alcohol, he found a hidden strength to just stay there and hear her blabbering. Yunho just nodded to whatever she said.

 

“Let me guess…you’ve never been kissed before, right?”

 

“I knew it…well, can’t blame you…no one asked to be born ugly…” She said with a snide. Yunho watched as she’s searching for something inside her purse and then a piece of paper was placed on the table – a business card from the look of it.

 

“Maybe this will help you. He’s the best plastic surgeon in this country. I made a little adjustment at his place. The result is remarkable. People thought that I’m a natural beauty, even you think so, right?”

 

Yunho stared lifelessly at the card when the bell rang.

 

“Oh time's up!”

 

Yunho took another pull of his beer and then another. He started to wonder why he even agreed to do it at the first place. It’s like a high school all over again, standing in front of the crowds allowing himself to be humiliated. Only Yoochun was stupid enough to be his friend and wasting his time feeling concern about him.

 

When it comes to making friends or interacting with other people, he has this low self-esteem and that’s why no matter how much he wanted to make it work, it doesn’t go the way he wished it to be.  

 

Yunho was so lost in his thought that he didn’t realize someone else has taken a seat in front of him. She eerily stared Yunho up and down.

 

“I wonder if the Manager had lost his mind to let someone like you join this session…you reeks alcohol…”

 

He didn’t even pay attention to her and let her saying whatever she wanted to say. He’s not even drunk and he swore that his brain is functioning well, but he let her treats him that way merely because he knew that she’s just searching for an excuse to hate him. He hunched his shoulders.

 

“Wierdo…”

 

“Believe me, you’re not the first one who said that…” Yunho managed a half smile. He glanced at the watch and sighed.

 

The bell then rang indicated that the 5 minutes is up and it’s time for the next candidate to step in. She bolted up and moved to the next table, didn’t bother to give Yunho a glance, not that Yunho cares about it. He took a swig of beer when another person moved to his table. The sweet scent emanated from him as he settled down in front of Yunho.

 

“I’m Jung Yunho, an engineer, a nerd, a geek, a weirdo, never being kissed because I’m ugly, and yes I always wear this plaid shirt and yes I don’t have any sense of style” He immediately blurted it all out in one breath dryly without even looking at the other. He just wanted it to end fast. But something else happened, something he didn’t expect to even happen.

 

“I’m a weirdo too…” it’s very softly and politely uttered. Yunho raised his head slowly, almost like a broken machine. And the first thing he saw is the big doll-like eyes, blinking at him. And the smile – the smile that caused his voice stuck at his throat.

 

“You look like you had a rough night…” He took away the beer mug from Yunho’s hand and put it away.

 

“I’m Kim Jaejoong…”

 

“Y-You are not…a girl…”

 

“Did you specifically ask for a girl before joining this session?”

 

Yunho’s eyes blinked blankly, recalling it for a moment before he shook his head.

 

“It shouldn’t be a problem then…” he said and ended it with a smile. Yunho took a deep breath and adjusted his sitting position.

 

“Do…Do you possibly… suffer an occupational disease too?” Yunho was talking about the smile because the last time someone smiled like that to him wasn’t really doing it sincerely. Jaejoong obviously perplexed with his sudden question.

 

“I don’t think so…”

 

Yunho nodded and smiled in relief.

 

“Do you mind if I take your glasses off?” he titled his head while asking him for permission.

 

“I-I…” Yunho cleared his throat and took off the glasses himself. He must be insane to do that like he’s within that man’s grasp.

 

“You have beautiful eyes…and I really love your hands…” He praised while touching Yunho’s hand. Yunho gulped down.

 

“E-E-Everything about you is beautiful…” Yunho broke a sweat. He could feel it dripping from his temple and down to his cheek. Jaejoong chuckled softly, viewing Yunho’s side as really cute.

 

“I think you need to loosen up some buttons…”

 

“R-r-right…”

 

But seeing how Yunho was struggling to do it, Jaejoong immediately offered him a hand.

 

“Let me do it for you…” Jaejoong didn’t wait for Yunho to consent it.

 

He brought his hands to undone the bow tie and began loosened up two upper buttons for him. Jaejoong however didn’t stop at just that when he moved to Yunho’s both arms – folding the sleeves up to his elbows. And what did Yunho do in the meantime? He completely froze like a statue.

 

The times flew fast when you don’t wish it to be and that’s what Yunho felt when they heard the sound of the bell. Yunho’s in the middle of thinking for an excuse to get to know him better when Jaejoong suddenly pressed the buzzer.

 

“Let’s continue outside, shall we?” 

 

Everyone was surprised by it and Yunho was also one of them. The sound of the buzzer just now marked them to be the first pair to ever step out of the session before it actually ends for that night. What surprised them even more is to see Yunho’s partner when they’re walking out side by side. Out of all people in that club, both Yoochun and Junsu felt proud with his progress.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Jaejoong sat on the bench, his eyes fixed on the dark sky – admiring the twinkling stars while Yunho’s admiring him from the side.

 

“Why are you doing this?”

 

“Hmm?” Jaejoong looked at him.

 

“Why are you so kind to me?”

 

Jaejoong took his time to answer.

 

“No particular reason…I just like you just the way you are...you are the bravest one to join the blind date session just by being you…”

 

Yunho wrinkled his forehead, hard to absorb it. So that’s mean the rest of the candidates were all faking it?

 

“Appearance-wise, yeah they’re all looking great. But believe me, that’s not how they actually looks like in normal days. They’re making an effort for the first meeting because the first impression is crucial. They just wanted to look good in front of their partner; some of them even faked their personality. Because no one is perfect.”

 

“You are…” Yunho exclaimed.

 

Jaejoong returned it with a smile that last for a second.

 

“When I told you that I’m a weirdo, I really mean it…” He said it with a straight face, trying to convince Yunho that he’s not joking. Even if it’s true, Yunho just couldn’t see it.

 

“Jaejoong-shi…can I ask you something?”

 

“Just Jaejoong, please…what is it?”

 

“Why did you join this Speedy Blind Dates at the first place? Someone like you would get anyone he likes…just a snap of your finger, everyone will come queuing up in front of you…”

 

Jaejoong pondered and then he snapped his finger. He made a show looking around them while waiting for something.

 

“So…where are they? I don’t see anyone queuing up in front of me now?”

 

“You know what I really meant…”

 

Jaejoong grinned.

 

“I have my own reasons…I’m too busy to date…but the biggest reason is because I have two overprotective brothers and thanks to them, just like you…I’ve never been kissed before…so we’re equal…” He stated like it was something that worth a compliment.

 

“You’re kidding me!”

 

“You can choose not to believe…but that’s the truth…” Jaejoong breathed out, slapped his laps and rose up. He glanced at his watch first and then turned his back to look at Yunho.

 

“I noticed that you’ve been checking your watch for…I don’t know…fourth or fifth times already…”

 

Jaejoong scratched his un-itchy head, feeling guilty. He inhaled deeply before he explained it to him.

 

“I need to get back before 12 midnight…”

 

“What are you? A Cinderella?”

 

“In a way…the difference is, I’ve got two lovely brothers but-”

 

“Overprotective…” Yunho finished up for him as he straightened. He copied Jaejoong’s steps and standing up.

 

“You’re not a minor are you?”

 

Jaejoong burst into a laugh upon Yunho’s question. He waved both of his hands to him.

 

“Don’t worry…I’m not…and don’t worry, this wouldn’t be the last time we met…here” Jaejoong handed him a business card.

 

“If you don’t mind, I’d love to get to know you better…so, feel free to contact me anytime you like…I will be at your service…” He bowed 90 degrees to Yunho like a gentleman would do.

 

Yunho watched as Jaejoong slowly disappeared into the dark, until he couldn’t see him anymore. Only then he looked away and he averted his gaze to the business card in his hand.

 

“JaeHarem Enterprise…” He read what’s written on it. It sounded very familiar to his ears but he couldn’t really figure out where.

 

He didn’t think his brain is in the state where it can process anything at that time. He felt like he’s still floating in the air, having a hard time to believe what happened to him that night. He looked down to his feet, both of them are perfectly touched the ground. Feeling unsatisfied, he checked the date on his phone screen – wondering if it’s just April Fool and if it is, that’s the most wonderful April Fool he ever got.

 

But it’s not.

 

He looked at the card again, slowly keyed in the number and pressed the ‘call’ button. The sound of his pounding heart matched with the sound of the flock of birds flew above him. It’s so loud that he’s so scared that it could be heard by others.

 

“Yobeoseyo?”

 

“Yobeoseyo…it’s me Jung Yunho…”

 

“We just parted. Don’t tell me you’re already missing me?”

 

Yunho chuckled.

 

“So it was real…” He blurted it out loud.

 

“Of course it was real. What do you expect? That it was just a dream…?”

 

Yunho closed his eyes as he listened to Jaejoong’s voice. So warm just like how warm Jaejoong made he feels like.

 

The next day, Yunho woke up with a bright smile on his face. It’s probably even brighter than the sunlight streamed through the windows. Jaejoong’s smiling face flashed before his eyes and somehow, just by thinking of him made he feels like he’s going to have a great day. He couldn’t wait to share every single bit about him and his moment with Jaejoong to Yoochun. But before that, there’s a pile of works waiting for him at the office.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

It was around lunch time when Yunho decided to take a walk, clearing his head after a meeting with his client.  Normally he wouldn’t go that far just to release his tense and he would rush back to his office after spending 15 minutes wandering around on the street. But before he realized it, he was already standing nearby JaeHarem Ent.’s building.

 

Now he knew why the name of the company sounded so familiar to him. Firstly, that company surprisingly located in the same area of his working place. And second, it was a huge grand building that it’s hard for someone not to notice. Third and foremost, JaeHarem Ent. was widely known to have an outstanding achievement background!

 

“So this is Jaejoong’s working place…”

 

His attention just then was distracted by the arrival of expensive car at the front of the building. Judging from the amount of people waited for it, Yunho’s assuming that it must be a very important person. The guard hurried to open up the door for that person and Yunho thought it must be interesting if he stick longer, long enough to find out who he really.

 

Yes, it’s interesting-surprisingly interesting the moment he stepped out from the car. The identity of that person caused Yunho’s eyes popped wide. 

 

“KIM JAEJOONG-SHI!” Yunho absentmindedly shouted; unwittingly attracting their attentions. He covered his mouth as soon as he realized about it but it was too late for him to regret.

 

All eyes were on him-including Jaejoong. Jaejoong looked so different that day. It's like 'coy Jaejoong versus cunning Jaejoong'. Kim Jaejoong he saw that day elegantly dressed up and Yunho bet the suit he's wearing worth more than his 3 months salary, maybe more. Based on the material of his suit, it's obviously customade.

 

“I-I-I’m sorry...I didn’t mean to surprise you…” Yunho smiled nervously.

 

“It’s fine…” He replied.

 

“…but…have we met before?”

 

The smile on Yunho’s face faded away.

 

“W-what? Don’t you remember me? I’m Jung Yunho…We just met last night…at ‘Soulmate’ remember?”

 

He stared at him and shook his head slowly.

 

“I’m sorry…that doesn’t ring a bell…”

 

The descending warm crept all over his face when he heard the instinctively whispers among them.

 

“I-I’m sorry…I’ve probably mistaken you for someone else…”  

 

“It’s okay…I thought you’re a salesman just now…” He said it with a smile, the same smile that’s accompanying him to sleep last night.

 

It’s hard to believe that the same smile could give him a different feeling. And it’s even harder to believe how someone can change in just one night. Slowly, he turned around, his hand clutching his left chest. Did he hope for too much? But last night was real, wasn’t? Or it was just joke?

 

But he doesn’t think setting up a prank on someone like him would give him any benefit. One tear escaped from his eyes and rolled down.

 

“It’s really hurt” He sniffled. It felt like he was thrown down back to earth from heaven, landed hard on the ground, hard enough to shatter his heart. What did he expect, it’s not like he belongs there.

 


 

A/N: The first chapter~~~ please support me by subscribing and comments are most welcomed^^ thanks~