A Little Blue under the Weather

Who's my Daddy? [On temporary hiatus]

Time seemed to be passing very slowly as they waited in the lobby. Only Nichkhun was allowed into the doctor's office, so the others had to stay outside. One hour passed....and then two hours....but by the third hour, Minjun was getting impatient. He was worried about Chansung and Junho. They looked exhausted, but they couldn't fall asleep in such a condition. The hospital wouldn't allow it.

 

"Wait another ten minutes, hyung." Taec suggested. "And if Nichkhun's still not out yet, we can have Wooyoung drive the boys back first."

 

This seemed to be a good idea. "Youngie, can you drive right now?"

 

Wooyoung nodded sleepily. He rubbed his eyes and blinked a few times, trying to stay awake. But the sleepiness was getting to him.

 

"Come on. We always manage to stay up until 7am when we play poker." Minjun remarked, chuckling at the younger three.

 

"Yeah hyung. But usually we don't have classes on Saturdays. It just so happened that we had classes yesterday. So now, I'm all drained up." Junho explained, leaning his head against Chansung's shoulder. The maknae was already nodding off in his sleep. 

 

"We also don't usually have hospital appointments in the morning. I don't know why, hyung, but hospitals put me to sleep." Wooyoung said.

 

"Aish...what am I supposed to do with you guys?" Minjun checked his watch again. It was 5am by then. Still no sign of Nichkhun. He wondered what was taking so long.

 

__________________________

 

Nichkhun was getting anxious, "What should I do?! What should I do?!" He was mentally pacing back and forth with Lauren in his arms crying as they waited for the doctor to show up.

 

And finally the doctor came, "So, how's the baby doing? What's the problem?" 

 

"I don't know. When she woke up, she was totally alright and then suddenly she cried! When I took her temperature, it was quite high...she may have a fever..." Khun explained in one breath.

 

"Relax Mr. Horvejkul. Let me check on the baby first." The doctor said, getting the baby from Nichkhun's arm. It gotten worse. Lauren's cries were even louder now, so the doctor quickly put her on top of a medical bed.

 

He began listening to her heartbeat and also her tummy. Then he checked her skin surface, and that was when he found a bluish-coloured spot on her skin.

 

"Ahhh...I see the problem." The doctor said. "Mr. Horvejkul, do you see this bluish spot here?" He asked, pointing at the spot.

 

"Yes, what's that?" Nichkhun asked while trying to hush the baby, even though it didn't work.

 

"Blue skin means the underlying blood has a blue cast rather than the nice pink color of blood with lots of oxygen in it." The doctor explained calmly. "This is obviously a case of acrocynosis, which practically mean, there is only bluish changes on the extrimities. Fortunately, in most cases, it is quite normal in a child and it is definitely temporary."

 

"And what if it's not temporary?!" Nichkhun raised his voice without realizing it. He was too worried to notice the baby's cries getting louder.

 

"'It is a very normal condition associated with risk of having a fever and cold but nothing more dangerous than that'." The doctor explained further. "There are two reasons why the blood under your baby's skin might look blue. The first is that the lungs are not getting enough oxygen. Since oxygen is what makes the blood turn red, the haemoglobin inside the blood cells remains blue without the oxygen. And the second reason is that the underlying blood is moving sluggishly, so the normal veins underneath that carry the blue, oxygen-poor blood back to the heart are more noticeable."

 

"Oh, I see..." Nichkhun said, completely attracted now to the doctor's explanation, "And how do we know if there is insufficient oxygen?"

 

"Well, you can tell if there is insufficient oxygen in the blood by checking the color of the skin all over your baby's body. If there is a bluish cast everywhere, especially in areas with a lot of blood flow, this could mean all of the blood is blue and there could be a problem with the heart and lungs. More commonly, it's only certain areas like the hands, feet, or mouth. This is usually perfectly normal." The Thai began to relax a little. The bluish spot was on concentrated Lauren's hands and feet. The doctor further added, "But you don't need to worry if your baby's hands and feet turn blue for a short period of time when the rest of the body is pink and your baby is breathing properly. She could cry, so basically, she could still breathe."

 

"Okay, so now what should we do?" Nichkhun asked when he finally understood the whole situation.

 

"I'll supply some oxygen to her. Let me prepare the machine. For the moment, just rock her in your arms first and maybe sing her a song. I'll be right back." The doctor ordered and then left to get the equipments.

 

With Lauren back in his arms, Nichkhun gently rocked her until the cries eventually subsided. He whispered some words into her ears, sang her a lullaby he would sing to her every night and after a few minutes, she slowly drifted off to sleep. But occasionally, slight whimpers would escape from .

 

"Don't worry, baby. Mummy is here and everything's going to be alright." He whispered to her and brushed his lips against her forehead lightly.

 

The doctor came back after that. "Sorry it took so long. Put her on the bed first."

 

Nickhun placed Lauren back on the bed and the doctor placed the head hood on . The machine was and then wasps of oxygen could be seen flowing into . "Alright. Let her rest for a while. I'll come back to check on her in an hour."

 

"How long will it take before she wakes up again?"

 

"It depends on her. Probably an hour or two."

 

Nichkhun wondered if he should tell the guys. They were probably worried sick about Lauren right now. But the thoughts of leaving his baby alone broke him. Of all times, why did he have to leave his phone at home now? He decided to wait until she wakes up and prayed that the guys wouldn't get mad at him.


An hour rolled by slowly, but for Nichkhun, it felt like an eternity. Lauren was still asleep. When the doctor came in to check, there was still no changes to the bluish areas. He told the Thai to give Lauren another hour.

 

By the second hour, the bluish spots were almost invisible. Nichkhun rejoiced at the improvement as he kissed his daughter on the forehead again. The doctor came back to check and just to be safe, Lauren had to stay another hour.

 

At the end of the third hour, the bluish color was now completely gone. The doctor came in again, checked the baby's pulses and heart rate and then finally said, "Alright Mr. Horvejkul. The baby is all better, you can go home now." The doctor smiled. 

 

"Okay. Thanks doc..." Nichkhun carried Lauren into his arms and went to the door.

 

"And if there's any more problem, you can always come back here. I'll be happy to help." The doctor added.

 

"Okay." Nichkhun returned the smile and went out.

 

____________________________