Bitter Present

Who's my Daddy? [On temporary hiatus]

NICHKHUN IS HERE!!! Well, not me. In my update I mean. XD 

 

Sorry for the lateeeeeeeeeeeeeee update. I don't have excuses because I'm always online. RAWR! Just lazy....mianhae~

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Two days later, Mr. Horjevkul brought his son to Chatuchak weekend market, about an hour's drive from their motel. It was the weekend after all and the market would be busy for sure. When asked, the old man said nothing but drove on with a heavy silence lingering in the air. The uneasy turmoil inside Nichkhun became worse as more cars sped through in front of them and tall buidlings loomed closer than before. He fidgeted in his seat, trying to enjoy the beautiful scenery outside just to distract his mind, but even that wasn't helping. 

 

Lastly, after what seemed like forever, but actually only 20 minutes, Mr Horjevkul spoke, "Son, have you taken lunch?"

 

Like Nichkhun could eat anything right now. He was too nervous. And it didn't help not knowing what would happen when they reach the marketplace. He could, however, safely presumed they weren't going there to buy fruits and vegetables. "No." Nichkhun answered dully, his head throbbing just by thinking about his fate.

 

There was a frown on his father's face for a moment. Nickhun actually thought he cared. Like for once in his life, this crude old man he calls 'Father' might actually be concerned over him. But the frown was quickly replaced with a blank expression a second later when he said, "I don't know what these people would do. It's best you get something to eat first." as if Nichkhun was being sold illegally or something.

 

"Do? What do you mean by that, old man?" Bile was rushing up to his throat. His body trembled slightly, praying it was because of the air-conditioning and not fear. But he knew better.

 

Mr Horjevkul looked calm, like whatever is about to happen to his son meant nothing to him. "I can't say, son. I'm not sure myself. But it's best you get something to eat."

 

"I can't stomach any food right now." Nichkhun muttered weakly. He cursed himself for being so obvious. But then, any man in his stead would feel the same. If Wooyoung was here, he'd probably cry by now. Nichkhun tightened his fist. He was worried for the boys and his daughter.

 

"You need to eat." Mr Horjevkul emphasized the last word with a slight edge to his tone. Nichkhun somehow suspected his father was lying about being unsure. 

 

"What happens if I don't?" He bit back, almost hissing out the words. 

 

Mr Horjevkul heaved a deep sigh in return but his eyes were on the road, steadily maintaining the car at a reasonable speed. He could have lost control but getting them both killed would just be a waste. So, with both his eyes still on the road, he patiently uttered, "Look...I know it scares you right now---"

 

"You think?!" Nichkhun was already boiling inside. Every silent moment they shared insinuated the anger in him. He hated his father for being so cruel, all the things this violent old man had done in the past. If given a choice, Nichkhun wouldn't have heeded his call. But no, this old fart had to go and threaten his family and his daughter instead. Nichan would have stepped in. But Nichkhun also knew how dependant his mother and sisters were on his older brother. So the last thing he wanted to do was to call Nichan. 

 

Now, four thousand miles away from both homes (well, one is actually nearer because he's in Thailand), he was shaken out of his wits, with no clue of his future for the next few hours and no ideas for hatching an escape plan.

 

"---don't interrupt me when I'm talking, boy! Listen to me when I still have the patience to be nice." His father said sharply.

 

"I stopped listening to you the day you came in and whacked mum. You don't deserve the same amount of attention I give her!"

 

Mr Horjevkul pulled over and turned off the ignition. They were in the middle of the highway, so other cars began honking at them. But the old man didn't have a care in the world. He demanded Nichkhun to step outside immediately, which the younger Thai angrily obeyed, but remembered to slam the door behind him. This seemed to infuriate the older Thai further. He glared at his son, cocked his head to order Nichkhun closer.

 

A fist was suddenly thrown across Nichkhun's face when he took three steps closer to his father. It stung a little, but having learned muay thai back in high school, Nichkhun had learned to be alert. So the punch didn't get through as well as Mr Horjevkul had expected. "Damn..." The old man spat. "Don't you dare avoid my punches!"

 

"Why wouldn't I? You don't deserve to hit me the same way mummy does." This was just a figure of speech, really. Mrs Horjevkul had never in her life, hit her children. She loves them too much. Mr Horjevkul threw another punch and NIchkhun ducked in time. 

 

"You insolent vermin!" His father yelled back, radiating in anger now. Nichkhun had to be extra careful this time. He wondered if the old man had taken any alcohol earlier. The way he moved somehow gave Nichkhun the idea. No matter. He only had to be extra cautious. There was a drain behind his deranged father, and if Nichkhun wasn't careful, the old man might fall in. It's not like he started caring for him, but getting blamed for murder wasn't on his list of things to do in life. 

 

Mr Horjevkul had had enough. To be insulted by his own son, and now he couldn't even land a punch. Nichkhun had been badly educated, he thought, so he had to teach his son a lesson. 

 

"Stop moving so much." He scolded. Beads of sweat were forming on his forehead and it wasn't even truly hot yet. Nichkhun could actually feel the wind breeze slapping against his cheeks lightly. But his father was already panting like a dog, eventhough he only threw about four unsuccessful punches so far. Out of spite, Nichkhun took a few long strides back everytime Mr Horjevkul took one slow step forward. 

 

Every move he did made him tired, panting for air. He felt fatigue rushing up to his head but he didn't want to show his son that. Yes, his health had been deteriorating lately. But it was still no reason for him not to give an earful to his insolent son. "Father, what's wrong with you?"

 

Nichkhun asked, his voice cutting through the air like ice. He noticed the pantings, the exhaustion and also the pained expression on his father's face. It was only for a split second but it was there. And Nichkhun hated the worries he bore for the old man. Cruel or not, this man was still his father. 

 

"I said, stop moving!" Mr Horjevkul spat back. His eyes were getting blurry and every attempt to get closer to his son seemed fruitless. He threw in another punch and Nichkhun easily avoided it, but this time the younger Thai staggered a little, having lost proper footing. He tried reaching out for his father's arm, being the only thing stable enough he could hold on to, and before he could do that, Mr Horjevkul swung his fist around and landed a square punch across his face, before pinning him down against the hard tarred road. 

 

Another punch came in. Then another. And another. Nichkhun didn't fight back. He was pinned to the ground, the old man on top of him. He tried to push his father off but the old man was rooted there like a plant. When Nichkhun saw another raised fist in the air, he closed his eyes, hoping it could block out the pain. But oddly, the fist didn't land. 

 

When he opened his eyes again, there was a soft expression on his father's face and the insides of Nichkhun's stomach churn. What was the meaning of this? Why did he stop? With a shaky voice, he asked, "Why didn't you hit me?"

 

"It's because you learned your lesson. Get back in the car. We're late for the appointment." The old man got off and walked back to the car, leaving a very confused Thai behind. When Nichkhun got into the passenger seat, the engine was ignited once more and they went on their way again. But no one said a word. 

 

Right behind them, a yellow taxi followed along closely. Taecyeon was on his way to the stadium previously. When he saw a pulled over car on the highway with two men fighting on the road beside it, he could have sworn he recognized one of them.

 

Nickhun? There was no doubt. The Thai's hair was blonde and this guy's hair was the same blonde with slight brown highlights. 

 

Taecyeon held his breath when the older man sitting on top of Nichkhun suddenly raised a fist, threatening to unleash it on the Thai anytime soon. He wanted to help his best friend but the highway was too dense, too many fast cars, so he told the taxi driver to go into the slow lane and stop there. Nichkhun was pinned to the ground, but why he didn't fight back, Taecyeon couldn't fathom a reason. He could only assumed that old man was Nichkhun's father. 

 

The fist wasn't thrown in however, and Taecyeon released the breath he had been holding. The old man got back to the car after kicking the sides of his son a little, cocking his head to order Nichkhun to get back inside too. Nichkhun looked confused for a moment. Taecyeon didn't blame him. He was equally confused himself. When Nichkhun simply obeyed and returned inside, Taecyeon told the taxi driver to follow them. There were no questions asked. The taxi driver stepped on his accelerator and followed the old car from behind.

 

_________________________

 

 Yay!!! I'm done with another chapter. I apolgize for any spelling and grammatical mistake. I didn't check back the fic before I post it. I'm planning to update another one later. After I study, of course.

 

Thanks to all who subscribed and commented. Muahhhxxx, love you all!!!!

 

Opinions, anyone?