Surviving Parenthood - Life

Who's my Daddy? [On temporary hiatus]

It's been a few months since my birth day. And I'm really enjoying myself. But sometimes, I hate it. I don't like the loud weird sounds my daddies make. It goes 'pyooooong~' and then there's a weird smell in the air. I usually whine to show my disgust and mummy would give my daddies a whallop.

 

Also, I don't like my daddies' bad morning breath. They never brush teeth before they see me in the morning. Appa Jun even crawled to me one morning just to say hi because he was still too sleepy to stand up. I think it's sweet, but really, go brush your teeth first, appa!

 

Here's a list of what I don't like from my daddies.

  1. daddies' weird pyooong~ sounds (A/N: I meant fart sounds)
  2. morning breath. Phew!!!!
  3. Appa Jun's socks smell
  4. Appa Taec's armpits smells after exercise
  5. Appa Chan's stomach. Always so noisy
  6. Appa Woo's angry face
  7. Appa Nuneo's awkward hug
  8. they never buy me toys

 

I found out that number 8 has a reason. In the whole house, only Appa Woo and Appa Jun are working to earn a living. Eomma cannot work because she's still tired. Appa Taec coaches for the national team in football so he doesn't make much money unless his team wins. Appa Nuneo and Appa Chan are still in college, but I think it's their last year. I wish you luck, appas! Make Lauren proud.  

 

Other than the obvious hygiene reasons, my daddies are actually very fun and loving. They have a lot of problem taking care of me at first. But they're slowly learning.

 

______________________

 

Month 2

 

When they visited the hospital for the routine check-up appointment, it was to check on Nichkhun's health since the doctors were afraid that the post-natal condition would be worser on a man than an average female. After all, men aren't meant to give birth. Nichkhun was a rare case, one out of a trillion people, so extra care and attention had to be given. Wooyoung accompanied him alone to the check-up, while the others watched over Lauren in another ward. Chansung and Junho had classes though so they couldn't be there.

 

A request for a DNA test was made by Minjun, but the doctors said Lauren had to be at least a year old before any tests could be done properly, possibly because Lauren was a special case. So they had to wait. 

 

Once the check up was done. it was time to go home. No abnormalities were found, thank goodness. Since Nichkhun couldn't produce milk, illnesses like martitis wasn't likely. The surgical hole that was created to allow passage for the foetus was also healing slowly. Everything was fine, minus the fact that Nichkhun had been suffering constant headaches lately and there was a minor discomfort on his bottom whenever he sat down too long. He also had to stay away from certain types of food, especially spicy ones, so Wooyoung and Minjun had to spend a lot of money on proper nutritious food, not the usual ramen and ddeukbogi. 

 

Money became a scarce problem. Good food, diapers, milk powder and medications for the baby had to be prioritized. By the end of the month, there might not even be enough pocket money for Chansung and Junho. It was a tough time for the boys, but Minjun, Taec and Wooyoung were willing to sacrifice their lunch. 

 

While Nichkhun washed Lauren up in the bathroom, Minjun dragged Wooyoung into the kitchen and began to count their month's pay. "I have 300,000 won this month. It's not much, but I think we can pay the rent and bills first." Minjun said, dividing the notes.

 

"I've got 400,000 won. I'll put aside 100,000 for the month's supply of food. And another 100,000 won for the diapers and milk powder."

 

"Another 50,000 won to pay the hospital bills. We still have a balance of 60,000 won after that. The next appointment is in two months."

 

The boys began to separate the money they needed for household stuff, medication, debts, bills, rent and petrol. At the end of the day, Wooyoung was left with 10,000 won in his hand, and Minjun had 20,000 won. This would be enough for Chansung and Junho's pocket money for the rest of the month.

 

"We're BACK!!! Lauren, where are you?! Appa wants to play with you." They heard Junho's voice calling out.

 

Minjun and Wooyoung did not bother to greet the younger two. When Chansung and Junho entered the kitchen, they were shocked to see Minjun and Wooyoung sitting at the table, looking solemn.

 

"Hyung? What are you guys doing here? I thought you guys went to the hospital." Chansung asked, taking a banana from the counter.

 

"We were." Wooyoung said tiredly. "We came back."

 

"Money problems again? If it makes you feel any better, I only spent 5,000 won of pocket money last month." Junho said, taking a seat next to Wooyoung.

 

"Yeah, much better." Wooyoung smiled. "Here's 15,000 won for each of you this month." He handed the money over to Junho, who took it gratefully.

 

"I'll save it. Thanks, Uyoung." Junho leaned forward and gave Wooyoung a peck on the cheek.

 

"What about me?!" Minjun suddenly blurted out.

 

Junho sighed, got up from his seat and lightly planted a kiss on Minjun's cheek too. "There you go, hyung." He said, smiling. Chansung took his share of the money and returned to his room. It had been a long day and Lauren was the medicine they needed right now. An hour later, Taec returned home from work. Seeing the others crowding around Lauren on the couch, he quickly rushed to his room, took a quick shower before joining them in the living room.

 

Nichkhun was watching television, ignoring the stupidity around him. He was amused at the way the guys treated Lauren, and the baby was bright. Very bright. She knew when to laugh, smile and cry when she needed to. But for most parts, she was quiet, observing the insanity around her.

 

"I love her cheeks! Oh~" Taecyeon said, cupping his face in his hands and exposing all the aegyeoness in him.

 

"She's too adorable to be true." Minjun remarked softly. He leaned his body against Wooyoung, who was seated next to Nichkhun on the floor, enjoying the movie on TV.

 

"When will she be old enough to eat solid food?" Chansung asked.

 

"By next month." Nichkhun replied, without looking at the maknae.

 

"Can I feed her banana?"

 

'Yah! Why bananas of all the food? You're going to turn her into you!" Junho remarked.

 

"That's the point!"

 

Ignoring the younger two, Taec placed a finger against Lauren's little hands and smiled at her strong grip. He couldn't help but smile sheepishly at the baby. "I wonder...what if I end up being her father?"

 

All eyes turned to him suddenly. There was a long muted silence until they heard Wooyoung asked, "What?" His eyes were getting dark.

 

Taecyeon's attention did not waver. His eyes were focused on Lauren, watching the way she formed bubbles around and then constantly turning her head to stare at everyone's faces. Those eyes were huge, but they were bright. She knew who they were. "I mean... I think I like being a parent."

 

"That's because you're not home changing diapers and mixing milk formulas." Minjun stated. He shot a knowing look at Wooyoung, telling the younger boy to cool down. Wooyoung understood immediately and returned his attention to the TV. His hands were gripping Nichkhun's hands tightly. The Thai knew, of course, but he didn't want to say anything, afraid that it'll spark some fuse in Wooyoung. The younger boy still hadn't cooled down completely from knowing Nichkhun had slept with everyone.

 

"I want to be home. It's only until next week and once the game ends, I have two months free."

 

"That's bad."

 

"Why, hyung?"

 

"Cause then you're not earning, and we barely have enough for our own food and bills."

 

"Yeah, that's bad. Maybe I can do some part time job while I wait for the next game. Any suggestions?"

 

Minjun, Junho and Chansung started thinking about jobs, wondering what Taec could do without messing up badly. Even the simplest job like being a newspaper boy was a bad idea. He threw a newspaper directly onto the neighbour's dog once and he got chased until the tires punctured. The amount of bruises and cuts he received that day required fourteen stitches from the hospital.

 

"What about delivering milk?" Junho suggested. "I mean, small chances of it being hit by dogs."

 

"He might drink off all the milk. That's a problem too." Minjun stated. This received a well-rounded laughter from the boys, and Taecyeon pouted.

 

"Or... maybe you can be a part time tutor. Any subjects you're good at? What about English?" Chansung asked, looking at his hyung. Taecyeon thought about this.

 

"I could..." There was the toothy smile again. When Lauren saw it, she whined a little and looked away. The other boys noticed this and laughed.

 

"It won't work. You'll scare the children off." Minjun remarked.

 

"Hawker stall?" This time Wooyoung suggested. This wasn't a bad idea. Those ahjummas could use a big guy like Taec to carry heavy boxes of stuff. But how much could they pay?

 

"I could ask." Taecyeon considered. "There's one in the market nearby that I've been dying to work at. It sells dumpling."

 

"Doesn't mean you're getting free dumplings from working there."

 

"Why are you being so negative, hyung?" Taecyeon scolded Minjun.

 

"I wasn't being negative without a good reason. Anyway, it sounds good. You can just ask----what's that SMELL?!"

 

The boys started sniffing the air. There was a pungent scent lingering around them, but it mostly came from Lauren. They all looked at her, including Nichkhun.

 

Finally! It takes them a long time to notice my poo poo. It's so uncomfortable! But they keep talking and talking, so I have to make more poo poo until they see me. Eomma, change my diapers now. I teared up a little to show my discomfort. Eomma gets up from the floor and picks me up.

 

"Someone's stinky." Nichkhun said.

 

"Oh ya, I've never been here long enough to see how you guys change the diapers. Here's my chance." Taecyeon said, getting up to follow Nichkhun. Wooyoung went along the moment Taec got up. Minjun snickered, wishing them luck. He wasn't about to go in there and watch the horror unfold. No way! Not after the first episode. He would be enjoying a good time on the couch, watching television. Junho excused himself to study alone in the other room. Chansung wanted to watch the diaper-changing scene.

 

The bedroom door was closed after Chansung got in. And suddenly, he wished he didn't tag along.

 

____________________________________