At a Loss

Who's my Daddy? [On temporary hiatus]

Wooyoung returned home from work that day to bury his face against Minjun's chest and cry. One of the directors reminded him of the warning he gave about bringing a child to work, and because Wooyoung did not heed his words, he was given a month off from work until he sorted out all his family matters. And that wasn't even a sure thing he might get called back.

 

"It's an unpaid time off! And I'm not even sure the boss will call me back. He just told me and left." Wooyoung wailed, blowing his nose with Minjun's favourite collared shirt. The older boy would have killed him for that on normal days, but here, Wooyoung was too distraught to be scolded.

 

He patted his dongsaeng's back gently and muttered, "It's ok, Wooyoung ah. Khun is coming back soon. Maybe your boss will let you back at work."

 

"I messed up with the presentation today, hyung~" The younger boy said, his voice muffled. He was clutching on to Minjun's shirt for dear life, hoping that some miraculous intervention could change what happened. "We're not going into foreign markets anytime soon, and the directors....they had so much of expectation in me. I was sure I might get promoted to PR anytime soon. And now..." He blew his nose once more, and wiped the tears off his eyes.

 

Minjun was just as upset to hear the news. It meant having one less person to provide for the family, and that was bad. With the savings they had left, it wasn't enough to pay the rent. And Junho's exam fees. He looked at Junho, who was carrying a sleeping Lauren at the time and asked, "When is the deadline for your fees?"

 

"Next week." Junho exhaled, feeling sorry for his hyungs. He should skipped class to take care of Lauren. Chansung seemed just as deflated as he was, curling up into a ball on the couch with a sad look on his face. "I'm sorry for the trouble, hyung."

 

Minjun wasn't sure if he could cough up 300,000 won in a week. He might need to take up a loan from the bank. But since he'd already taken out half a million won last year, the bank might not grant him the loan. But Wooyoung....."Woo, you need to take a loan."

 

"A loan?" The younger boy repeated, straightening his back.

 

"For Junho's exam fees. I'm sorry for asking you this." Minjun said. He really was sorry. And he felt so helpless for only able to provide so little. "But I really can't do this on my own."

 

"I understand, hyung." Wooyoung murmured. "I'll go to the bank tomorrow."

 

Times were hard, but the boys had no choice but to preservere.

 

____________________________

 

"Wooyoung got a month off." Taecyeon announced, just as soon as he got out from a call with Minjun. Nickhun swerved his head in surprise. "It's unpaid by the way. And he could possibly be fired too." The big guy added.

 

"What happened?" The Thai felt guilty for not checking on his lover these last few days. He should have called when he had the time, but he was too busy making sure his mother and sisters were okay. And he needed to discuss some things over with Nichan.

 

"No one was around to take care of Lauren so he had to bring her to work." Taecyeon explained.

 

Nichkhun closed his eyes for a moment and inhaled deeply. Without him there to take care of Lauren, the boys had no choice but to spare their busy lives to watch over her. He never knew the consequences of that could end up being so dire. And now Minjun was the only one earning a sure income every month. Taec hadn't gotten a paycheck for over three months. "Is he okay?" He muttered silently, looking down at his phone.

 

"Minjun said he was crying the whole night."

 

The Thai immediately felt a strong twist in his heart. He should have been there to comfort Wooyoung.

 

"But good news is, Lauren could walk now. It's more like cruising, Minjun said. She had to hold on to something for support." Taecyeon smiled, putting a large smile on Nickhun's face too. 

 

The Thai was at least glad his daughter was fine. "I miss her, Taec. I really want to go home."

 

"We will, hyung. In two days time. Just hang in there for a bit more."

 

______________________________

 

Two days later, both boys were waiting in Incheon airport for Minjun to fetch them. The older boy said he was coming after work, so Taec and Nichkhun had time to spare while they waited. Nickhun called his brother once more to see if everything was fine. Apparently, Nichan hired some men to hunt their father down and make him answer for his actions in the court of law. At least that would guarantee their father's survivial without having to spend a single dime. After all, the old man was still flesh and blood.

 

The next issue was to guarantee their mother's and sisters' safety. Since the thugs had given some sort of enthusiasm to be involved in the Horjevkul's family lives, it was only a matter of time before they found out where Mrs Horjevkul and her daughters lived. Nichan suggested migrating their mother and sisters over to America, where he worked.

 

Nickhun had his own fair share of trouble to deal with. Those thugs knew about his family in Korea, and now he had to make sure no one knew where he lived. He searched his surroundings, trying to identify a familiar face amongst the crowd, but he knew no one there, and that scared him. Taec kept a close watch on his hyung, noticing the way Nickhun flinched everytime someone brushed past them.

 

"It's just a stranger, hyung." He wished he knew how to make the Thai feet better, but he was worried all the same.

 

Minjun eventually came around after office hours. He parked in front of the waiting bay and both boys went out to greet him. "About time you turned up, hyung." Nichkhun said, with a small smile on his face.

 

"I had work to do. Overtime." Minjun said grimly. "Get in. There's much to tell you guys, eventhough it's only been a week plus."

 

They got into the car and Minjun told them everything.

 

Wooyoung helped his dongsaengs around the house that day, cleaning off any obvious stains and spots they could find around the house. After Nickhun left for Thailand, the boys didn't bother to rid off their mess, and now that he was coming back, they wanted to make a good impression. Junho and Wooyoung, though the cleanest members amongst the six of them, were so busy with their lives the last few days to be bothered about cleanliness. Now that Wooyoung was sort of jobless, the house seemed sparklier than it had ever been.

 

They were merely doing some last minute spring cleaning, in case Wooyoung had forgotten anything.

 

"All done, Woodong ah." Chansung announced, after taking out the trash. Wooyoung wiped the sweat off his forehead with his apron and checked on Lauren in the bedroom. She was sleeping soundly in her crib. He went over to her and kissed her forehead. She woke up instantly. "Appa?"

 

"Ne~ appa here." Wooyoung said softly.

 

She extended her arms, urging him to carry her out. He didn't refuse her of course. "Put Lauren down." She ordered, and he obeyed that too.

 

Lauren loved the fact that she could cruise along the furnitures and walls now. Eventhough the house was not as big as Wooyoung's workplace, it was still ample space for her to roam around and get her exercise. She wobbled along the bedroom walls carefully, while Wooyoung watched her proudly from behind, ready to catch her in case she falls. Junho and Chansung welcomed her in the living room, extending their arms to see who Lauren would choose, but the baby ignored them and went to the front door instead.

 

"Eomma?" She asked, looking back at her daddies. They immediately smiled at her, nodding their heads and Chansung said, "Eomma is coming home."

 

Lauren had never been so happy to hear that. She missed her eomma terribly.

 

Dinner time eventually came around, and Woo fed her first. The other boys cooked some rice and omelette, and on Taec's request, made a pot of kimchi chigae for his return. Woo's Hyundai Atos appeared on time that day, just as they were about to take their seat around the dining table. And ten minutes later, Minjun, Taec and Nickhun barged in to meet everyone, their luggages left outside in the corridor because they were too happy just being home.

 

Nickhun went straight to his lover and kissed him on his forehead. "I'm sorry for taking so long, baby. But I'm home."

 

"Welcome home." Woo said, his eyes welling up with tears.

 

______________________

 

KHUNYOUNG/KHUNWOO MOMENT IS BACK!!!!!