The Broken Us

⚜ To Make or Break Us

I ignored my ringing cell phone and watched it buzz on the small wooden table. The blinds were shut and the tv was on, but I wasn't listening to anything except the specific ringtone playing from my phone. Stop calling me, . I kept my eyes on the vibrating phone. It wasn't until when the phone stopped ringing that I finally sighed out loud and got up from the messy motel bed.

                I walked over and grabbed the phone when it beeped to let me know that there was another new voice message. I huffed and opened it to see how many times he called me. 26 times, 11 texts, and 4 voicemails. I stared at the screen for a long moment and reached over to turn off the television screen before heading back into bed and clicking the voice messages. I laid down and then played them.

 

1st message: Good luck. It'd be hard to find a man who's willing to deal with your stupid jealousy. Bye~

 

                His voice was husky and his words were slurred as he chuckled happily. There were giggles in the background and then the message cut off. My  eyes got hot and I stared up at the ugly pale yellow colored ceiling, trying to blink away all the tears. Then, I closed my eyes for a moment and took a deep breath to calm myself and played the second message.

 

2nd message: I can't believe I even stuck with you for that long. I must have been out of my mind. I'm so glad we're through, because now I don't have to drag you around when I want to have fun. I'm having so much fun without you.

 

                He was laughing now and it felt as if my chest was going to collapse in on my aching heart. I loved his laughter so much. It had always warmed my heart and made my day better. But not this time. This time, his laughter ripped me from the inside out. I couldn't feel any warmth anymore. Instead, all I could sense was coldness radiating throughout my body. I could feel myself shaking from holding back all my tears. I quickly covered your eyes with my free hand when I felt the tears start to slip out and forced myself to press play again.

 

3rd message: Why did you leave me? I can't believe we ended this over such a stupid fight! How can you be so dumb?! Do you realize what you've lost?! The next guy who gets with you is a !

 

                I threw the phone across the room when I heard him shouting drunkenly in his voice message. My heart felt like it was set on fire and I quickly to the side to grab the extra pillow. I hugged it tightly and buried my face into it before sobbing my eyes out. A drunk man's words were a sober man's thoughts. I should have never held on for this long. I should have let him go that first time we fought when we were only three months into our relationship.

                Had he been thinking this the whole time we've been together? Is that why he constantly flirted with other girls? Was it because he didn't want to break it off and he wanted me to do it? Had I been holding onto nothing for these past two years? Had I been the only one that ever felt anything real? I didn't want to admit it, but Baekhyun's messages that he had left behind already answered all my questions anyway. I didn't have to listen to the last message or read any of the texts. I didn't need to hurt myself anymore than Baekhyun already had.

                It was a good thing that I rented out this motel room for the week, because I have no intention of leaving this closed room at all. I didn't care about missing work. I didn't care about my phone ringing again from somewhere in the room. My body was too tired from being kept up all night by Baekhyun's stupid calls and text messages. I should have turned off my phone, but even though I don't want to admit it...there was something comforting about hearing him calling me. Then I realized that the ringtone was different and stopped crying as I forced myself to get back out of bed so that I could go get my phone and answer it.

                "Hello?" I cleared my throat when I saw the number.

                "Tell me where you are right now." She was angry and even though I didn't want to, I gave in to her like I always did and gave her the location of the motel with my room number. I trusted that she wasn't going to say a single word to anyone else and got back in bed to wait for her arrival. I sniffed and pulled the blankets tighter around me and closed my eyes. I let the tears continue to fall as I breath in slowly. If I imagined hard enough, I could almost feel his arms around me again. I buried my head into the soft pillow and swallowed the lump in my throat. Why did I have to get so jealous? Why did Baekhyun have to be such a flirt? Couldn't we just be a normal couple with no constant flirting and jealous?

                A knock at my door broke my train of thoughts and I sighed heavily before pushing myself back up again. I wiped away all the warm tears from my cheeks and sniffed, "Coming." Then I got out of the bed again and slowly made my way over to the door and opened it. I looked up and blinked, staying silent while she looked back to me with a face that I couldn't read. I couldn't tell if she was pissed off or if she was going to try and comfort me. I think she was also debating, so I opened the door wider and nodded for her to join me in my lonesome motel room.

                "Sujin...say something." She muttered as she sat down in the chair beside the small table.

                "There's nothing to say, Eun Hee." I murmured back while settling back into my bed.

                "Baekhyun's worried about you." Eun Hee eyed me carefully and I felt my heart squeeze.

                "So?" Although my heart burst with a little relief, my answer came out short and sharp.

                "So. Stop hiding and fix this." She made sure to shoot me with her reply just as roughly as I had asked her. I cringed, because Eun Hee was like an older sister to me and I always took her advice. But this time, I didn't want to. I was too afraid, especially after listening to all the voice messages from Baekhyun. I could literally feel my chest caving in on my pounding heart. With every heart beat, the pain was pumped even more throughout my body. I turned my attention away from her piercing gaze and kept my voice neutral.

                "No. I want it all to end. I'm sick of trying to make a relationship out of nothing." I kept my eyes on the bed sheets when she surprised me with a soft chuckle, "A relationship out of nothing?" I glanced back up at her and expected to meet those angry eyes of hers again, but instead, I was surprised by how soft and gentle her stare was this time. I knew immediately what she was going to say next and even though I didn't want to, my eyes got hot and I felt tears begin to well up at the corners of my eyes.

                "How could you say that, Sujin?" Her voice was tender.

                "I mean it..." I swallowed the lump that was beginning to form in my throat.

                "No. You don't. Don't lie to yourself." Eun Hee got up from her chair and lingered over to sit beside me on the bed, "You know that your relationship isn't made out of nothing. Don't make yourself believe that just because you're hurt."

                "That's exactly it, Eun Hee. I'm hurt." I burst at her and felt the tears fall from my eyes as I continued without letting her reply, "How many times do I have to hurt?! I don't want to feel this pain anymore! I'm sick of it! I'm sick of how playful and how touchy he is with other girls! I'm sick of how jealous I get when I see him laughing and smiling with them like that! I hate how jealous I get! And I hate how I can't control it!" I in a deep breath and sobbed, "But what I hate most is that he doesn't seem to care how jealous or how hurt I get when I see him doing that! He never gets jealous and he never cares when guys hit on me! Why am I the only one feeling anything?! Does he even—" I choked on my words and covered my mouth.

                Eun Hee reached over my lap and grabbed a pillow before handing it to me and nodding, "Go on. Scream into it. Let it all out." I took the pillow from her and instantly buried my face into it, screaming as loud as I could while sobbing. I felt her warm hand pat my back gently and cried even harder into the pillow. She was right. I couldn't let go of Baekhyun. No matter how much I wanted to. I couldn't, because I loved him too much.

                "I feel you, girl...you know I do." Eun Hee murmured softly, "This is what I did every time Luhan got a new girlfriend..." I hiccupped and sniffed before looking back up to her and wiping away the tears. I remembered the times when she wouldn't answer any of my calls because of Luhan. She bit her bottom lip and smiled generously, "And I promise you...it'll get better."

                "How do you know?" I sniffed, still doubting her even though her words were comforting.

                "Because Baekhyun wouldn't have stuck with you for this long if he didn't feel anything." Her answer twisted my guts more than they should have and I immediately grabbed my phone and shoved it into her hands as my tears began fall again, "Then why don't you listen to his voice messages?!" I buried my face into the pillow and cried again while she pressed play.

 

Sujin? Baekhyun's voice was quiet and I gasped before sitting up again as Eun Hee handed my phone over to me. Hey, Babe...I'm sorry. I think I left some really stupid voice mails when I was drunk. There was another pause and then he sighed quietly. I'll be waiting for you at 8pm by the lamp post on the corner of the flower shop. Um...if you don't show up then...I'll know that we're over for sure.

 

                The fourth and last voice message ended and I looked back to Eun Hee with wide eyes as my heart skip a beat. Could this mean that Baekhyun didn't want to break up with me either? I looked back at my phone and noticed that my hand was shaking. What do I do? I didn't know what to do.

                "Come on." Eun Hee suddenly got up.

                "What?" My voice cracked slightly as I looked up to her. She only walked over and started packing up my stuff as she huffed, "It's only noon. Clean yourself up and put on some clothes. We're going to check you out of this ty motel. Then we'll head out to eat and then go shopping to get you ready for tonight." She threw me a towel and nodded towards the bathroom. My heart skipped a beat as I gradually got up from the bed and raised a brow.

                "Eun Hee...what makes you think that I'm going to go back to him?" I asked in a voice barely a above a whisper before she stopped packing my stuff and turned back around to face me with a blank face. Eun Hee blinked and let the silence linger a little longer between us and then shook her head, "You've fought through too much to let it end like this."

                "What did I fight through?" I croaked as I felt my eyes start to water again.

                "Jealousy." I frowned at her answer and she turned away to start folding my clothes as she explained gently, "You have jealousy, but it doesn't have to break you and Baekhyun. You've fought through jealousy for this long, why give up now?" She put down my shirt and then looked back at me with a small and encouraging smile, "Why not make something out of it?"


                "It's a quarter to eight...are you ready?" She handed me my hot chocolate as we exited the small coffee shop. Then she took a sip of her coffee while I shrugged silently as we slowly began to make our way down the block and towards the flower shop where Baekhyun worked together with her and Chanyeol.

                "What if...what if it doesn't work out?" I stopped walking and grabbed Eun Hee's arm.

                "What if it does?" She raised a brow and loosened my grip from her arm. My heart pounded crazily in my chest as I glanced down the block. A lone hooded figure separated itself from people around and walked over to the tall lamp post where they proceeded to wait alone. I didn't have to see his face to know that it was him. Baekhyun was waiting.

                "Go on, Sujin." Eun Hee gave me a small push and I stumbled forward slightly when her phone rang. She grunted and pulled out her phone while I glanced back at her as she answered with a sigh of irritation, "What is it, Luhan?" She paused and listened for a moment and then made a face, "Yah! Okay, okay! I'll be home soon! You're ruining a moment, you know? I'm trying to help Sujin and Baekhyun out here—" She stopped and her jaw dropped before she growled, "Luhan, you better be prepared when I get home because I am going to strangle you!" Then she hung up at him and sighed heavily as she quickly gave me a hug.

                "I'm sorry, Sujin, but I have to go kill Luhan now." She groaned as she pulled back.

                "What did he do?" I frowned and couldn't help but chuckle a little as she brushed her hair back.

                "He was trying to play a movie and jammed the dvd player. That idiot. Ugh." She shook her head and grabbed my arm gently, "Hey. Don't run away, okay? Everything will work out. And if it doesn't, you won't have to worry because I'll kill Baekhyun, too." She flashed a joking and kind smile before I looked down to my feet with a small light laugh.

                "Luhan's a lucky man. I'm glad that he chose you over Minah, Eun Hee." I looked back up to her.

                "I still don't know how or why it ended up this way." Eun Hee's eyes blanked for a moment.

                "Just ask him. He'll tell you. I'm sure of it." I smiled and pulled away slightly so that she could leave. Eun Hee nodded and snapped out of her thoughts as her eyes widened and she replied, "You do that, too." I arched a brow in confusion at her when she turned to leave as she added, "Ask Baekhyun, Sujin. I'm sure that he'll tell you, too." Then she gave me a small wave with another encouraging smile, "I'll see you." I waved at her and watched her disappear before checking the time on my phone.

7:55pm

                Five more minutes. I took a deep breath and kept Eun Hee's words in mind as I began to make my way through people and towards the waiting light. That is the first thing that I'm going to do. I'm going to ask Baekhyun why. I'm going to ask him why he did it. Why he flirted with the girls in front of me and why he ignored me. Maybe it wasn't just because of my jealousy? Maybe we didn't communicate well enough? There's always room for improvement, right?

                With every step closer to the lamp post and Baekhyun, I felt my heart begin to pound harder and harder against my ribcage. I quickly glanced at the dark windows of a closed shop to double check my reflection. I sighed quietly in relief when I saw that I looked okay before turning my attention back to the corner. I looked better than I did this morning at least, with the help of Eun Hee. I felt a little more confident as I neared the man that I loved so much.

                I could see him clearer now. Baekhyun was leaning against the post with his hands in his pockets as his eyes searched through people. He was looking for me. I felt a warmth start to grow in my chest. He was waiting for me. My feet picked up their pace. He still loved me. His head turned in my direction and his eyes caught mine. Baekhyun instantly straightened up and pulled his hood back. The light illuminated his face as he pulled back his hood and stepped forward. I bit my bottom lip and then let out a small breath, just about to call out his name when I saw him suddenly get pulled aside.

                I froze in my tracks and gasped as I watched the two younger girls start talking to him. He looked surprised as he leaned in. It seemed like he asked them a question. His eyes were wide as the girls continued chattering to him excitedly. My heart felt like it was sliced open and I slowly took a step back when I bumped into someone. Baekhyun turned to talk to them and just like him, I also turned away. I turned around to apologize to the random stranger that I had bumped into before stepping around them and walking away.

                I sniffed when I felt my nose start to run and swallowed the lump in my throat as I began to pick up my pace again. How could I even try? I was always going to be the rebound, wasn't I? How could he turn his attention away from me so easily just when we were about to make up? He saw me. Did my appearance mean nothing to him? I thought that we were going to get together again and figure this out. I was going to ask him why he always chose to flirt with other girls before me. I was going to ask him to forgive me and my stupid jealousy.

                "Sujin!" My heart raced crazily when I heard his voice call out my name from somewhere behind me. But it was too late now. I only ran even faster. It didn't matter anymore. Eun Hee was wrong. There was no way that this relationship was going to work out.


[Baekhyun's POV]

                "Sujin!" He called out again as he came to a stop. Baekhyun could swear that he had just saw her run this way just now. But as he tried to catch his breath while looking around, he couldn't find her face anywhere in the crowd.

                "Oppa! Oppa!" The two random strangers from before came to a halting stop before him and he groaned out loud as he turned back to face them while bursting out angrily, "What?!" The two girls cringed and stepped back in surprise at his sudden outburst, but he didn't care. Baekhyun glared angrily at the girls and hoped that they would get the message and hurry up and leave him alone.

                "I...I just wanted your number." One of the girls slowly held up her phone.

                "I'm looking for my girlfriend." He snapped angrily and turned around to start up the block to search for Sujin again when the girls stopped him again, "Oppa!" He growled out loud and turned back around to shout, "What do you want?!" The girls coward in fear, but to his disgust, the girl that had spoken up still held out her phone as she whispered quietly, "Um...if your girlfriend ran away from you...doesn't that mean that it's over between you two?" Baekhyun's eyes widened before he clenched his jaw and turned away from them.

                He began running again. The girls called out after him again, but he ignored them and continued running. His eyes searched the crowd of people as he continued calling out her name. He didn't care that people were giving him weird or dirty looks. He didn't care about anything else as he pulled out his phone and dialed her number. It rang once. Twice...and then went to voice mail. He stopped running to catch his breath again, "Sujinplease. Please don't let us end like this." His voice cracked as he tried to search for her face in the crowd again. His heart raced painfully in his chest as he continued to look for her.

                "I'm begging youPlease." The phone beeped to let him know that his time was up before he cried out angrily, "God damn it!" People backed away from him and started whispering as they passed on by, but Baekhyun didn't hear any of them as he redialed. It immediately went to voice mail before he hung up and crouched down as his heart dropped. Baekhyun slowly grabbed his hooded and pulled it over his head, blocking himself out from the rest of the world as he gritted his teeth and tried to take a deep breath to hold his tears back. It was over.

                They were broken.


Cameo with Eun Hee ^_^ from "It's Not Fair."

The end.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

or is it? let me know what you think? ;)

사랑합니다 ♥ 은애!