Chapter 8

Not Like Ice

Unfortunate Event #8 — Shot By Purpose.

 

"What in the world..." The forest deputy said as he stared at Leo, hovering on top of you. Instantly, he slid off and sat on the snow. He looked at the ground, not daring to meet his gaze. "Miss are you okay?" The policeman asked as he gave you a really weird look. You instantly stood up and brushed snow off yourself. "Oh yeah! We were just playing around..." You said as cheerfully as you could. The policeman stared at you for a while, then he took a few steps toward you. Right when he does, a twig snaps from behind him. "NOOO!" You screamed loudly. Right as he turns around, a man dressed in black wraps his arm around the policeman's neck, and with a hard tug and a knife in his hand, he sliced the policeman's neck. Just like that. The man dropped the policeman and he fell straight to the ground. "OH MY GOD!!" You screamed in horror as you looked straight into the man's eyes. You walked toward the policeman, your hand over your mouth. Terrified, you gently shook the police officer but it was too obvious that he was dead. Tears streaming down, you slowly slid your fingers over the man's eyelids and shut them. This man could've been a father. He could've saved a child from a kidnapping. He could've been anything. Until now. You slowly backed away from him and faced your father with furious eyes. Anger and pity filled you. "YOU ING BASTARD! YOU JUST KILLED A POLICEMAN!!!" You screamed as you ran toward your father and grabbed him by the shoulders, pushing him against a really rough tree. You could feel the splinters on your fingers as you kept pushing him onto the tree, over and over again. "Pull and push into the tree. Let him feel the splinters stab into his back." You screamed madly in your mind. "WHY DID YOU KILL HIM? HE WAS INNOCENT!!!" You screamed in his face. You suddenly started to knee his stomach over and over while you kept knocking his head into the tree. You grabbed the hairs on his head and banged it on a stump of the tree. Suddenly, hands grabbed your shoulder and pulled you away from him. As you let go, the old man slumped against the tree, gasping like crazy. "STOP IT! OR YOU'RE JUST AS BAD AS HIM!" Leo yelled out of desperation as he pulled you away from the man and back hugged you in a way that you couldn't get out of his grip. He held your hands in his. Right when you heard that, you froze in terror. "I'm NOTHING like him!" You said. "Look what you're doing out of anger..." Leo said back in his quiet tone. You took deep breaths to calm down. As soon as you did, Leo gently rested his head on your shoulder. Slowly, he hugged more firmly and swayed a little bit, which really really calmed you. "M-Mianhae... I didn't mean to..." You slowly said. "It's alright... we need to get him to a hospital.." Leo said calmingly as he slowly let you go. "A mental one..." You muttered as Leo walked over to your father, extending his hand for him to take it. "Why are you so kind to your killer?" The man scowled. "I'm sorry... but I'm not dead." Leo said as the old man took his hand and he helped him stand up. Right then, Leo pulled the man's arm back and gently pushed him onto his knees on the ground. "Sorry..." Le said as he kept a firm grip on him. Sighing, you took your phone out and called the police. After short minutes, an ambulance was heard. Leo jerked his head up in surprise as the policemen all filed into the forest. "PUT YOUR HANDS UP!" They yelled. You raised your hands up immediately. Leo didn't want to, but he did it anyway, which made him let go of the man. As soon as he did, the old man pushed Leo away from him and started to run, but he didn't run away. Leo fell backwards and landed hard on his back. Your father ran toward the police officers. He pulled his knife out of his pocket and aimed for the closest man. "NO STOP!" You screamed as you remembered he still had the knife. "PLEASE NOT ANOTHER INNO-." Suddenly, the police officer fell to the ground and your stupid father grabbed the gun from his pocket. As he did, police officers yelled in terror as they watched their comrade go limp. "NATHAN!!!" One of them screamed as he rushed over and shook his peer constantly. "Nathan Nathan!!" He screamed. Finally, you got a close look at him. This Nathan, was too young. He looked like he was 24. He was too young to die. To die like this. "STOP IT!" You screamed loud enough to scare the birds above. Everyone was silent as they all glared angrily at him. He backed away from the police, able to shoot any of them at any time. "STOP IT YOU BASTARD! HAVEN'T YOU DONE ENOUGH?!" You screamed again, but then instead of the police, your father aimed the gun at you. You stood there, horrified. Everyone stared in shock. For a second, Leo was was about to attack your father, but he threatened to pull the trigger. Leo backed away from him and stared into your eyes. Everyone was still. It was a complete standstill. You gulped before breaking the silence. "Go ahead." You said to your father, who was a good 20 feet away from you. "What?" Your father asked, still keeping a firm grip on the gun. "I said, go ahead. Shoot your own daughter. You already killed 2 innocent policemen." You said sternly, not showing any sign of your fear. You couldn't help but glance at Leo, who had blurry, fearful eyes. He mouthed, "Don't let him do it..." You bit your bottom lip and turned your head away from him, not daring to look at him anymore. "I SAID SHOOT ME!" You yelled out. "You're a low-life! You couldn't even raise your own child, yet you're here thinking you can protect her from anything, BUT WHO ARE YOU POINTING THE GUN AT? PULL THE TRIGGER AND GET OV-"
 
You were cut off as a gun shot rang out. A hundred sparrows shot straight up into the air as it echoed through the forest. Crows flew by, croaking loudly. You stood there, your chest feeling numb. Your breathing slowing down. A small breeze came by and blew some of your hair in your face. You stood there, staring eye-to-eye with Leo. You stared at him, at the terror in his eyes, at the tears dripping down his chin. Then the wind blew harder, and the world seemed to fall out of place. Everything became blurry, and black spots suddenly appeared in your vision. You couldn't feel your legs anymore, and you fell. It was as if the world had fallen into slow motion. You watched as everyone's eyes fell upon you. Eyes of anger, terror, horror, sorrow. And your eyes finally came upon your father's, which was full of joy.
You fell straight onto the snow, your face brushing against the soft snowflakes, your hair in your face. The sky turned to a dark gray, and the world never went back into its pace. You watched as a snowflake fell onto the ground, and everyone started shooting at each other madly. You could see Leo running towards you. With all your might, you tried to stay awake.
To feel his warm touch,
to hear him tell you he'd never leave.
 
You only meant to blink, but you couldn't open your eyes again.