Chapter 16

Not Like Ice

Unfortunate Event #16 — Another Nearly Impossible Promise.

 

[ LEO - POV - 1ST VIEW ]
 
You may skip this chapter.
 
 
 
 
 
I promised her I'd make it alright,
that she'd never get hurt again.
I sounded like an idiot, but I meant it.
How do you live in this world without getting hurt?
I don't know either.
But I made 2 promises in my life, and this was one of them.
I never broke my first one, and I won't break this one.
 
Hopefully.
 
On that night, I told her she'll never go back to the hospital again.
Yes, it meant that "I" was going to treat her wounds.
 
Later in the night, after finally calming her down, I did the unthinkable.
Sure, we've only known eachother for months, but I was sure that we're so close, we could get married.
Maybe I exaggerated that part.
 
 
 
"I-I'm going to take the glass out of your back..." I stuttered, unsure of what she'd say next. She didn't answer, nor look up from the ground. I understood if she's still mad, but at least save herself.
I knew her well, and I knew she'd give in. After a few minutes, she moved her lips.
"How?"
Her words were so simple, almost cold. Is she still in the trauma? 
"I will get tweezers and pull them all out." My mind was actually panicking, why did I sound so determined? 
"Alright..." She said quietly.
I stood there, unsure of what to do next. Why was this so awkward? 
Luckily, she made the next move by standing up and walking into the huge bathroom. Although she stood upright and walked casually, I knew she was in pain. 
She sat on the sink counter in the bathroom, swinging her feet gently as she waited. As I stepped in, I found myself rubbing the back of my neck shyly. Does this mean she's going to strip off her shirt?
Sure, I was virtuous and we have known and trusted eachother deeply, but it still felt very weird. Very, very weird. Or maybe it was because I have never seen a woman's body before...
Well then.
 
She glanced over at me, her eyes were dull and it was as if they... died.
Why were her eyes like that? Where was her natural overly cheerful glow?
She still sat there, waiting for me to do something. And then, I noticed the tweezers already waiting there. "C-Can you turn around?" I asked nervously. She nodded and shifted over, her back entirely facing me.
What now?
Suddenly, she slid her hands down her sides and tugged her jacket and shirt upward.
Oh.
As soon as she pulled her top off, she gently dropped it onto the floor, a small noise of glass hitting against the floor.
Good thing she had a jacket, because only big visible pieces were stuck to her back.
Fortunately, none went through her bra strap so I wouldn't have to see her entirely .
But still, her back was so smooth, it felt like those pieces of glass didn't even bother her skin.
But I was pretty sure they did.
Slowly, I reached over and pulled out a piece of glass. Slowly, because I didn't want to hurt her.
"Leo..." She started to say. As soon as I heard my name, I jerked my head up. 
"Pull it out fast..." She mumbled, her voice was almost trembling.
Oh.
She preferred fast and short pain rather than slow.
Nodding, I began to go quicker, making sure I didn't mess up and cause the wound to grow deeper or wider.
 
After around forty minutes, I set the tweezers down, my blood-crested hands resting on her bare shoulder. I leaned over, resting my chin lightly on her other shoulder. 
"It's all gone..." 
I wanted to hug her, but that'd cause more pain.
Too much pain, to be exact.
Although I wasn't completely leaning on her, I felt her sigh, a relieving sigh. At that, I slightly smiled and pecked her cheek lightly. "Mianhaeyo if it hurt..." I whispered, my spirit suddenly crestfallen.
"Aniyo... At least I'm not lying alone on a hospital bed.." She said. This made me frown, but she'd have to bring it up sooner or later.
"You should bathe now... wash all that blood away gently..." I said, pulling my head away. Now, I wasn't that much of a ert so I turned around and headed for the door,
but her warm hand grabbed my arm, pulling me back.
 
"K-Kajima..."
 
Her words were so frail.
Why was she still afraid..?
 
I slowly turned my head, peeking over my shoulder. "W-Wait d-do you w-"
"Neh."
I blinked in complete surprise, a small smile crept up but I couldn't pull it away and I felt like a huge ert at the moment.
But how could I?
This girl... she was unpredictable.
 
 
She was -. Sitting on the other side of the bathtub. But then again, I was also -. And sitting across from her.
I didn't know how, but my feet seemed enclosed her small feet, almost as if holding her. But, I wanted to hold her hand, because I noticed how un-still the water was. She was still scared. "Do you want me to clean off the blood on your back? I promise to be gentle." I offered in a soft tone. She nodded like a little child and shifted over. I gave her a warm smile, but it didn't seem to soften her up. As I took the bar of soap and slid it down the body scabs, I noticed how high her shoulders were. "What are you worried about?" I asked quietly, still concentrating on cleaning the wounds off. I wanted to make sure there was no blood in sight. 
"One day.. you'll be gone.. and... I'll be all alone... that's... the most painful..." She said in a shaky voice. Her tears escaped into the water, causing multiple ripples. I dropped the bar of soap. "Loved ones don't die for eachother, they live for eachother." I said, repeating myself after a quote I had heard from an anime that my dongsaeng, Hyuk, showed me. She stopped crying, but I could tell she wasn't over it yet.
Maybe this was a perfect time to make those cheesy love scenes. I backhugged her tightly, knowing it'd always soften her up. "I promised, remember?" I whispered into her ear. "I'm still scared." She had admitted. Since I didn't want to be a ert, I wasn't able to droop my head down, but instead just lean my chin on her shoulder. To make it worse, I didn't exactly know what to say next. 
"But...Oppa loves his jagiya." I said with a pout, hoping it'd work on her. Since my face was touching hers, I felt a smile. And a giggle, too.
"Saranghae." I whispered before kissing her cheek. 
Now that I think of it, I haven't kissed her in a while. I guess we weren't like those other couples, who'd kiss eachother like giving CPR every hour.
"Nado saranghae." She whispered back, her face flushing a bright pink.
I picked up the bar of soap again and began to scrub. While doing so, I thought of a plan.
 
I know how to keep her safe now.
 
Later that night, we ended up sleeping with eachother. She nestled in my arms, and I hugged her tightly. We were both warm, both comfortable. Safe? I hope so.
 
In the early morning, I sat there, waiting for her to get up. When she did, I said it straightforward.
 
"Jagiya, pack up."
 
 
______________________________________
 
 
[ Okay, so this chapter was cheesy and you could've skipped it if you wanted, but I wrote this chapter to show my readers how close they were, and how deep their affection was. I'm going to make a chapter layout now!
 
Next Chapter :
- Cheesy
Chapter Afterwards :
- Violent + VERY sad ;~;
Last Chapter :
- Will make you cry.
 
In my opinion, out of this whole fanfic, I'd probably only read the last two chapters.
 
Lastly, this story is a "Series of Unfortunate Events" and in the end the most brutal event happens, but a new event is created. ^^ ]