Chapter 2

Not Like Ice

Unfortunate Event #2 — Being Misunderstood.

 
 "GET OFF OF HIM YOU B*STARD!" You yelled as you ran back toward him. With your might you kicked him in the back, knocking out the air in his lungs. Leo nearly fell backwards, panting and gasping. The man started coughing like crazy. You were about to kick him again when Leo grabbed your wrist. "Stop." He said while still panting. His eyes glared at you, making you put down your foot. "He didn't do much to you." Leo said rather quickly. ".... He tried to strangle you..." You mumbled back. "He tried, but he didn't." He replied in a merciful tone. The man started to sit up and rub his chest. "M-Mianhae.." Was all he could say. Fury raged inside of you, but Leo gripped tighter on your wrist, telling you to let it go. "Sir, I hope you don't attempt to rob anyone anymore." Leo said in a polite tone. You give Leo a shocked face. Clearly Leo did not hear what the man told you. "L-Leo..." You say. The man grunted as he stood up. He looked into your eyes. "That was a hard kick..." He said in a rather praising tone. You bit your bottom lip and just nodded. Leo gives you a confused glance but shakes it off. Slowly, the man walked off until he made a turn and was out of sight. Right then, you forgot you were holding your breath. You took huge gasps of air in relief. Leo let go of your hand. "You shouldn't do that." He said plainly. "Do what? You don't get it." You said as you stretched your foot you used to kick him, for it felt sore now. "You shouldn't have tried to hurt him more than what he has done." Leo said emotionlessly. You looked down at the ground. "He was hurting you..." You said, hiding the fact that he wasn't trying to rob you. Leo sighed. "You should be more gentle... I think you really hurt that poor man's lungs." Leo said as he looked in the direction the man took off. "Pfft. Poor my ." You said in your mind.
"Maybe I'm not a super gentle person you think I am when it comes to saving someone." You said, a little upset. 
"I never said you were." He said in reply. "It sure felt like it..." You mumbled. 
"I didn't mean it like that... You act like there's .... something else." He actually stumbled to say. 
You bit your bottom lip to keep from saying anything else unecessary. 
"Doesn't matter." You said plainly. 
You both stood there, still, quiet. The occasional breeze of the wind passed by you two.
 After a few minutes of silence, Leo broke it. 
"Thank you..." Leo said a little unsure as he gave you a small bow. 
It's silent for a few more minutes.
"... I'm just going to go home now... See you at school...." You mumbled glumly. Leo gave you a sad look as you turned and headed for your house. "This can't be it..." Leo thought in his head, but his body was to chicken to daringly grab your elbow again.
Without looking back, you shut the door. Leo stood there, still confused about what happened. 
He tried so hard to get you as his friend. Had he said something wrong? Was he missing something? Leo thought about those questions as he turned and trudged through the snow heading home. Sighing, you leaned on your door, sliding down and slumping onto the ground. "He doesn't get it..." You grumble as you fix your hair back into its natural place. After its all nice and neat you looked out a window. The snow started to fall again, but more heavily. "That man wanted something else..." You whispered to yourself.