Chapter 12

Not Like Ice

Unfortunate Event #12 — Taking Too Long.

 

It's been a week now, your infection was numbed by the nurses again, but fortunately the infection had worn off due to multiple antibiotics. Painful as it was, you were happy that you weren't going to die.
Nevertheless, you were still upset.
The nurses had told you Leo had left the hospital a few days ago.
He left, and didn't say a word.
 
P O V — L E O
 
Taekwoon ran through the snow, his breath panting heavily. His muscles ached, but he ignored it and kept running. 
The house was nearly in sight.
He ran faster, ignoring the pain in his chest as his lungs really needed rest.
 
"WHO'S THERE?!" A woman cried out from the house as she saw the stranger approaching.
"GET AWAY!" She yelled as he neared. 
For a second, she nearly grabbed a stick to throw at him, but as soon as she caught a glimpse of the young face, she put it down gently. 
The youth climbed up the wooden stairs heavily, panting with each step.
"How did you find me?" She asked, pushing a rocking chair toward him. He plopped onto the chair, finally resting. The woman let him catch his breath for a moment before awaiting for his reply. 
"Her mother.... your her mother." Leo said through heavy pants.
"Aiya! I can't understand a thing you're saying. Get inside boy." She said before opening the door and goading him to come inside. Leo walked into the cozy house, the warmth really soothed him.
She sat on the couch and he sat in front of her.
"Come back." He said pleadingly.
"Where?" 
"Home."
"This is my home."
"No, your home is with your daughter."
"You are mistaken, I have no daughter."
"Don't lie about the past, that's no way to forget it."
"Who are you to tell me about my past?!"
"Don't you ever worry about her?"
"Why should I?!"
 
Leo silenced himself, it was useless to persuade this woman, she had obviously tried much to forget the past.
"If that's all, then you can leave." She said, her voice sharp and demanding. 
"I cant."
"Why not?"
"If I go back, she'll be heartbroken."
"Why!?"
"Because I left her and I came back with nothing."
 
The woman paused at his words. Was her daughter dying for a mother or something? 
"So what, you want to go hide and live in the woods, too?" She asked, crossing her arms. Leo shook his head. "I don't hide from the past." He said quietly before standing up. "Go ahead! Leave!" She yelled as he walked to the door. Leo left the door open on purpose as he exited, jumping down the stairs and beginning to run.
 
The woman watched him through her window. The figure ran fast to her surprise. "Did he really come all the way here..." She mumbled as she propped her elbow up and rested her chin on her palm. "That boy has some guts to come here." She said, a slight smirk on her face. "Eh.. It can't hurt to help him." She said before standing up.
 
"BOY! COME BACK HERE!" She screamed as she ran through the snow. He wasn't anywhere in sight and his footsteps were invisible. "Odd." She said as she looked down. "Kamsahamnida." She heard his voice say. As soon as the lady turned around, she saw the youth bowing politely. 
"Hmmph. You knew I was coming?" She asked. Leo rose and smiled. "Neh. You're kinda like your daughter, although she's not as stubborn or grumpy." He said humorously. The woman snarled at him and walked on. Leo covered his mouth with his palm to hide his laughter.
She was nothing like her.