CHAPTER 5

COOKIES AND CREAM

“Do you mind if we take a walk?” Nickhun asked politely.

Min nodded shyly. While still holding hands, they walked around the theme park.
First, there was an awkward silence, so when Min was about to open to talk, Nichkhun started talking.

“I want to thank you for the other night” Khun started.
Min stared blankly at him.

“You know, when I came in your patisserie in the middle of the night”

“oh, right” Min said embarrassed.

“What’s the name of your patisserie? I think I overlooked it, since it was in the middle of the night”

“It’s called Cookies and Cream. We both thought of it, me and Ara” Min answered.

Nichkhun thought for a while and then smiled to himself. Min felt a bit offended since he was laughing at the name, so she pulled away her hand from his and crossed her arms.
Nichkhun on the other hand, looked surprised.

“Did I do something wrong?” he asked, feeling worried.

“Not really, but I have a feeling you’re mocking my patisserie” Min said, trying to be stern but not too harsh at the same time.

“oh, really. If I made you feel that way, then I didn’t intend to. Mianhaeyo” he apologised.

“Then why were you smiling to yourself, especially when I said Cookies and Cream?”

“oh that?” he said and smiled again.

“you see!” Min said feeling offended again.

“I’m sorry but it’s not what you think. Take my hand and I’ll tell you why” he said offering his hand again to Min, “I know that you’re still cold”

Min hesitated but what he said was true. The time when she pulled her hand away from his, her hand felt cold again.

It was as if Min had two minds. One was telling her to not accept his hand, so she looked away pretending to still be angry but her other mind automatically took his hand.
Nichkhun smiled at Min even if she was looking away.

As they walked, Nichkhun explained.

“The reason I was smiling because the name Cookies and Cream applies a lot to the both of you. Even though I’ve only met the two of you a couple of times, I think it makes sense. Did you two have a special meaning to the name Cookies and Cream?”

“No, not really. What do you think it means?”

“Well, in my opinion, Cookies is Ara and Cream is you” he said.

“Mwo?” Min said confused.

“After meeting Ara, she seems to be a tough girl and if I’m not mistaken, hot-headed. That’s the crunchy part of her, like a cookie, but I know that she’s actually a kind person with a lot of passion for things that she enjoys doing, and that’s the sweet part of her.” He explained thoroughly.

Min nodded. What he was saying actually made sense.

“as for you, you’re the cream. You’re soft and gentle and you can go with anything like coffee, tea and ice-cream.”

“Are you some kind of fortune teller?” Min joked.

“No, but I thought so too in the beginning. But Taec says that I’m just another freak of nature” he said and laughed at himself, “anyway, can I ask you something, Are they together? Taec and Ara?”

“I’m not really sure. They might like each other but they’re just hiding it” Min explained.

‘Why the hell did I tell him that! Ara’s gonna kill me if she found out I told him’

“Why? Do you like Ara?” Min asked to make him forget about what she just said about Ara and Taec, but then she realised what she asked, and tried to hide her yet-to-come-disappointment.

Fortunately (or unfortunately), Min’s phone rang.

‘yoboseyo?’
‘Min! It’s Ara!’
Min looked away from Khun so he wouldn’t be able to hear their conversation.
‘Yah! Ara! Where are you?’
‘Taec and me are headed somewhere else. We’re not at the theme park anymore’
‘MWO! GET YOUR BACK HERE!’

“Is there something wrong?” Khun asked behind her.
Min turned around and shook her head, and she turned around again cursing in the phone.

‘Give me the phone to Khun’ (Taec in the background ‘Stop calling him Khun!’)

Min gave the phone to Nichkhun.

‘yoboseyo?’
‘Khun sshi’ ( ‘Stop calling him Khun!’)
‘ne, this is Nichkhun’
‘Please take care of my Min. If you can, please bring her home by 10pm’ (‘She’s not a kid anymore. Just let him bring her to a hotel or something’)
‘Yah! Shut up!’ [ ttak! ? the sound of Ara hitting Taecyeon in the head]
‘ne, arrasso. We’ll be heading home now’
‘komawoyo, khun sshi!’ (‘for the last time...ttak! ttak! Ttak! Ttak!’ BBONG!)
‘TAECYEON!!!’
‘yoboseyo? yoboseyo?’

“What’s wrong?” Min asked.

“She hung up” Nichkhun said giving Min back her phone, “she told me to bring you back home now, since it’s nearly 10pm”

“she did?” Min said trying to sound grateful and happy, but in her head, she couldn’t stop cursing Ara.