Skyscraper

No More Control

 

By the time you reach the your new flat building in the city, it is pitch black out. The city lit with beaming lights, reflects on your attitudes. Even though you should have jet lag and have been knocked out hours ago, you and Ara are glowing just as the apartment building is. The structure of the building is modern and magnificent. You mentally thank and bless the company employee who was in charge of assigning apartments. You step onto the chalky sidewalk and take in the sight of the laser blue floodlights illuminating the white glass on the tall skyscraper. Walking through the glass revolving door felt like a dream spinning you around. You look at Ara to see her expressions change and this time she looks like a little four year old girl, walking through a castle for the first time. You smile. You are happy, because she is happy.

 

The lobby is more extravagant than the outside though. You see a familiar face stare at yourself through the black marble floor, its reflectiveness reminding you of clear water. The bright white walls scream for the attention it won’t receive, due to the dim light coming from the cylinder shaped lanterns above your head.  You sigh, bidding farewell to the architecture that will have to wait for another day. Turning towards the front desk you see a young girl a little older than yourself, smile welcoming you. She had jet black hair and cute front bangs covering her thick straight eyebrows that made her look younger than she really was.

 

“Good afternoon.” She said with a genuine smile. “How may I help you?” She says smiling warmly. Before you could answer Ara comes up from behind you, almost jumping up on the desk.

“We have a room here!” Ara says enthusiastically.

“Oh. Yes of course. May I ask your name?” Says the lady, trying to hold in a giggle from the way Ara is acting.

“My names Ara.” She says smiling. “What’s yours?” Ara looks down and blushes a little, realizing that she might have been to forward. You interrupt before the lady has time to answer.

“I’m not sure if we will be staying in the same room, actually.” You explain that your reservations were made by your company and give her your name.

“Actually, yes, we do have separate reservations.” She says raising a brow. Grabbing a card from the back room, she comes back walking out from behind the desk.

“My name is Sunye,” She says turning to Ara, “I will take you to your rooms.” She says giving you both a friendly look. You all walk towards the elevator. The outside was covered wholy in mirrors and when you step inside you realize in amazement that you can see through, just like glass. Shocked you see that the building has forty floors, not including the underground parking and the roof. I wonder what is on the roof? You think to yourself. You turn back to see the button she presses, First stop...Level 39!? That high! wow.

“Alrighty! That was a long ride. This way please.” Sunye says keeping up her cheery mood.

Excited to see the rooms you and Ara barely contain yourselves, using what little self control you have left. Sunye unlocks the door with the card from earlier. You stand in shock, while Ara’s mouth is floors beneath her.