Separation Behind Us

No More Control

His hand is warm and definitely much bigger than your own, and it’s really soft. He holds onto yours tightly and you blush thinking about how you mistook him for Ara. “Stupid.” You mumble to yourself as you bonk yourself on the forehead.  He smiles, looking back at you on the escalator, still holding your hand. You look up, no longer staring at the stairs moving underneath your feet. You both are off the escalator now, and looking around the eating area.

 

“Where do you think she would have gone?” He asks, putting up his hood and sliding on his sunglasses. You secretly squint your eyes at him, not understanding his reasoning.

 

“Maybe she decided to sit down in the waiting area?”

 

“Yeah, lets check there.” He says as he flashes you a smile.

You look around aimlessly and your eyes land on a girl waiting in line in front of the information desk. She is wearing gray sweatpants and a hoodie! You point towards the direction of the person and unconsciously let go of ‘guy Ara’s’ hand. And as you are running towards who you now recognize as the real Ara, you don't notice the huge crowd of people coming in off the recent plane.

 

“Ara!” You shout as you run into her arms.

 

“Y/N, I was so scared! All I wan-te-ed was-s some Jam-ba Juice!” Ara says as her eyes fill with tears and she breaks down on your shoulder.

 

“It’s okay! You don’t have to cry!” You say as you pat her back and grab her shoulders putting her in front of you. “Don’t separate from me again, Okay!” You say, feeling like her mother. “And turn on your phone!”

 

“Alright...” Ara says, still sniffling.

 

After you make sure she turns her phone on you think about the guy who helped you search for your friend...and how he is not here. “Ahh! Dammit! I forgot to get his number...And he was really cute too!” You complain to yourself.

 

“Y/N, we can go now, right?” Ara says, standing up to pick up some luggage.

 

“Definitley!” You say with a smile, trying to console the obvious repentance that was threatening to drip from her eyes.


Outside you and Ara go. You hail a bright orange cabbie parked in front of the curb. The inside is a lot cleaner and newer than what you are used to. You decide that you can definitely get used to it being clean. The seats are not the sticky sweaty leather that you are used to and the windows are not the cloudy fingerprint covered mess you know well either. This metropolitan city has a fresh new appearance, not only in the buildings themselves but in the people as well. You look outside and see the nogalistic blue sky turning purple from the setting blood orange red sun. The reflectant metal buildings pass by as they mirror the warm sky.