Sorry, Wrong Person...

No More Control

 

“Omygod! I am so excited! This is the best job transfer, ever!” Your friend says as you both wave down a taxi. A bright yellow cab pulls up next to the curb as you both grab your luggage.

 

“What hotel are we staying at again?” You say as you hand the cab driver your matching Gucci luggage.

 

“Um...not sure...I should probably find that out before we arrive...shouldn’t I?” She says searching through her bag.

 

“It’s fine, just relax, I’m sure you will have time when we get to the airport” You say opening the door of the cab and nudging your friend to enter.

 

“Wow! This is so exciting! All our hard work paid off!” She says smiling out the tinted window.

 

“Just remember that we need to be very professional around them...You don’t need to thank them too much. Remember, we earned this.” You say bringing her back to earth.

 

“I know, how do you think I got the job? I know how to handle myself.” She says sticking her tongue out at you.

 

“Yeah...I totally agree...” You say barely containing your laughter.

 

“So, do you think they will put you with a group right away?” She says.

 

“I don’t know, but they did recognize my skills, so they probably will.” You say nodding for reassurance.

 

You and your friend, Ara, are going to Seoul, South Korea, for two different jobs at an entertainment company. Ara is to be a receptionist for the company, she is very proud. You are very supportive of your good friend and make sure that you are always giving her encouragement. You were given a kpop group management position at the same company and will be co-managing a few different kpop groups.

 

The cab driver helps take your luggage out of the trunk, and you both walk up to the doors.

 

“Come on! we don’t wanna be late!” She says pulling your arm. You board the plane and everything goes smoothly, but you are nervous because you have never been to Seoul. It is such a big city, but you tell yourself to calm down, and then you are fine.

 

You wake up to the sound of a womans voice over the speakers, she is saying that the plane has landed, and that you have arrived in Korea! You and your friend exit the plane and head for the nearest restroom. She goes in first while you wait with the luggage for your turn. But when you come out, she isn’t there anymore. You look around aimlessly, thinking that she just stepped away to stretch her legs. But still you don’t see her around. At this point you take out your phone, with it’s cute mushroom cell charm, and call her. But, her phone is off, due to the plane flight. ‘Why, why now, why here of all places...’ you begin to think to yourself. You are not worried for yourself, but for your friend. Ara is timid and very shy. You have always been there for Ara, all through college you protected her, keeping her safe. But here in the city you start to worry that she won’t be alright, especially since she does not know Korean very well. You are fluent in the central dialect of Korea, known as the Seoul dialect. Thinking hard about what to do, you decide that she is an adult and that she is capable of finding you on her own. After several minutes of waiting, you rule this theory out, continuing your search for your lost friend. Going towards the luggage pick up area, you see a person in gray sweatpants, whose dark hair is in a ponytail just like Ara.


Running towards the escalator while dragging the luggage with you isn’t easy, but you manage, willing yourself not to lose her again. “Where is she going? We already have our things with us.” You think to yourself, realizing that bigger belongings were shipped to your new city penthouse apartment. You are now by all the luggage carousels, seeing the person walking towards the door. You push your old, outdated prescription glasses to your nose and squint as you tap the person on their shoulder. This person is surprisingly way more built than your friend, and you realize that this is not  your friend, but a guy!