Reject

Overweight, yet Loving You

Some time back in eighth grade, Yun had first discovered that her blood pumps faster at the sight of a boy named Byun Baekhyun. 

Initially, she did not know what to do with the butterflies creating havoc in her young heart - but by their second year of high school, Yun had resoluted that she would tell Baekhyun how she feels towards him.

Of course, the female teenager imagined that her crush would say 'I like you' back, and the pair would live happily ever after.

 

But the fairy tales in books lied to her.

 

Although, to be fair - Yun has always known that the fairy tales of her childhood held much more truth in them, than the adults ever cared to explain to her.

Despite the fact that the picture always appears to be complete with the line 'happily ever after', it had always seemed to have been forcibly put in place in order to match the 'once upon a time' at the beginning of the tale. Because what good is a love story, without a fantastical start and idealistic ending?

But princes never fall for the dirty girls covered in ash; they fall for the lovely lady in glass slippers and glamorous dresses. Snow White cannot love any of the seven dwarf men who had saved her life; because it requires a handsome stranger's kiss to break the spell - not a short and ugly friend.

 

Real life, although as sad as any fictional story, is never as pretty as books can describe.

 

"...Y-Yun," Baekhyun stutters guiltily into the phone, "I, uh..."

"I know," Yun interrupts hastily, "it's fine - I know you don't like me in that way. But...I still want to thank you for letting me love you. Thank you for not shying away when I confessed, and thank you for sticking by my side like a true friend - even after I told you that I see you as a man."

"Gratitude accepted," Baekhyun thumps his chest loudly upon 'receiving' Yun's message, "but I'm also sorry; I cannot ever apologize enough for not being able to return your feelings, and for rejecting your heart."

"Okay, now this is getting too cheesy," Yun laughs loudly to camouflage the pain constricting , "I rang you to talk to you about my life issues - not listen to you reject the most amazing girl on earth a second time."

"Yeah," Baekhyun follows her sounds of laughter awkwardly, "sorry about that, too." And Baekhyun did mean his apologies to Yun sincerely. He admits that Yun is a lovely girl with an outstanding personality...but...

 

She doesn't look good in skinny jeans.

 

Since a long time ago, Baekhyun has had a sort of for long legs on girls. Maybe it has to do with the fact that his own two lower limbs are only average in length and width, but the attraction he feels towards girls sporting straight, thin legs is undeniable. Skinny jeans just happens to be that one article of clothing which shows off one's leg shape perfectly.

And Baekhyun knows it's shallow; he has always thought of himself as something of a gentleman with dignity and maturity - but when faced with hormones and testosterone, logic goes flying out of the window.

 

Now, the older girl whom he has been crushing on since entering the SM company has finally noticed his existence - and Baekhyun couldn't be happier for Taeyeon's new-found attention. However, a nagging voice at the back of his conscience also chides him from time to time, to reflect upon his own behaviours. 

Taeyeon is in no way a bad person - in fact, she is the exact opposite of what one would assume about a beautiful girl wearing somewhat skimpy clothes under flashing stage lights. She is funny, helpful, smart, and responsible; everything that Baekhyun is, as well as everything that Baekhyun wants to be.

So it's not unjustified that the younger male would feel attracted to this ideal girl, who has only ever appeared in his dreams, and on television. But Lee Yun is his best friend; and any human living with moral integrity would agree that rejecting a friend of more than half a decade's love for him - simply for her looks - is downright cruel.

 

I can only be sorry towards you; because I'm not good enough to say 'thank you for loving me'.

 

With every phone call that Yun makes and every muffled sob that travels into the phone as she wipes her tears silently away, Baekhyun feels more and more apologetic. He's sure Yun didn't mean for her troubles to cause Baekhyun discomfort - but despite how carefree and witty he may appear on the outside, Baekhyun has a very weak spot for his special, overweight friend.

The feeling of being shunned out of social groups and regular teenage activities is all too familiar for Baekhyun. He knows how terrible it is to have to sit on in a bus seat alone; because the seats in Seoul are narrow and can only fit two thin people side by side. He knows how disheartening it is to hear others whispering quietly among themselves; stealing glances at the fat body standing beside them. He knows how repulsive it is to look in the mirror every morning; seeing only the layer of fat that sits between the otherwise attractive face and neck. Baekhyun understands - because he's been there and he's experienced it all.

Thus why he wants to help Yun.

...But, how?

 

Seeing his friend utterly miserable and extremely low in self confidence, Baekhyun is expecting the unavoidable self-hatred and depression; but he still does a double take when Yun speaks calmly into the receiver: "I want to drop out. I don't want my degree anymore...I just want to get out of here."

"No! What are you talking about?!" Baekhyun asks incredulously, "you're in your third year! One more year and you can get that piece of paper you've been working so hard for!"

"I don't need the degree anyway," Yun sighs in defeat, "singing is all about talent and technique - and I am confident in that I have both, so a piece of paper won't prove anything more than my voice can."

She's got a point, he admits to himself secretly, "But still!" Baekhyun scrambles around in his head for a plausible excuse, but is able to find nothing. 

 

"Don't worry about me," the smile in Yun's voice reaches Baekhyun's ear, "I won't starve and die on the streets; I just don't want to be in an environment where everyone is judgmental anymore. School has always been full of people who are beautiful and youthful and proud...it's been like that ever since elementary school and I just can't seem to fit in."

"Let's be rational here, Yun," Baekhyun reasons calmly, his more mature self taking over at the prospect of his friend's future going down the drain. "The society in which we live in is based off of judgment - everyone works hard because they want to achieve something better than others. If you give up and simply expect people to stop talking about you, both good and bad, then I believe you are not yet mature enough for adult life and broader society." Wow I sounded cool just now, Baekhyun internally cheers himself.

"But..." Yun suppresses a sigh, "Is it that hard to simply be accepted?"

"No, it's not," Baekhyun reassures her sincerely, "but you've got to work for it - everyone wants acceptance and respect, but it's not something that is simply given to you for free."

 

"What should I do then?"

 

"How about..." Baekhyun grins as he remembers his own experiences, "lose some weight. You said you're fed up with the judgement and you want to get rid of your fat - why don't you do just that?"

"...Will you...will you help me?"

"Of course."

 

Yun closes her eyes, "...As long as I have you by my side, I think I'll be able to do anything."

A slow warmth creeps into Baekhyun's chest, not increasing his heart rate as passion might do - but rather slowing his pumping blood while wrapping him in the softness of a familiar love. "Then let's devise a diet plan," he hops from one foot to the other excitedly, "how do you feel about jogging and yoga routines?"

"I've tried before," Yun answers in embarrassment, "but I didn't have enough perseverance to continue past a month."

"Swimming and aerobic exercises?"

"Same story."

The boy paces the length of his bedroom, phone held loosely between his fingers and thumb, "Have you ever tried dancing?"

 

"...Dancing?"

 

"Yeah," a grin slowly curls the corners of his lips upwards, "dancing was what helped me lose weight back in high school."

Yun furrows her eyebrows in confusion, "Wait, so you've actually been on a diet before? You didn't just suddenly lose a lot of weight in middle school because you had a growth spurt?"

"Of course not!" Baekhyun laughs at his friend's naivety, "you didn't seriously think that puberty could turn a 100kg boy into kpop idol material, did you?"

"Whoops."

 

Baekhyun shakes his head a little, shoulders shaking from the amusement rippling through his body, "Nothing in life ever comes without a price. You have to pay for everything that you have and everything that you want - sooner or later down the track."

"Feeling philosophical today?" Yun teases jokingly, enjoying the sound of laughter from the phone receiver, "but thank you, Baek; I feel very happy simply knowing that you are willing to help me in times of need." She pauses for a moment, as if trying to swallow a lump in , "Rest assured that I will do the same for you - whenever you might need me."

"Good to know," Baekhyun smiles into the receiver, "then let me go whip up a list of potential dance teachers for you right now! I shall hand-pick them personally, so that only the best of the best will have a chance to teach my best friend."

Best friend... Yun smiles sadly, "Sounds good to me."

"...Let's call this..." Baekhyun thinks for a moment, before clicking his fingers in delight, "how about 'Operation Weight Loss - Dancing'."

"Wow you're a genius," the girl replies sarcastically, "I hope I won't let your efforts go to waste and end up disappointing you, Baek."

"You won't," Baekhyun reassures, What right do I have to be disappointed in the first place? I am someone who can only ever be sorry towards you for not being able to return your feelings.​

 


A/N: Jongin appearing very soon! Thanks for reading <3