Termination

Overweight, yet Loving You

"The number you have dialed no longer exists, please check--"

Yun ends the call with a disheartened sigh. Choi Jikyung, who had been her dietitian during the days she had undergone extreme dieting at SM entertainment, seemed to have disappeared into thin air. Yun tried her office phone number, cellphone number, and even tried looking for her 'JK Healthy Dieting' website online, but none of the contact numbers worked.

It was at that point, that Yun decided that she had entrusted her body to the wrong people. SM entertainment had never cared for her health from the beginning, and Jikyung had never taken into consideration whether her body would suffer long term complications as a result of the extreme diet regimes.

 

She picked up her phone again, this time dialing Lee Sooman's secretary's number.

 

"We are very regretful to say that we cannot assist you on that," the woman at the other end of the phone answers Yun monotonously. "You had been the one to sign the contract, and we are not responsible for your private health problems. We had made sure to run blood tests for you and asked for your permission regarding the dieting plans we had set for you. As an autonomous adult, you should have realised when your own body began to feel unwell. The company is not responsible for self-inflicted harm; we only protect you from external sources."

"But I didn't know anything about diets, and you assigned me a dietitian, telling me I could rely on her!" Yun held back her angry tears, "shouldn't you at least shoulder some of the responsibility, after telling me to just trust you?"

"That would be the personal responsibility of the dietitian, because she was the one monitoring your body during the period of time you described as being in the diet." The woman sounded bored, as if she had had this sort of conversation with someone else before Yun. "I can only direct you to contact details of Miss Choi Jikyung, if you wish to hold someone responsible for your current state."

"I've already tried contacting her," the girl runs a hand through her hair in frustration, "but no one picked up. The number seemed to be no longer in service."

"Ah, that is too bad," the secretary seemed somewhat smug, "well, I can not assist you any further if that is the case."

"That's not fair though!" Yun could no longer hold in her frustrations. "Your contract didn't include anything about health! It just said you'd provide assistance for me to maintain an adequate image fit for my employment. How is that responsible moral conduct?"

The other woman sighs, slightly agitated, "If you must pursue this matter, please contact our legal team directly. They will direct your legal representative through email as to whether the matter needs to be brought before the court."

C-court? Yun suddenly felt scared by the prospect of having to file a lawsuit, I didn't think that far...I just wanted an apology...

Registering the silence on the other side of the line, the secretary continues with more confidence. "The company will pay for all your hospital expenses up to now, despite your contract having already been terminated. Please know that we are doing this out of good will, so please do not pester us about this matter any longer if you do not wish to bring this matter to court."

Biting back a fresh round of tears, Yun mutters a hurried 'goodbye' out of sheer politeness, before hanging up the phone.

 

Hopelessness, helplessness, and a feeling of inferiority rushed through her, and she simply felt the need to blame someone for her misfortunes.

"Jongin?" Yun found herself calling the one person she missed the most and could be sure to trust at the moment, "why did you tell me to go on a diet?"

The young man scowls at the Beijing night sky outside his hotel room window, placing the phone on his left ear as his right cheek sinks into the pillow. "W-what? What's wrong?"

"None of this would have happened if you didn't tell me to diet!" Yun suddenly bursts out, "I could have remained happy and healthy, carrying around my 90 kilograms of weight without a care in the world!"

Sleepiness fogged Jongin's mind, and all he could croak out was a confused and offended, "What?"

No, no, that's not what I wanted to say! I missed you, and I don't know what to do with my feelings. Can you please not leave me? Yun's hands ball into fists, but wouldn't shut up. "It's all your fault! I was happy being fat! I didn't need your help and I didn't need you to come along and tell me that I needed to change!"

"But you weren't happy being fat," Jongin attempts to argue through his sleep-deprived state, "if I hadn't told you lose weight, you would have developed a bad health condition anyway due to being overweight."

"T-that's not true!" If you loved me, you'll stay with me no matter how mean I am to you, "I was happy before I met you! I was fine with liking Baekhyun forever, and I never felt like my weight was a problem!"

Before Jongin could retort anything back out of defensive reflex, he stopped himself. "Yun...let's calm down first," Jongin sighs as he scratches his messy bed hair. "Tell me what happened and why you're upset, instead of attacking me with illogical words."

No, I don't want to be reasonable. I don't want to be mature! I just want you to show me that you'll stay by my side whatever happens to me, and to tell me it's all going to be okay... Confused even herself, Yun promptly ends the call, leaving a frustrated and slightly angry Jongin to lose sleep throughout the rest of the night.

 


 

The next day, Yun reflected upon her actions.

She knew she had done wrong to Jongin. It was ridiculous for her to have called him through his busy schedule, not caring whether he was preparing to go on stage or whether her words would affect his performance. She felt incredibly guilty for having poured her own negative emotions onto him, not even bothering to explain to him what had caused her offensive behaviour.

But maybe karma found her in another way.

 

Yun's cracked and imperfect world completely shattered and crashed down on her that afternoon.

Just as she had been regretting the words she spewed onto Jongin the day before, her phone lit up with an incoming call from an unsaved number.

When she picked up, Lee Yun's father spoke to her for the first time in two years, and gruffily mumbled a short greeting.

Just as Yun wondered why her father, who normally couldn't stand the sight of her face and the sound of her voice, would phone her...the news came at her like a devastating earthquake. Immediately, her heart rate monitor reacted violently, and her eyes rolled back into her head.

She collapsed back onto the hospital bed she had been sitting on.

 

"Yun...your mother...she has left this world after fighting with courage."

 


A/N: More chapters coming! Promise you all I'll write as fast as I can while I've got a 2 day break before my exam <3 (I should be studying, but I felt really bad for leaving this on hiatus for so many months, so please forgive me!)