Birthday

Overweight, yet Loving You

Whisking some thickened cream briskly, Yun glances at the recipe placed on top of the kitchen counter, "Two teaspoons of vanilla...four large eggs..." the girl mumbles to herself as she prepares the cheesecake filling.

Today is the 6th of May, and the girl is continuing an annual tradition of preparing a birthday feast for her most beloved friend on Earth.

Despite knowing that Yun would be coming to his house for food preparations, Baekhyun is still at the company - practicing late with the other boys preparing to debut alongside him as 'EXO'.

The oven clicks off with a hot sigh, and Yun opens the door a fraction to cool it off, before pulling on a pair of thick gloves and opening the door to welcome a lukewarm wind that carries the smell of cheese and vanilla. starts to water, so she takes extra care not to drool on the beautiful cake as she prepares a waterbath for the delicate surface.

 

A short while later, Yun's cellphone lights up with 'B.Bacon' displayed on its touch screen.

"Yun?" Baekhyun's familiar voice travels through the receiver, "sorry, are you at my house cooking right now? Because I don't think I can make it home today! Really sorry!"

"Ah, that's al-"

But before she could finish, the line was ubruptly cut off.

A bit rude there! Yun tuts at the phone in her hand, but since it's your birthday, I'll let you off.

The girl turns back to glance around the dining room: candles waiting to be lit, roses sitting prettily in a glass vase, cheesecake placed at the center of the round table...and a feast of seventeen dishes spread out gloriously, steam wafting off the hot plates.

"What a waste," she whispers sadly, staring at the food and remembering the immense amount of effort that had gone into preparing it.

 

However, not allowing her to wallow in sadness for too long, the doorbell promptly alerts her of guests with a shrill ring, interrupting her sulking thoughts.

Who could it possibly be? Yun frowns, This is Baekhyun's house, so should I maybe just ignore it? But what if it's his parents coming back early from their business trip? Or his brother dropping by?...

But the ringing persists; and so with an exasperated sigh, she stands up to open the front door, a polite smile already forming on her lips as she prepares herself to play host to whoever it was on the other side.

 

"...SURPRISE!!!" a chorus of voices shout in untidy unison as the twelve boys of EXO stand smiling and waving at the dumbstruck girl at the door.

Yun stands immobile at the entrance, "Baek..." she clears , "didn't you just say..."

"You fell for it!" Baekhyun laughs as he attempts to hug Yun despite his arms not quite make it all the way around her shoulders, "I just wanted to surprise you with the guys, because you always make me such wonderful birthday dinners every year."

Tears spring to Yun's eyes, "Thankyou, Baekhyun...and...Happy Birthday."

»«

Allowing the boys to help themselves to the delicious dishes on display, Yun gives herself a moment to look on at the boys wolfing down food from the sidelines. The twelve boys had almost finished every last scrap of food previously laid out in seventeen pan-sized dishes. And now, all of them were occupying a seat somewhere  around Baekhyun's house - trying to digest all of the food they had just consumed. 

"Ah, I'm so full!" Sehun lets out a small burp, causing the polite and well-mannered Suho to wince.

"Maknae, there's a lady present," Luhan slaps Sehun's tummy playfully, causing him to burp again.

But Yun quickly wave her hands in denial, "No no! Calling me a lady...Luhan you're being far too kind!"

"Hyung," Chanyeol pats his own stomach lightly and smiles at Baekhyun, "you're one lucky bastard."

Baekhyun laughs, "I know right, Yun spoils me too much!"

"Please, stop it you two!" Yun glances at both Chanyeol and Baekhyun with embarrassment in her cheeks, "I need to be of some use to you all, since Baekhyun's been nothing but charitable to me, and when you all treat me so well."

"Is there a reason why we shouldn't treat you well?" Luhan takes the girl's oily hands into his own immaculate ones, and she immediately try to draw away, but he grabs a hold of it once more and looks her in the eye with seriousness. "Yun, I want you to repeat after me: I am beautiful just the way I am."

"I...I can't say that..."

"Why?" Tao turns to look at Yun with those intimidating yet innocent eyes of his, "you are beautiful!"

"I can't-"

 

"Come on, seriously guys?" Yun turns to look at the voice who had spoken with a surprised expression, and realise that this is the first time since Baekhyun joined EXO that she's taken notice of the boy currently speaking. "You think this girl is pretty? I think I'll need to talk to our manager tomorrow to schedule an eye check-up for you all!" 

"Kai..." Lay looks at him sternly, "I know you've had a pretty bad day, but you shouldn't be saying that sort of thing to Yun."

Maybe it was because of the fact that the boy called Kai never participates in the group activities Baekhyun brings Yun to, and that was why Yun did not recognize the rude speaker. But upon first meeting, Yun began to dislike him. He seems to be saying 'I'm too good for any of you' with his overly confident and lazy body language. His luscious lips are the first thing that attracts her attention; accompanied by a cocky smirk that sends an unpleasant shiver down her spine.

Yun glances towards Baekhyun, and is immediately scared by his eyes, which are set ablaze with a fierce and indignant light. "Apologize. Now." he growls menacingly at the boy named Kai perched on a couch back.

"Why?" that same confident smirk speaks up again, "it's as obvious as black and white that she's just fat and ug-"

 

But he didn't get to finish the word 'ugly' that had already formed itself on his tongue. Instead, the big hand belonging to the Chinese leader of EXO tugs at his shirt collar and lifts him into the air.

"Our 'beautiful' has a completely different meaning to your 'pretty' or 'y'," Kris hisses at the boy who's shirt is twisted into tight knot under his large and powerful hands.

"Kris..." Suho pries his fingers off the boy who is helplessly tangling by his toes, "you're the leader of EXO-M, don't misguide the children..."

"Well some example you're setting! Just telling them off for table manners but ignoring Yun when she's being insulted by this bastard?!"

"No, but we can sort this out with the manager..." Suho replies feebly.

"How on earth is the manager going t-"

"Stop, Kris!" Yun pleads with her eyes, "thank you for helping me...but in fact, he is right. I'm not worthy of the adjective 'beautiful'...I'm not even worthy of the friendship you are all offering me! I'm just an overweight, disgusting girl who deserves to be alone for the rest of my life." Immediately after her last comment, Yun internally scolds herself for the dramatic line. Despite trying to control the tears from escaping her eyes, the overweight girl does her best to physically run out of the room, leaving the boys to glare at each other in her wake. 


"You're a real jerk sometimes, you know that Jongin?" Kyungsoo glares at him quietly in the tense atmosphere.

"Sometimes?! I don't even know how you even put up with him in EXO-K, I know I would burst from frustration!" Tao rolls his eyes, "Yun is so gentle and forgiving! Today, she especially prepared all this for Baekhyun, but it all ended up being devoured by the eleven of us. And what do you do to thank her?! You insult her!"

"Hyung, seriously," Sehun speaks up, "it must've taken her at least half the day to make all this and decorate the room with all the flowers and candles!"

At the members' angry words, Kai softens slightly and mumbles, "Well I was going to thank her for the cooking..."

Kris frowns disapprovingly, "Jongin, I feel you need to apologize to her now, before thanking her."

"No need," Baekhyun glares icicles at Kai while Suho tries to pat his back in order to calm him, "she doesn't need to see your disgusting self ever again."

"Hey now," Suho warns him softly, "that's not nice, be good to each other--"

 

"Come with me," Kris interrupts Suho without guilt and drags a helpless Kai across the room, throwing him against the closed front door, "she's outside, so just go and apologize right now!"

Reluctant but cowering under Kris' glare, Kai turns the door handle and steps gingerly out to face the cool evening air. 

 


A/N: So yeah Baek's a shallow and Jongin's a rude little sorry not sorry I know you all love me