Empty

Overweight, yet Loving You

Announcing her arrival back at home with a depressed turn of the lock, Yun hangs her bag up onto the hooks at the doorway's entrance. Her feet shuffle lifelessly to the living room, and her backside sinks into the couch without any resistance to gravity.

Her dad wasn't home much anymore; ever since her mother fell ill, and coming 'home' meant facing his overweight eyesore of a daughter. He was busy flying around the world shaking hands with important people anyway, so what little time he had to spare, he would spend in his flashy office on the 17th floor of a big brand company.

Although Yun's stomach grumbled at its emptiness, she decided that food could wait for now - she needed to organise her thoughts first.

Jongin. Baekhyun. Friendship. Love. Obsession. 

Yun felt she could no longer tell whether her feelings for Baekhyun were more sincere, or whether the gratitude and warmth she felt towards Jongin was closer to the emotion others call 'love'. She is stuck between a long, habitual feeling of loyalty, and a new, exciting feeling of being loved.

 


 

"Can't you even dice carrots properly?!"

"Fine! You do everything then!"

"Why are you being so difficult?"

"Why are you so goddamn annoying?"

"Geez, come on!" Jongin pouts while glancing towards another boy leaning lifelessly against the kitchen door, "Tao's hungry...do you not care about him at all?"

A contemplating silence follows, and Baekhyun glances back at a desperate Tao now clutching...almost gnawing on Sehun's arm.

"We should hurry!" Jongin adds a sense of urgency into his voice, "Tao's nearly eating Sehun alive."

"You've got to be kidding me," Baekhyun sighs.

"Please...I'm so hungry..." a muffled sob travels throughout the kitchen, making the two guilty boys move faster, "feed me guys...I need you..."

 

At that moment, Jongin's phone lights up with a new text from Yun. Without another care in the world for either Baekhyun's attitude nor Tao's desperation, an excited Jongin unlocks his phone to read the message.

I'm really sorry, Jongin...I don't really know what to do. It's hard to just forget about my own feelings simply because I know that they're not legitimate. I hope you can understand. I've only looked at Baekhyun for such a long time.  

 

And just like that, Jongin decided he wasn't angry at Baekhyun anymore. All the hurt and frustration he had put Jongin through suddenly seemed like a far away nightmare. Baekhyun was just Baekhyun again; a colleague, and a boy who could sing really high notes.

It wasn't really his fault Yun liked him. It wasn't really his fault for not liking Yun back. The pain he had caused Jongin so far had all been due to his immaturity and sense of ownership. He wasn't wrong - Yun was his best friend and Jongin is a new intruder into the relationship. Just like a kid who had his favourite toy taken away from him, Baekhyun was throwing a tantrum and Jongin could understand that.

So Jongin decided to be the bigger person and to let Baekhyun think things through at his own pace. The priority now, was to get food on the table.

"Hey," he nudges a still-annoyed Baekhyun, "you're doing great with the carrots."

 


 

Yun hesitated, looking at the other text she had typed out for Jongin but had not been able to send.

Hopefully, I will learn to love you the way you love me some time in the future. I know Baekhyun does not love me. I also know your feelings are genuine. Just...give me some time to heal. I don't want to hurt you, and I promise I won't disappoint you anymore.

She wanted to send it. She really did. But in truth, Yun didn't feel ready to promise anything to anyone at the moment.

 

Yun liked Jongin. She was sure that somewhere within her heart there is a sizable space for Jongin which she ignored due to her obsession with Baekhyun.

But it wasn't fair for Jongin. It wasn't fair for him that she had to divide her heart between him and Baekhyun, and especially not for a person like her, who didn't deserve the attention of someone like Jongin in the first place.

 

After sluggishly taking a shower, Yun dressed simply and then stepped onto the weighing scale. Truthfully, she didn't really care about the numbers anymore - she wasn't going to be a celebrity anyway. She didn't really care about pretty clothes, or singing on stage, or graduating university, or even impressing Baekhyun anymore. She didn't care. Her life was a waste of time and she doesn't know what to do, both with the future, and with her relationship with other people.

Life seemed empty - she felt empty.

Yun deleted her previous message to Jongin, and instead decided to type out a more accurate description of her feelings.

Thank you for your confession. Thank you for concerning yourself with someone like me. I am sorry.

 

The only thing she wanted to make sure before letting herself do as she wished, was that Jongin does not continue to love someone who is a waste of space like herself. After hitting 'send', Yun decided she could let herself go and cry to her heart's content. 

Thank you for everything...

 

But oddly, the tears wouldn't come.

 

As she dressed, Yun was suddenly overcome with a desire to vomit. 

 

73.0kg.

After seeing those numbers, Yun out.

 


 

"Yun! Yun, are you in there?!" hurried knuckles bang against the front door, "please, open up!"

"Move, I know where she keeps her spare keys," Baekhyun knudged aside an upset Jongin to reach down to the potted plant decorating Yun's household's doorstep.

"Yun!" Jongin continued calling the girl's name as soon as the other boy successfully unlocked the door, "Yun, are you alright?"

 

Hearing the bathroom fan vibrating down the corridor, Baekhyun hesitates for a moment. 

He's experienced something eerily similar to this before; a few years ago.

Truth be told, when Jongin burst into his dorm room whimpering that Yun had sent him a weird text and wouldn't pick up the phone no matter how much he called her...Baekhyun had his suspicions.

The summer Yun's father had suffered a near-bankruptsy and his mother had been hospitalised, Yun fell into severe depression and developed an eating disorder. Baekhyun can still remember clearly the blank darkness in Yun's eyes and the way she would eat anything without even looking at the item in her hands. She never cried out loud - she only tried to fill the hole inside herself while holding back the tears. During that time, she was almost unrecognisable as the girl Baekhyun knew since their playground days, and almost unrecognisable as even a human being.

Right now, Baekhyun had a feeling that Jongin was about to meet that side of Yun for the first time.

 

Baekhyun turned to properly look at Jongin in the eye. "Jongin," the shorter boy put his hands on the dancer's shoulders, searching his eyes for any reassurance that he could trust Jongin with the possible version of Yun that was on the other side of the door. "Yun is in that bathroom."

"Then what are we waiting for?" Jongin moves automatically towards the room Baekhyun indicated, but was pulled back by Baekhyun.

"Kim Jongin," Baekhyun takes a deep breath seriously, "Yun...Yun has suffered a lot due to her weight through her childhood and adolescent years. I know you like her, and I know you're a great guy who will do his best to protect and understand the people he cares about."

Jongin gives the older boy an odd look, Yun could have slipped in the shower or hurt herself accidentally! What is this guy yapping on about while there's an emergency to be dealt with?

"I want you to promise me that no matter what you see when we open that door, you will not run away, or call the police, or tell anyone about this other than the doctor we will both be bringing her to."

The tanned boy frowns in confusion, but nods anyway. "I promise."

 

Together the boys rush at the locked bathroom and slam their weight against the door. After two attempts, the lock comes undone and the figure of a familiar a girl greets them from the cold tiled floors, eyes closed and cheek bleeding from her fall.

 


A/N: Welcome back to the story! Things taking a pretty different turn now keke...