Chapter 20: Late

[HIATUS] A Complicated Kind of Love.

The soft sharp clinks emerging from the result of her constant fidgeting with her glass of wine was the only thing that could be heard aside from the loud music filling the air.

 

“Back in junior high, did you end things with me because of Sooyoung?!” Her voice was soft with a sense of sadness. Sunny couldn’t stare into Changmin’s eyes. The thought of it being true was too much for her to handle.

“Sunny...we were never meant to be. You need to accept that fact and move on. We just weren’t right. You need to stop contacting me…”

 

25 missed calls, 14 unanswered text messages filled his cell phone completely from the very own girl that sat in front of him; not allowing to receive anymore incoming calls or texts. It was easy for him to ignore, but once she reached out to Sooyoung and began provoking, Changmin knew right away that an end had to be drawn.

 

“Do you know that all this is hurting Sooyoung? Isn’t she your friend?”

 

Sooyoung…it was always Sooyoung. How can someone like her come into town and have such a strong impact on her life? The day she left for Australia was one of the happiest moments in her life. Deep down inside she truly loved the girl like she was her blood sister, but Sooyoung would never understand the pain that she also caused. She never knew the quiet harsh remarks that were said behind closed doors…

 

Sunny is just Sooyoung’s follower…

Why is that girl always with Sooyoung? Doesn’t she have her own life?

Isn’t that girl embarrassed to be walking beside Sooyoung? She’s so tiny!

 

They were little back then and it was years ago, but the scars of hatred never left Sunny’s once warm heart of hers. It was too late to forgive and forget.


----------------------------------------------

 

Sunny would always remember the day she first fell in love when she was just a young teenager in junior high. The teasing from the girls never subsided, but only began to erupt into their distasteful daily hobby. Sunny spent her lunchtime alone at the very back corner of the cafeteria fiddling with her kimchi soup. For numerous months that was how it was…eating alone. It was during these moments that Sunny realized how much Sooyoung meant to her. Although there would always be a part of her that hated her friend, there was no doubt about it that Sunny enjoyed her presence.

 

It occurred on a random day when rain sprinkled down the windows of the cafeteria; matching the tears that streamed down Sunny’s cheeks. He slammed his double trays of packed food onto the table that had always been occupied by Sunny alone. He had limbs that were probably half the size of her entire height and ruffled hair that looked like it had never been once combed through. He was a new kid…unaware that he was sitting in the wrong table, eating with the wrong person. When asked why he sat where he did, his simple answer was: “I needed a place that had enough room for my food.”

 

Sunny would always remember how he shoved food into his mouth constantly, how he would offer to eat her leftovers for her, how he just didn’t give a damn about the rumours that were flying around about her. They began dating soon after --a moment in Sunny’s life that she treasured dearly in her heart. It was different for Changmin…it felt odd, unfamiliar, and lifeless. Their time together ended shortly after it began; a bomb that exploded even before it was lit on fire.

 

“…I’m in love with someone else who lives overseas…”

He lied. Ending it as a jerk was the only way he could think of to allow Sunny to move on without having to cling on. The fact was that Sunny would always just be the friend, the girl that he would love as a sister/friend…but never someone he’d fall in love for.

 

Heartbroken and filled with anger, Sunny only thought of one name--- Sooyoung. It was impossible that Changmin would even know Sooyoung (she couldn't be the one that he loved), but one thing was clear: Sunny would take away the one person that Sooyoung adored. She wanted the girl to feel the same pain that was throbbing through her delicate heart at that very moment. After years of searching for this Lee Sungmin that Sooyoung often confessed to silently love, Sunny used all the tricks up her sleeve to make him hers.

It was the perfect timing. Sooyoung would be returning to Seoul and Sunny would get the privilege to see the epic reaction of her heart being ruthlessly ripped out and stepped on. That sense of sweet long awaited victory over Sooyoung lasted for only a tiny bit.

 

Sunny was on cloud nine when she received a call from Shim Changmin, her first love. Although they were completely silent with each other, she felt like she was rolling in a pile of gold as she went out on a drive with him beside her one night. But it all came crashing down when he ruthlessly threw her away like a discarded piece of paper and replaced her seat with that very same girl that Sunny secretly envied with every single part of her body. It was Choi Sooyoung yet again. Her mind scrambled with questions regarding the two.

Was she the one that he referred to being in love with back then ll those years ago? Did they really know each other back then?

No matter what, she refused to believe it.

 

----------------------------------------------

 

Being concerned with her lengthy absence from their lunch date, Sungmin decided to check up on her by heading to the washroom where he planned on waiting for her to come out. He was surprised to find her hidden in a corner secretly hiding herself behind a large potted plant; her tiny body just barely visible from the large leaves that covered over her. Sungmin stared at his girlfriend’s back who was immersed in a phone call.

 

“Just tell Changmin that we’re all meeting up at 8 o’clock. It’s the usual club spot. He should know where that is.”

Who the hell is this Changmin that she’s meeting up with?

“Sunny…who’s Changmin?”

Her skin leaped off her body for a split second from Sungmin’s sudden voice.

“He’s someone that I want back.”

“…”

“We’re done Sungmin.”

 

She had no reasons to beat around the bush with him. He would sooner or later figure everything out so Sunny figured that knowing now would’ve been the best.

Her words struck his heart, ripping it apart into thin slices. He didn’t understand what he did wrong…what caused her to turn into someone like that.

 

She walked away from the scene without once looking back. Sunny didn’t realize the fact that her very own heart was also crying at that moment. She never took notice on how much she grew fond of the sweet guy who she actually cared for more than she’d ever know.

--------------------------------------------

 

He waited outside her house staring at his steering wheel with lifeless eyes. He followed the cab that held Sunny inside to a local night club called 'Club Eden'. The Sunny he knew barely found such a scene entertaining. Instead, he only knew of the Sunny that smiled brightly when they had their simple small dates strolling hand in hand along the pathways of the park. He quickly parked his small environmentally friendly car and ran inside the extremely loud building. He searched desperately for the petite girl who fit perfectly in his arms for the past few months that they called eachother theirs. Sungmin wanted her back.

From the far distance in the corner of his eyes Sungmin watched a tall figure pushing through the crowd in a hurry. The slender girl was utterly familiar to him. Sooyoung. For the longest time back then it was that very same girl who would cheer him up. He would always remember his good friend no matter how long it had been. He missed her cheerfuly voice that would often greet him. Sungmin watched the girl descend into the woman's washroom which is off in the other side of the club.

It takes him more longer than expected to break away from the storm of overly excited people on the dancefloor. With small beads of sweat falling down his forehead, he leans his tired body against the wall waiting for Sooyoung to come out. Gifted with the beauty of ears as sharp as a dog's, Sungmin hears the loud thumps arising from behind the door. He hears a small whimper and desperate cry for help that lasted for a quick second before it disappears again; being replaced with another loud thud.

--------------------------------------------------

"Did you hear that?!?" Changmin darts straight up from the chair he was seated on with eyes scanning the room crazily.

"What??" Sunny cries out desperately in a state of confusion.

He doesn't know why, but Changmin feels his heart drop. Sooyoung fills his every thought. Despite the defafening music playing, he swore that Sooyoung's voice called out for him. There was this little something that just found it's way connecting them together like an invisible line of thread weaving them together.

The feeling won't subside, and Changmin just can't ignore this black dark cloud that is hovering over him at the moment. He sets off in a panic roaming the club searching for Sooyoung which is making his every nerve tell him that she's there and is longing for him by her side.

For some reason a small tear glistens down his sharpened profile. He feels like he's late for something, but doesn't know exactly what for...

-----------------------------------------------

Sungmin kicks the door open with worry flowing down his body and catches the ert in the act--Sooyoung laying helpessly pinned against the with the large man on top. The middle aged man's arms just barely making its way to his friend's undergarments. Outraged, Sungmin pulls the drunkard off and lands a perfect blow to the disrespectful man's face causing the guy to lose consiousness. Sungmin doesn't know how it happened (the flowing strength leaking off of him) but he's relieved that he came just in time.

Gently picking the girl up straight, Sungmin holds Sooyoung in a warm embrace as the tears continue to fall down her face.