Chapter 12: Time Like This

[HIATUS] A Complicated Kind of Love.

Minho woke up from the sudden cold floor rushing through his back as the birds above chirped away on the sunny Saturday morning. He looked at his clothes --- tattered up and shrivelled. The headache resulting from last night's events suddenly kicked in, yet the pain from it didn't overcome the emotional struggles he was now living. He preferred any physical pain, anything else over the remembrance of the fact that he was now "practically alone" on this hell hole of a place people called earth.

 

He pushed himself off the floor as he searched once again for a nearby bar...one that would relieve his worries by providing him with a bountiful amount of alcohol. That was all he really wanted to do...drown his sorrows away.

 

As he walked down the sidewalks Minho watched those around him.

 

A set of parents each holding onto their son's arms as they strolled happily down the roads.

A teenager taking a walk with her grandmother as the young one held onto a bag of groceries.

A group of siblings running as they on the delicious cold ice cream treat that they held in their hands.

 

Those images followed him as reality became harsher for him to bear. His eyes started to fill with water as the sounds of their laughter echoed in his thoughts. One small tear fell down his cheeks as he his teeth -- he refused to break down. Finally, he saw a sign placed nicely along a window showcasing words that made him the happiest at that moment:

 

ALL DAY Weekend Special: 5% off on all alcohol beverages.

 

Without hesitating, Minho pushed open the doors and walked into a place that he considered to be paradise.

 

____________________________

 

For probably the first time in his life, Changmin naturally woke up from his deep sleep. On normal days, he'd complain and try to force himself back into his dreams, but these days it was completely different.

The reality was that every waking moment was much sweeter since now; he was able to hear her voice, see her face, and hold her hand (although so far most of the times through force...).

As he lay there staring at the blank white ceiling of his bedroom, he smiled foolishly at himself, thinking of what he should do today. All that he knew was that he was going to spend it with Choi Sooyoung, whether she wanted to or not.

 

He slid his hand underneath his pillow and pulled out his cell phone -- one that identically matched the one he gave to the person who held the prime reason for him to wake up these days.

 

Changmin flipped it open and speed dialled #1.

Upon the phone screen, it read MY GIRL.

He was calling Choi Sooyoung. After all, he considered her the number one person in his life now.

 

After three full rings, Changmin brought the phone down and carefully examined the screen somewhat confused; making sure that he was calling the right person. No answer.

After four full rings, his eyes began to twitch with annoyance. No answer.

After five full rings, he bit his bottom lip slightly hard as his grip on the phone became stronger. Still, no answer.

 

Then there it was....something that he believed he wouldn't be hearing.

That damn voice recording saying that the person he was calling is unavailable at the moment. He stared at the phone in complete shock. She was the first girl to not pick up his calls...

Changmin aggressively sat up in his bed, throwing his bed covers off him as he was now fuming with a mixture of annoyance and anger.

 

Quickly, he began to punch the buttons on the phone as he sent her a text message that read:

 

YAH CHOI SOOYOUNG! DO YOU WANT TO DIE? PICK UP THE DAMN PHONE.

 

Assuming that the girl had read his text, he once again dialled her, only to be left with the flat buzzing sound once again on the other line.

For a split second, he felt like punching a wall, but then he abruptly thought of something.

Aaaahhh I seeee~ Maybe my alluring deep y voice is too much for her to handle in the morning. After all I AM SHIM CHANGMIN...

With that, he smirked as if nothing happened and sent her one more text before cleaning himself up for the day.

 

Too much to handle huh? Don't worry, I totally understand. You'll see me soon then.

Place: Sunkyun Mall. Time: 4:00PM. DON’T BE LATE. Try not to miss me too much.

wink

 

_____________________________

 

Sooyoung slammed open the bedroom door and sluggishly walked over to the kitchen table where her siblings sat. Without saying one peep, she began to shove spoonfuls of rice accompanied by Yuri's completely burnt eggs into .

 

"Noona you truly are amazing!" Key gave his eldest sister thumbs up. "I couldn't even finish one full swallow of Yuri noona's eggs since I swear it tastes like charcoal..."

"YAH! Kim Kibum it's all your fault anyways...calling me because of something so simple that Sooyoung unnie is in love!" Yuri lightly kicked her brother underneath the table, and then they both continued to watch the eldest of them eat.

 

Sooyoung raised her glance to her sister in slight annoyance, but brushed it off.

 

She didn't notice that the others were now consuming a large bowl of cereal, nor did she realize the bad taste of the eggs...for if it wassn't rotten or poisonous, everything seemed edible in her mind. That trait was truly daebak in her siblings’ point of view.

 

"Soooo, unnie what are you gonna do after breakfast?"

"Like I told you, I'm going to meet up with that tall young freak of nature and set everything straight." Sooyoung was now scraping off every single small piece of rice off her bowl, making sure not to waste any of it.

“LOOKING LIKE THAT?!?!!” Yuri slammed her spoon onto the table and quickly stood up.

“Bwoh? What’s wrong with what I’m wearing?” Sooyoung replied as she looked at what she had on.

She wore what she usually did; a white loose t-shirt accompanied with dark washed sweat pants --- simple and comfortable.

“Tsk tsk. Noona, are you making sure that I won’t ever see brother in law?” Key replied innocently as he continued eating spoonfuls of his cereal. When it came down to fashion, Key no doubt had a unique sense in picking things out.

“This is what I always wear…”

“Which is why I’m quite stunned that noona has a boyfriend.” Key sighed. “Unless you put on something better and throw some colour on then maybe you’ll have brother in law wrapped around your finger. He’d have no thoughts of EVER leaving you.”

 

“I ALREADY HAVE YOUR BROTHER IN LAW WRAPPED AROUND MY FINGER!”

 

Silence overtook the room in a complete flash.

 

Yuri and Key glanced quickly at each other with a slight smirk on their faces as they high fived each other across the table. “Good job little brother!” Yuri said as she ruffled his highlighted hair.

“….omo!” Sooyoung covered after realizing what she just said. “Aish seriously, you people are psychotic! You got that? I’m living in a house full of psychos!”

 

Freakin people making me crazy by the minute…aigoo and I’m related to them!

Sooyoung abruptly got up and headed out the door.

 

“Yah unniiiee~ wait for me! We’re going to give you a make over first before you meet him!” Yuri screamed out loud as she ran after her tall sister.

 

____________________________

 

By 2:00PM Changmin’s black car roared through the neighbourhood before stopping in front of the Choi residence.

He noticed a slightly long light brown haired boy sitting at the front porch of the house holding onto a bucket of chicken firmly placed on his lap. The kid was smiling from ear to ear as he spent the whole time staring down at the deep fried pieces of heaven.

 

“U-u-uhm, I’m looking for Choi Sooyoung…” Changmin asked awkwardly.

“Ok….” The kid replied back without lifting his head once from the bucket.

“Well….do you know where she is?”

The boy simply shook his head.

“Then maybe, how about the sister, Yuri? Is she here?”

 

“Both of them went out.” A voice called out as he pushed open the screen door of the house.

“So, I’m guessing you’re brother in law?” He raised his eyebrows at the guy that stood before him as he stretched his hand out.

Right away, Changmin distinguished that he was Key…the youngest of the Choi pack.

“I guess that is me….also known to most as Shim Changmin.” Changmin shook the boy’s hand in return.

 

“S-H-I-M C-H-A-N-G-M-I-N. Okay, but let me tell you right now I’m not too great with memorizing names so I’m probably just going to call you brother in law alright hyung?”

All Changmin could do was nod shyly as he smiled happily at the thought of being accepted.

Brother in law…he liked the sound of it. To his ears, it sounded absolutely just right.

 

“Onew, you didn’t have to wait for me…” Key said to the kid sitting down as he handed a soda over to him.

“AISHHH ~should have told me that earlier! I was dying over here!” Onew replied back as he attacked that bucket of chicken as if it were the last pieces of food left on earth.

 

Changmin smiled at the scene of the two younger kids.

“Key, I think I’ll just head out then.”

“Yup, got it! See ya brother in law!” He waved widely as he watched the tall model looking guy get into his car and drive off into the horizon.

 

____________________________

 

It was exactly 4:00 PM.

Sooyoung stood at the front entrance of the mall waiting for what she called the “inconvenience of her life” to appear. In her mind she thought of what to say, running practice sentences to say to him.

Oddly enough, every time she would be rudely interrupted with Yuri randomly popping up into her thoughts saying nonsense from their early sister outing.

 

Her little sibling’s annoying voice nagging at her,

 

“Unnie, have you ever noticed Changmin’s sharp distinct jaw line? All the girls swoon over it.”

“Unnie, did you know that you’re the first person that he refers to as his girl friend? Sure, he dated a few random chicks before, but he never called them that. Don’t you feel special?”

“Unnie, as a long time friend of Changmin he might surprise you with a kiss…he has that habit of doing so…so if he does attempt it, just give in to it alright?”

                                                         

 

 

Meanwhile, Changmin was approaching her from behind. Slowly, he took footsteps closer to the mind blowing figure that stood before him.

 

Sooyoung had her hair down and brushed neatly to the side, revealing her priceless neck.

She wore a skirt that fell just above her knees, revealing her perfect long slender legs that would make anyone both males and females stop and stare.

She wore a soft pink blouse that complimented her ravishing white skin tone.

 

In Changmin’s eyes, her beauty could never be overshadowed. Instead, it always illuminated wherever she was.

Crowded with hundreds of girls surrounded, and he was confident that he’d spot her in a split of s second.

If she chose to wear ugly rags or a paper bag, he’d still notice how gorgeous the girl is.

He smiled bigger as he began to get closer to her, remembering that she was all his.

 

 

“Aishhh Yuri get the hell out of my head!!!” Sooyoung was stomping her feet constantly at the ground floor in frustration.

She raised her hand to roughly mess her hair in annoyance when suddenly a hand held her back.

 

“Don’t do that” the voice muttered lowly. It was Shim Changmin.

 

Quickly, Sooyoung forced his hand away from her and peeked at the time from the screen of the cell phone he had given her. 4:10 PM.

“You’re ten minutes late!” She shouted at him. “You say don’t be late and yet here you are LATE.” She glared at the kid.

 

Changmin bent down slightly, “Did you miss me that much?”

She pulled away in an instant as she puffed her cheeks at his cockiness. He smiled at the girl. Everything she did even if she was fuming mad was adorably cute in his eyes.

 

“Ah, you know I actually came here on time. But seeing you dressed like that, I just had to take it all in slowly, so blame yourself.” He sighed as he looked around. He was telling the truth. "Didn't I tell you to pick up the phone when I call? Answer all me texts? You did none of that Choi Sooyoung."

 

“Yah! What kind of nonsense are you spurting out now? First, who said I agreed to follow that huh? Ugh and second, do you think I wanted to dress like this? You little ert, don’t get your hopes up buddy. Yuri was bugging me about changing even though I’m just here to set things straight. I’m here to tell you that-”

 

He latched his arm around her neck without notice, stopping her chain of thoughts from forming in her mind. She didn’t quite remember what she was saying anymore.

 

“You look good.” He simply whispered into her ear. Being so close to her face, he smelt that familiar honey almond lotion of hers mixed with her fresh shampoo that he craved.

 

Realizing that he was just inches away from her face, Sooyoung called what Yuri said earlier --- Changmin he might surprise you with a kiss…he has that habit of doing so…

She didn’t know what to do, but ended up closing her eyes.

 

Changmin smirked as he saw her do so. Even with barely any make up on, Sooyoung’s natural beauty was like no other. It was as if she was airbrushed perfectly to fit his taste.

“Choi Sooyoung.” He softly called out. “Why are your eyes closed? Are you expecting something?”

 

As fast as a bullet being shot, Sooyoung opened her eyes and turned her head the opposite way as she knew very well that she was blushing uncontrollably in embarrassment.

She cursed herself in her mind for being so stupid. She didn’t even know why she closed her eyes.

The last thing I want is a kiss from you…

 

“So tell me, when is it going to happen?” He shook the girl around again so he could clearly look at her pretty face once more.

“What now?” Sooyoung rolled her eyes at him in annoyance.

 

She felt his presence just creeping onto every inch of her skin…never going away. But was it really because it annoyed her? Or was there another reason?

 

“Our marriage of course”

 

“…”

 

“You see, I met your dear brother today and that interesting chicken loving friend of his. Seems to me that Key is quite fond of me already…calling me brother in law right at our first meeting” A slight smile formed across his lips as he joked.

 

She was completely dumbfounded. Her whole family was ganging up on her; taking his side…

 

 

Just then from across the street the breaking of glass emerged as it was accompanied with loud shouts.

The two turned their heads and saw a boy being dragged out as six large men began taking turns ruthlessly hitting the poor kid.

 

Sooyoung’s eyes widened at the sight.

She gasped, “CHOI MINHO?!”

 

 

 

How oddly coincidental for the three to be meeting at a time like this…

 

______________________________

A/N: Updated on my phone...sorry if there's grammar problems or spelling mstakes. I didn't re-read this before updating since I'm somewhat sleepy ATM...2AM over here aha.

I'm not even sure if this chapter is clear since I kinda continued writing without really reading it over LOL.