Chapter 8 - I know what pain is!

Tell me, Is This Love? (내게 말해줘 이게 사랑이라면)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Baekhyun was avoiding Chanyeol the next day because of what happened the last night. He also tried to avoid Chen and Xiumin but unfortunately he could not for when he opened his office door, Chen and Xiumin were inside flirting, as they waited for him.

“Hey! How’s it going between you and the nerd?” Xiumin teased.

“There is nothing… between us, okay?” Baekhyun answered in gritted teeth.

Chen and Xiumin shrugged their shoulders, “Yeah… just mosquito, right Baekhyun~nie?” Chen asked sarcastically.

Baekhyun wanted to yell and all, so he just jumped up and down to control himself, “Alright, we were pretending!” He admitted at last. But for him, it felt more than that, it felt real.

“Pretending?” Chen and Xiumin answered in chorus.

“Yeah! We thought that it might help me with my article that’s why! Satisfied now?” Baekhyun explained in annoyance. Again the two just shrugged their shoulders.

“Alright, now I guess you’re satisfied so step off my office, now!” Baekhyun wanted to yell but he did not. Well he almost yelled. Chen and Xiumin stood up and walked out the office but when they opened the door, Chanyeol greeted them on the other side. The two smirked and walked out. Chanyeol did not look like Chanyeol anymore for well, though he still wore the same old and oversized sweatshirts, it now looked cool on him because he wasn’t wearing his cap and huge glasses.

“So what’s with those two?” Chanyeol asked as he stepped inside the room.

Baekhyun was surprised when he heard the familiar voice, he almost jumped in surprised. He faced the owner of the voice and his jaw dropped.

“What? What happened to you? It’s like you’ve just seen a ghost!” Chanyeol asked in curiosity.

Baekhyun on the other side, instead of answering Chanyeol’s question, he answered him with a question as well… “Are you… really Park Chanyeol?” He asked in awe.

“What? Of course I am? Hey is that the result of slapping me hard in the face?” Chanyeol joked and laughed but Baekhyun did not. He bowed his head, he did not want to look at Chanyeol, especially now that Chanyeol looked stunning in his eyes, he looked like a character that came out from a shonen manga.

“A… about that…” Baekhyun began but why he couldn’t seem to say it.

“What?” Chanyeol asked.

“Let’s end that pretend thing… It did not help a bit…” Baekhyun kept on bowing for he could not say it in Chanyeol’s eyes because the truth? He was loving it.

Chanyeol sighed in disappointment, well, he changed his look so that he could look like a person worthy for someone like Baekhyun. He did not know why but he never felt the same with Baekhyun, he felt being transformed when he was with him even though sometimes they act like a cat and a dog.

“Why?” Chanyeol asked as he tried to be brave.

“We are just wasting our time, It’s not helping…” Baekhyun replied, still avoiding Chanyeol’s stare.

“At least say it in my face…” Chanyeol insisted. He knew it would hurt like he was being dumped but if he was sure about it, he should say it eye to eye.

Baekhyun lifted his face but the more he looked at Chanyeol the more he couldn’t say it. He closed his eyes and breathed deeply… “I am putting an end to all this nonsense…” he said in a whisper.

Chanyeol sighed. It was the most painful phrase he had ever heard even though he knew that he should not feel that way. “Alright…” he said as he held back his tears. “Good bye…” he turned his face and started to walk towards the door. But he stopped when Baekhyun called him back.

“Chanyeol…” Baekhyun murmured. Chanyeol stopped and turned his face back to Baekhyun. He did not say anything, he just let Baekhyun talked, “Your new style suit you better…”

Chanyeol nodded but he did not smile, “Thanks…” he then faced back and started to move but when he was about to open the door, Baekhyun called him again.

“Chanyeol…” Baekhyun called silently and Chanyeol faced him again, he did not talk this time as well, he just let Baekhyun do the talking, “Alright… let’s be careful next time…”

Chanyeol’s eyes widened. He wasn’t sure of what he just heard. “What do you mean?”

“Next time that we are pretending, let’s be careful…” Baekhyun mumbled shyly.

“But I thought…” Chanyeol began to ask but Baekhyun did not let him.

“I said Park Chanyeol, the next time we ‘pretend-date’ we should be careful. No more buts.” Baekhyun repeated with authority this time.

Chanyeol nodded and turned away before Baekhyun could see how wide his grin was.

He opened the door and closed it behind his back. “Yes!” He wanted to yell but he just whispered it to himself.

When Chanyeol was out of his room, Baekhyun sighed deeply, “Park Chanyeol… what have you done to me, you pabo! Why can’t I let you go?”

 

----------

 

Baekhyun spent his break time at the nearest coffee shop. It was his favourite place when he was out of his office. He ordered Espresso. When he was searching an empty table to sit, his eyes noticed Tao at one corner.

“Huang Zitao! Hey!” Baekhyun called him.

“Hey…” Tao greeted shyly.

“Can I?” Baekhyun asked pertaining to an empty chair across Tao.

“Oh sure, sure…” Tao agreed so Baekhyun sat across him.

“So how are you? I haven’t heard anything from you these past few days.” Baekhyun asked as he began to sip his coffee.

“Uhmm… nothing has changed I guess. What about you? How is Chanyeol? Is he doing his job on helping you with your article?” Tao asked back.

“Hmm… I guess. Well, he is doing his best actually; I am just the stubborn one.” Baekhyun replied.

Chanyeol sipped on his coffee, “I see… it’s just you.”

“I know…” Baekhyun sighed. He stared at Tao for a few minutes for he wanted to ask something. Tao was pretty intimidated by his gaze.

“What? Do I have a dirt on my face?” Tao asked consciously.

“Uhmm… none…” Baekhyun replied still looking at Tao’s face.

“Then what’s with your look?” Tao asked again.

“Uhmm… Tao… do you know what love is?” Baekhyun began his experiment slash interview. Well, at first he thought it’s better to interview someone in love but maybe someone waiting for love would be a good shot as well.

“Uhmm…You see Baekhyun, I guess I am not the good person to answer that, you see, I’ve never felt being in love before as long as I remember…” Tao replied in disappointment for he could not help his friend.

Baekhyun sighed, maybe Tao was right. He wasn’t the perfect person to be questioned about it. But after a while, the gorgeous model that Baekhyun saw with Kai and the one that Tao helped in the vending machine entered the coffee shop. Baekhyun noticed the changes in Tao when he saw him entered. Tao’s face flushed red and he seemed to be anxious for some unknown reasons.

“Baekhyun…” Tao began but his stares where fixed in the gorgeous model…

“Yes?” Baekhyun replied but he saw that Tao was not looking at him, he saw him looking at the model and from that he sensed that something was indeed going on between the two.

“I think love…” Tao began and Baekhyun moved closer to Tao when he heard him talking about love, he was eager to hear more, “is when you lost your mind from the moment you saw him. It is when everything seems to go in slow motion except the one you love…”

After saying that, the model noticed Tao and he walked closer to him. “Hey, Tao, isn’t it?” He asked.

Tao only nodded with his jaw dropped.

Kris laughed at Tao’s reaction, “I’m Kris, remember?”

Tao still nodded as a reply. Kris’ eyes shifted to Baekhyun, “And you must be Byun Baekhyun?” he asked.

“Yes.” Baekhyun answered simply but cooly.

“Nice to meet you finally…” Kris offered his hand to Baekhyun. He accepted it but he did not tighten his grip. “I’ve heard a lot of things about you.” He added.

“That’s cool…” Baekhyun answered without thinking of a reply.

“So…” Kris sighed, “I guess, I’ll see you around then.” He then started to step back but before he turned his face back, he winked at Tao in a teasing way then off he went.

Baekhyun made a face when Kris finally exited the coffee shop but Tao seemed still in his day dream. “Baekhyun…” He began and Baekhyun eyed him curiously, “Tell me, was that love?” But Baekhyun only shrugged his shoulders as a reply.

 

----------

 

Baekhyun, in his office, was starting to work on his article for he thought what Tao just told him could be helpful.

“It is love when you lost your mind from the moment you saw him. It is love when everything seems to go in slow motion except the one you love…” Baekhyun repeatedly said. He wanted to absorb the words. People already gave their ideas but he was still on the introduction and time was running fast. His 2 weeks were almost over.

His office door opened and he almost jumped in surprise. It was only Chanyeol.

“So where do you think is the best place to go tonight?” Chanyeol asked as he entered the office.

“Don’t you know how to knock?” Baekhyun asked in annoyance.

“Alright, I’m sorry…” Chanyeol mumbled so he went out and closed the door. Afterwards he knocked.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter