Episode 07: Kris (Flight)

Exo Prelude

A little boy peeked outside his luxurious bedroom window. Behind the his house grand-looking fence he can several children of his age playing happily with a basketball, although it seems clearly none of them know the basketball rules.

A young woman passed the boy's bedroom's door

"Mother can I play outside?"
"No you can't. Get back to your homework"

The little boy looked outside again as his eyes begin to fill with tears.

 




"Kris! Kris!"

A young man snapped from his daydreaming. Kris shook his head as he tried to get rid the ten years old memory from his head.

Kris looked to his left and right; Caucasian cooperate people, donned in luxuries suits sat to his both side. Sat straight in front of him at the end of the other side of the long table is a sharply dressed Chinese man whom appeared in his middle 40s.

"Did you just dozed off Kris?"
"No sir. I was just...urm...in deep thought, regarding our upcoming projects"

The man doesn't seemed buying the excuse but he continue the meeting regardless. Kris sighed in relief. The meeting goes smoothly for few more hours. By the end of the meeting everyone exchanged handshakes.

Despite being an Asian, Kris towering most of the Caucasians in the meeting room. "It's not every day you get the chance to meet a prodigy. It's a pleasure to have deal with you" remarked one of the cooperates as he shook Kris's hand. "The pleasure s mine" Kris politely replied in perfect English.

Kris then walked out the room alongside the man who scolded him earlier.

As Kris passing the a glass corridor, he took a glanced to the outside and saw a group of youth playing basketball at the basketball courtyard below. He stood silently for a moment as he watches them playing.

"Kris! Kris!"

Kris snapped back to reality again. He then saw the man in front of him, with a fierce expression. Kris gave the man a slight bow and they proceed to the building entrance.

A luxurious looking Mercedes-Benz stopped in front of the entrance, then the driver, wearing a posh looking suit with a pair of white glove came out and opened the door for Kris and the man. They both proceed entering.

As the Mercedes begin to move, Kris stared blankly to outside.

"Kris!"

Kris turned. The man stared at him sternly. "I want you to focus more on our upcoming project. Do you know how important are they?". With a solemn expression Kris gently nodded, "I'll keep that in mind"

"You better be" snapped his father. "It seems you still could not let go your interest on basketball. I shouldn't had sent you to that summer camp". The father then turned away and stared outside while Kris silently looked down.
 




Kris took off his jacket and placed it nicely in the wardrobe. As Kris began to his shirt he saw the metal bracelet with a dragon design on his right wrist. Kris suddenly have a vision. In a flash a vision came across him; a little boy, in a form of silhouette stood before him. The silhouette boy slowly lifted his hand, presenting to Kris what he recognized as the metal bracelet he had been wearing. But before Kris could grab it, nor have a clear view of the boy’s face, Kris was struck back to reality by the sudden sound of his phone message ringing and the vision disappeared.

Kris took his phone and read out the message; apparently it was just a spam from the line provider company. Kris was rather annoyed. He then went downstairs to join his parents for dinner when he noticed a pamphlet on the living room side table. He took it and studied it.

National Academy Orchestra of Canada will be having performance at the Vancouver Concert Hall. But what caught his interest is the main performer. Chen, a Korean music student from Beijing Central Conservatory of Music. As stated there Chen is capable to even take on five octaves notes.

As he sat on the dining table with the pamphlet in his hand, his mother noticed it, “Are you interested with the performance?”. Kris placed the pamphlet on the table. “Yes. I’am thinking of attending it”

“That’s good to hear”, Kris mother smiled. “It’s a rather prestigious event and it’s really suitable for you” She then sipped her soup. Kris watched his mother in silent before begin to sip his soup.

 


 

Kris returned to his room a gave a deep sighed. As he preparing to take bath, he looks outside and he suddenly become upset. Old memories of his childhood suddenly returned and Kris tried to shook them off. Kris then realized he was still holding the pamphlet. Giving it another glanced, Kris recalled his mother comment earlier. He crumpled the pamphlet and throw it to the wall in frustration.

Kris started to grow tired with all these social status image. He wanted to do what he likes for once. He wanted to be free like the birds soaring freely in the sky. He recalled one time he stood on his school rooftop, spreading his hand and let the wind breezed through him. During this time he wish he could just fly away, away from all the troubles he had been through.

Some students saw him and mistaken his action as suicide attempt. Chaos ensured and although Kris did try to clear things up, he knew people still prefer popular rumors of wealthy son attempting suicide rather than the truth he just wanted to be free (in the right way).

To make matter worse, rather than gained sympathy from his parents, he gained wrath from them instead. They even moved him away to new school so nobody would talk regarding the incident ever again. Kris wished his parents try to understand him instead but after all these years, he has given the hope that they will.

 


 

Many people dressed in elegant evening gowns and tuxedo begin to crowd inside the Vancouver Concert Hall. Kris was one of them. As the main hall door opened everyone begin to slowly entering but as Kris nearing the entrance, he had a sudden change of mind and walked away and headed to the rooftop.

On the rooftop he had a clear view of Vancouver at night. Beautiful city lights filled up the night. As he watching the night view he suddenly can hear a man singing, in high notes. Kris was taken by surprised as he knows the hall supposedly to be sound proof. In the ensuing hectic his bracelet suddenly slipped.

NO!

 Kris frantically tried to reach for it but it slipped away and fallen into a corner of a window one floor below.

Kris let out a sigh of relief seeing the bracelet did not fall on the ground but soon he become horrified as he realized he wasn’t sure how to reach for it. He tried to find anything he could use as a pole to hook the bracelet. When Kris failed to find anything suitable to retrieve the bracelet, he decided to put himself in danger by climbing down. A strong wind rushed from below, nearly knocked him off. Kris struggled to reach for the bracelet without letting go the pipe he was holding. He eventually managed to grab the bracelet but before he could climb back he lost his grip and plunged into below.

Kris was completely horrified and was about to let out a scream when he begin to recalled the life he had been leading. Suddenly he no longer felt afraid and calmly close his eyes, as he let himself falling. Then Kris suddenly have a vision, again a little boy in a form of silhouette stood before him. The silhouette boy slowly lifted his hand, presenting to Kris the metal bracelet. This time Kris immediately grabbed the bracelet and he finally can see the boy’s face. It was Suho, smiling.

An old memory suddenly returned

 




Kris eventually remember the boy who gave him the bracelet. Back then when he was in a summer camp in China, there were few international students, with some of the were Koreans.

Because of his strict upbringing, Kris is socially awkward back then. To be honest he was actually surprised that his parents sent him to the summer camp. This is when one of the Korean boys approached him. Letting out his hand for a handshake, the boy introduced himself.

"My name Suho (guardian in Korean) Why you ask? Because I want to protect people!" The boy introduced himself cheerfully. Kris was taken aback by the boy friendliness, but this is when their short friendship begin.

True to his name and desire, Suho helped Kris to blend with other kids. He even made Kris to discover his passion in basketball. On one night after a basketball game, the two boys rested on the hillside nearby the camp.

 

“Tell me Kris, what do you wish to be?”

“Sorry?”

“You know, ambition, dream”

“I don’t think I have one”

“You know what’s my dream? Honestly I’m not so sure it myself but some said I could be an idol. SO maybe I would love to give a try”

“Mmmmnnn if you say so Suho, maybe a wanted to be a professional basketball player”

“That’s the spirit Kris!”

 

“But I’m not sure if my parents will let me to” murmured Kris. Suho overheard Kris’s murmuring but couldn’t hear them clearly. “Sorry?”

“Oh it was nothing!” Kris become flustered. “Honestly it was nothing”. Though Suho noticed Kris seemed to be troubled by something he decided not to ask as he realized Kris seemed to be hesitated. The two boys then returned to their camp.

However when the summer camp ended, so does their friendship. Unlike today, back then, there was not much social media like FB to maintain their contact. On the last night of the summer camp, Suho came into Kris's cabin. He gave Kris a metal bracelet with a Dragon design on it.

"I know dragons are important to the Chinese" said Suho in his usual cheerful voice. "And I definitely knows dragons are strong and powerful, so I hope you will grow up to be strong and powerful like dragon"

Kris looked at Suho, lively as ever,  gave Kris a big smile. A smile that Kris somehow had forgotten, something he shouldn’t, but now he had remembered it. He had remembered everything.

 


 

Kris opened his eye. Finally Kris found his motivation in life and resolved to live. Then his falling starting to decrease, and he eventually stopped in mid air. Kris turned his up and the next thing he know he is accelerating against the gravity. He landed on the rooftop, placing bracelet into his arm again and looked up, staring blankly to the pitch black sky.

So now am I truly free? Kris somehow didn’t felt surprised with the earlier incident; as if he had always know he had the ability. He had always be able to fly away, except, if he does back then, he wasn’t sure where he should be heading, nor what should he be doing. But now he had found one, he just need to wait the right time to make his move.

That face, that smile. How could I had forgotten them? I shouldn't have, after all, he was my friend. My true friend. My ONLY friend.

Kris looked up again. The sky was pitch black. Kris begin to concentrate and he slowly begin to levitate from the ground. Then in a high speed he ascending into the sky and soon disappeared into the night

 


 

Few days later, during morning breakfast, Kris was reading newspaper when his father approached him.

“Get your belongings pack. We’ll be having oversea trip”

Kris put down the newspaper. And this time Kris sounded more clearer and firmer “And what would this trip be?”. His father noticed Kris’s sudden attitude change. He wasn’t sure was it good or bad so he didn’t made any comment out of it but Kris can see clearly in his body language. Kris questioned his father again, “Where are we heading anyway?”

“To Korea” an instant replied came in. “To meet our business partner, Mr.Park. So get your belonging pack now. We will be flying in the early morning tomorrow”

To Korea?

Kris smiled.