Episode 01: Kai (Teleportation)

Exo Prelude

 

"Kai!"

Kai turned his head over shoulder, "Yes?"

"Here's a new delivery" the woman's voice can be heard at the back of the kitchen. She continued, " To, ummn...Mr. Jung Ki"

Kai give a deep sighed. He walked slowly towards the kitchen and grabbed the delivery box. The woman voice overheard from the kitchen again, "Don't forget to come back fast too. We might have more deliveries". Kai wasn't even bothered to looked back. With a low voice, Kai replied, "Yes mum"

Kai walked outside his restaurant-house and walked towards his run-down bicycle. Slowly he rode his bicycle and cycle to his destination. While cycling, Kai begin to fantasize himself  travelling around the world, free from all the troubles and works. Kai is tired. In the morning  he had to focus on his studies, he know he had to, that's the only way for him to escape his current hard life. Then after school where all the kids spend the evening playing, he had to do deliveries for his family business. Kai sighed deeply.

 


 

"Kai!"


Kai face turned sour. His mother continued, "A new order just came in. Get yourself prepare". Kai suddenly stand up and walked away.

"Kai!" His mother shouted. "Where are you going?!"

Kai turned to look at his mother. He gave his mother a sharp gaze. Kai suddenly lashed out, "I'm tired with all these!"

His mother was stunned. "What are you talking about?"

"I want to be like other kids!" Kai continued, "I want to go out play! I want to go cinema! I want to travel! I don't want to do all these deliveries!"

His mother become upset. She gave Kai a sad look. "Kai...I'm sorry....I know you been through a lot. But we could not afford to hire other worker. Not with our financial...I'm so sorry. But I promise once our financial is stable, I will not trouble you again"

Kai let out a huff. "Fine!". Kai grabbed the delivery box and rushed outside, not even bothered to look back to see his mother's upset face. "As if that will ever happened". Kai grabbed his bicycle and begin to cycle. Kai begin to begin to fantasize again. Kai seeing himself wearing nice cloth, wearing black glasses and enjoying the views like the ones he had been seeing in the magazines and net. He wondered how wonderful would it be. As Kai deeply into his fantasies, he didn't realized a truck coming fast from his right side.

Kai heard a loud sound of horn and when he turned to his right side he was horrified to see the truck coming fast towards him. Kai let out of a horrified scream and as the truck about to reach him, Kai suddenly disappeared within black smokes and the truck only hit the bicycle. The truck driver stopped his truck and came out, panicking. He however unable to find any trace of Kai.

Somewhere rather far from the accident spot, a black smokes suddenly appeared and Kai merged out of it. Gasping, Kai tried to gat hold on the situation. Kai looked at his surrounding and realized he is at riverside of Yeojwa Stream, one of the places he often fantasizes to visit. Kai looked at surrounding again and let out a sigh of relieve when he realized there’s no one’s around.

Kai stand up, brushing off the dirt on his knees. Kai recalled the accident and remembered that at the last moment he keep thinking of his dreams of travelling. Kai wondered. He focused. And think of Bulguksa Temple. "Think hard Kai" Kai muttered to himself. Kai disappeared, leaving a trail of black smokes behind.

Kai opened his eyes and found himself at Bulguksa Temple. "Wow!" Kai was amazed with his newfound ability. "I....I can do this kind of things all these while?" How come, how come I never realize this?". Kai looked at his trembling hands. Then his hand stop trembling, Kai gave a smirk. He had an idea.
 



Kai teleported himself to his room and mad sure nobody is coming. Slowly, and quietly he packed his belongings. Kai decided to us his newfound power to begin to travel around Korea. Although Kai knows he can always teleport himself home to grab anything he needs, he prefer not to risk himself from being discover so he packed as many as he could. After all, as if he will be walking around with the loads.

Kai let out another smile as he teleport himself away. For quite sometimes Kai felt as if he is in heaven. He been to the cities, the beaches, the hills and even some other popular spots. One evening somewhere at Daegu, Kai was relaxing at a park bench with a cold drink at his hand and smiling alone to himself. This is when he came out another plan.

Kai opened his eyes. Grinning from ear to ear, Kai looked up. Indeed it is. The Eiffel Tower. Kai had decided to begin to travel around the world. He often see the girls wearing jewelries or clothes with Eiffel Tower theme but today that's where he is. Kai continue to sip his cold drink and begin to think where to go.

"Ah I know!" exclaimed Kai and soon disappeared, leaving behind trail of black smokes as usual.
 



Kai slumped on the bench in a park in Genoa, Italy. "Wow This is quite tiring". Kai took out his small notebook and begin to write. As he browse his previous entries, Kai realized he had been away from home for almost a month by now. He check his saving. Still a lot. This is because whenever he wanted to have meal he teleport back to Korea where the food is cheap. Although he do wanted to try the local food, he realized food is not the priority, it's the visits. As for place to sleep, he either went any Youth Center and sometimes to budget hotels for experiences (or not to mention budget hotels in Korea).

Kai go through his note again. He noticed he haven't visit China. Kai slumped on the bench again. "I need to have a day of rest first. My body feels like going to shut down anytime soon!". Kai glanced to his note and smiled.
 



Kai giggled. In the middle of the night, he is now at the Great Wall of China. Kai could not help but to visit the Great Wall at night. It's rather quiet and peaceful at night with nearly no souls around. Kai took out his torchlight and China's map. "Mmmnnn where should I go for tonight?". Kai can't help but to chuckled, "Planning things like this in the middle if the night, I felt like being a thief!". Kai browse the map again. Yiheyuan somehow caught his attention.

Kai instantly teleport himself to Yeheyuan.  As described in the map, the seaside looks very beautiful, even at night from the lightings from the area. Kai took a stroll around the nearby park. Kai then noticed a piece of paper folded like an airplane. But what caught his interest is the writings in it. It is in Korean. Kai picked it up.

Through the small hole at wall
I can see the lights from the other side
It is beautiful
I wonder
Was it really beautiful from the other side?

"Interesting" thought Kai. "Whoever wrote this surely a poet". Kai turned the paper around and noticed an address written on the backside, along with a name:

Luhan

"Huh Chinese? Whoever he is he surely good in Korean". Kai tossed away the paper when he noticed few more airplane folded papers around. Although Kai wanted to ignore them, he could not help but to begin picked each of them and read them. Almost of them have same story; as if telling that Luhan is a prisoner. Kai become curious. He looked at the address and studied his map. "Oh it's nearby" exclaimed Kai. Kai looked at the papers on ground and become embraced,  "Yeah it should be....for the papers to fly around here"
 



"Have you eaten your dinner?"

A boyish-looking young man who was looking outside the grilled window turned to the young girl and gave her a warm smile. "I will later. I'm not so hungry now"

"But it will get cold!" concerned the young girl

"Don't you worry Mei. It's fine to me. I'm used to it"

The young girl sighed. She gave the young man a disappointment look, "Luhan I still don't think they should do like this to y...."

"Hush! Say no more!"

"But...!"

"I will take time. I can still endure. No matter what happened they still my family. And so were you cousin Mei"

Mei let out a sigh. She slowly turned away. "Well then, good night Luhan"

"Good night cousin Mei" Luhan gave her another warm smile. "You better be fast Cousin Mei. If they found out you're here you'll be in trouble. You know you shouldn't be here" As Mei closing the door, she gave Luhan another look. "If only they can see how sincere and kind your smile is. Only then they will understand". She then shut the door.

Luhan slumped his body on the bed and cheerful whistle. Luhan closed his eyes as he lay on the bed. "You can come out now". Luhan spoke in perfect Korean. He then turned to look at the right corner of his room where there's a few big wardrobes. "I know you're there"

Kai emerge from the side of one of the wardrobes. He looked rather confused. "How did you know I was there?"

Luhan grinned. "I just know"

Kai studied Luhan's room. Or to be precise it's actually a storage room. With the size of 40 feet square, it's appears to be a bit comfy with all the cozy furniture in it. There's only one window to the whole room, and that was grilled. Kai begin to scratch his non itchy head. "What's going on here?". Kai studied Luhan; he doesn't look like someone who could commit horrible crime.

Luhan got himself up and sat on his bed, looking straight to Kai. "It's the same like you"

"Huh?"

"You have special ability aren't you?"

Kai become nervous. How did he know? Kai wondered. Then it hit Kai. "Ah you too? Then why wouldn't you just teleport yourself out from here?"

Luhan grinned. "Mine is not like yours, but have a look"

Luhan pointed towards a vase on one of the cupboards. As Luhan wave his hand into air, the vase was lifted into air. Kai was amazed. "Watch this". Luhan then squeeze his palm. Instantly the vase smashed into pieces in the mid air.

"Wow!!" Kai was schocked. "That's....That's.....Telekinesis!" Kai remembered in many science fiction films, Telekinesis ability is always a must in those genre. Kai turned to Luhan, "But that's mean you can destroyed this whole place and get out from here. Why didn't you do that?"

Luhan lay on his bed again. "If I ran, I have no place to go. Besides, I don't feel like leaving my family just like that"

Kai was stunned. "But!" Kai protested. "See how they treating you?! Why would you want to stay with them?". Luhan looked at Kai. "My life wasn't always like this. Everything was good, that's it, until last two summers ago. When I first time discovered my power". Luhan stretch his right hand into air. "They got scared. And because they're not used to this kind of thing they think I had been cursed"

"That's why! That's why you should leave! You said you had no place to go do you? You can come with me. You can stay with me" Kai suddenly remembered that he had been away from his family for long. He corrected himself, "You can travel with me"

Luhan shook his head. "Thank you. But I wanted my family to understand me and accept me for what I'am. I don't mind waiting for awhile"

Kai felt touched and begin to reminiscence his family and everything that happened recently. "Luhan....Listen. Maybe I, ummn I can talk to your family. Explain about our powers, and how much we are no harm to anyone"

Luhan shooked his head again. "It's ok. I wish to do it myself". This time he looked at Kai and gave him a warm smile, "Thank you"

Kai become ashamed of himself. He begin to think of his family, particularly his mother. "I think I should be going...".

"May I at least know your name? It's unfair you know mine"

"Kai"

"Nice name. Are you from Korea? Or you live nearby?"

"I'm from Korea" Kai gave Luhan another look. "I promise to visit you again. And maybe next time you can me some souvenirs". Luhan chuckled. "I would love to have souvenirs from Korea. It's been quite sometimes since I've been there. I missed Korea, and that is why I keep writing my poem in Korean"

Ah that’s explain though Kai. Kai smiled. "No problem. Farewell". Kai the teleported back to the same park he was before. He knee down to pick up some of Luhan's letters he ignored earlier. As he gone through the letters Kai could not help but to think of his family. Without realizing it, a single tear ran down through his left cheek.

Kai teleported in front of his restaurant-house. Feeling nervous, Kai gripped his both hands and slowly walked towards the door. Slowly Kai opened the door. "Hello?"

His mother's voice can be heard from the kitchen, "Sorry mister but we're closed". She then merged from the kitchen, "You can come again tomo.......!". Kai's mother stopped at track. She then ran towards Kai and hugged him hard. "Kai! Thank god you're alright! I knew you were safe!". Kai hugged her mother back. "Mum" Kai voice stammered, "I'm sorry, I've should have...." But his mother stopped him, "Say no more! What important is that you're safe and well"

Kai begin to cry. Only now he realized how lucky he is. The two of them hugged each other for quite awhile before walked into the second floor to join the rest of the family.
 



"Kai! We have another deliveries to do!"

"Yes mum! Where is it this time?"

"It's new costumers. Here's the addresses"

Kai grabbed the note from his mother. "Got it!"

His mother passed the delivery boxes to Kai. "Honestly Kai, you need to tell me your secret. Everybody keep talking how efficient your deliveries are"

Kai chuckled. "I have my own secret". He then turned to his mum and gave her a wink. His mother smiled, and with embarrassing look,  pushed him outside. "You have deliveries to do young man"

Kai humming happily as he took his new bicycle and begin to cycle. When he is a bit far from his restaurant-house, Kai went to one of the bushed and hide his bicycle. Then he teleported to his destinations to do the deliveries.

 


 

"That's for today!" Kai exclaimed happily as he check his small note. "Today done 24 deliveries. That's new record for me!"

Suddenly Kai heard a loud bang, followed by splashes of water. Kai turned around to find the source of the sound. He noticed the explosion came from the nearby golf course. Tough curious, Kai decided he had enough of the day and teleported home.