Episode 04: Baekhyun (Photokinesis)

Exo Prelude

 

Beakhyun stares sharply to another young man in front of him. Fully focused, Baekhyun watched every moves the young man make and when the young man rushed towards him, Baekhyun immediately grabbed the young man on the shoulder and slammed him hard on the ground.

Hands clapping can be heard.

Baekhyun offered the young man his hand and help him to stand up. They both then bowed to each other.

"Good one Baekhyun hyung!" one of the junior students cheered. Baekhyun smirked. "Thanks. I was in good mood". Baekhyun recalled the yesterday incident, where he beaten up some bullies to save a boy. It was good to be able to beat somebody outside the class. He never actually like the idea of beating his own trainees despite it was part of the training.

" Baekhyun!"

Baekhyun turned. It's Hyori, the secretary of the Student Council. "Suho-ssi been looking for you!". Baekhyun raised his eyebrow. Suho-ssi? The President of the Student Council? Why would he want to see me? Baekhyun stared at Hyori suspiciously, "Any idea why would the Student Council President want to see me?"

Hyori shrugged, but then she recalled something. "Oh! I believe it's about the upcoming trip"

Why would the President see me about the trip? Regardless Baekhyun headed to the Student Council room. As he opened the door he can see the President, Suho sitting on the table.

"Ah Baekhyun! It seems Hyori managed to find you"

Baekhyun took a seat. "I heard you were looking for me regarding the trip"

"Indeed" Suho began. "We will be having few foreigner students with us. Each of them will have one student to take care of them, you know, we need to show our hospitality to them".

Baekhyun leaned back. He had a bad feeling. Suho smirked. "One of us, Chanyeol suddenly pulled off from the trip. So I need you to replace him"

"Eh? Why me?"

"Because you one of the few who can converse English well" Suho gave Baekhyun another smirk. "And not to mention you're also a hapkido master"

Baekhyun facepalmed. Suho handed him a paper. "This is the student I want you to take care of. His name is Lay, and he is from China"
"Ah wait!"
"I need to attend a meeting to arrange the trip". Suho got himself up and walked out the room. He then stopped at the door and gave Baekhyun a thumbs up, "I know you can do it", he then disappeared to the hallway, leaving Baekhyun dumbfolded.

 

 


 



Ah why me? Baekhyun scratch his head as he headed to the changing room. "Ah sheezs! Seriously that guy. What's his name again? Chanyeol?". Baekhyun silent for a moment.  Chanyeol....He heard that name before. He is one of the richest kids in the school. Baekhyun is not fancy on the rich kids but he heard a lot about Chanyeol. All negatives things. He heard Chanyeol as a spoiled brat, hot-tempered, and anti-social.

Everything is totally opposite of Suho; although he is also one of the richest kid in the school, he is very responsible, temperament, and social able. So it's no surprise he was elected as the Student Council President.

But again, as Baekhyun recalled, Chanyeol is also known for being very passionate while Suho is very laid back despite all the responsibilities he had. Baekhyun shook his head.

He glanced over the paper again and studied the photo. "Lay huh?"
 

 


 

 

Baekhyun fling his school jacket to the chair as he jump into his bed. Baekhyun rolled left and right before he slumped his face on the pillow. He still not over the evening incident.

Today's training exhausted him more than usual. Not bothering to take off his uniform Baekhyun went to turn off his bedroom light, leaving only his bedside lamp on. Baekhyun stared at the bedside lamp. His hand then slowly reaching the lamp and turn it off.

The room instantly become dark. Although as time goes by the eyes will get used to the dark, Baekhyun experienced otherwise. He felt everything become darker. His chest felt tighten, and his head begin to spin. Baekhyun rushed to the bedside lamp and have it lighten again.

The room filled with dim light again.

Baekhyun gasping hard for air as he support himself on the table. Baekhyun's Achilles’ Heel; he could not stand the dark. He suffered Nyctophobia, a severe fear of darkness.

Originally Baekhyun did not scared of the dark, but that changed on a summer when he was eight. He and few of his cousins were playing hide and seek at Baekhyun's family summer house located near to the sea. It was almost late night and the children decided to play at that hour to challenge themselves; both against fear the darkness and the thrill to hide and find each other in the dark.

The game started with the oldest cousin become the seeker. Baekhyun went to an old shack that had always been his favorite hiding place whenever they play hide and seek.

Except this is the first time he hide there at night.

Baekhyun giggled as he wait anxiously for his cousin to find him. He hoped he will be the last to be found. That way he can finally bragged how well he had remain hidden, something that he is not really good at whenever he playing hide and seek game.

Hours went by and Baekhyun realized nobody even come near to the shack. He knows because the whole place is very quiet, only the sound of the crickets, and the ocean wave beating the shore accompany him all this while. Had anyone passing around he knows he can hear them clearly.

Baekhyun become restless. By now he couldn't care the game anymore. He wanted to go out and find his cousins. Baekhyun walked towards the door and tried to open it. The door jammed. Baekhyun gave another try, a harder turn.

Nothing happened.

Baekhyun become pale. Now he become afraid. Inside the shack is very dark. Only the moonlight shines inside the shack. Baekhyun looked around. By now he begin to feel as if he is not alone in the room. Baekhyun slowly walked into a corner of the shack. He waved his hand in front as he couldn’t see anything.

Then Baekhyun felt like he had touched something. He studied the texture. It is cold and they were like flesh. Baekhyun become extremely frightened and he instantly backed off. Then out of sudden Baekhyun can feel something had pounced on him. Baekhyun let out a cry and he then lost his consciousness.
 

 


 

 

Baekhyun opened his eyes and stared the ceiling blankly. He remembered it was the same thing he did when he gained his consciousness that night. His family eventually found him in the shack, with several rubber mats and cardboard boxes on top of him.

Although Baekhyun had known the truth inside the shack, the experience still left him dpfear to the darkness. It is still something he could not describe. He did try to overcome his fear to darkness.

Many times.

All failed.

Baekhyun closed his eyes and he let himself fallen asleep as the dim light of bedside lamp continue to fill the room.


 




"I believe you're Baekhyun"

Baekhyun turned. Standing in front of him is a neat-looking student. Baekhyun recognized the student as Lay as he had been looking at Lay's photo for the past few days. Baekhyun studied Lay. He is rather skinny, to the point Baekhyun feared that if strong wind blows he might fly away. Lay is also rather tall, Baekhyun had to raised his head to see the Lay's face.

"Yes I'am"

The student reached out his hand. With accented Korean the student introduced himself, "I'am Lay. I've been understood that you will be taking care of me during the trip"

"Indeed I'am". Baekhyun reached out his hand as well and the two exchanged handshakes.

Lay smiled. "I had to go. President Suho said he had some briefing for us from China regarding the trip. Nice meeting you and hope we will do well during the trip"

Lay then walked away, leaving Baekhyun dumb folded. He never thought their first meeting would go smoothly.

And briefly.

 




"Baekhyun"

Baekyun stopped his training. It's his Hapkido class president.

"We are having new trainees joining us, and we ran out of uniform. Can you get some of them in the storeroom?"

"Sure" Baekhyun took off his gloves. "Which storeroom by the way?"

"Ah thank you Baekhyun. It's the one in the underground"

Baekhyun dropped his gloves. His face turned pale.

"Baekhyun? What's wrong?"

Baekhyun faked a smile. "No, no I'm fine. I'll go get them now".

Baekhyun left the training room. He went to his locker, placed his gloves and grabbed his torchlight. He then headed to the underground passage.

The underground passage is actually very bright. However after a recent storm, some electricity sources within the school become unstable. The underground area had been very dark ever since as the engineers still trying to fix the school electricity sources.

Baekhyun reached the underground door. Slowly he opened the door. Inside is pitch dark. Baekhyun gulped. He then switch on his torchlight and slowly took the steps into the underground.

1,2,3,4,5. Baekhyun paused. He begin to shiver. But he could not stop now. He could not turn back. Nobody must know his weakness. With heavy heart Baekhyun continued his heavy steps.

Baekhyun reached downstairs. He can see boxes everywhere and some white sheets covering several items. Some of them have a shape of humans , which Baekhyun assumed them as menniquin. He hope.

Baekhyun begin to examine the boxes, looking for the uniform label. Suddenly Baekhyun's torchlight begin to flicker.

Baekhyun become panic.

Not now

Baekhyun tapped his torchlight. The light become stable again. Baekhyun gave out a deep sighed of relief. Beakhyun continues his search. This time he did more faster. He then finally spotted a box with uniform label on it. He slowly trying to open the box to do confirmation.

Then without warning.

The light went out.

Baekhyun instantly suffered panic attack. He frantically tapped his torchlight. No lights come out. Baekhyun speared his hand as he struggled to escape the place, he however tripped on something and fell. His accidentally drop his torchlight. Baekhyun frantically search for it but within the darkness he could not find it. The torchlight must had rolled far.

Baekhyun rolled his body as he cowered in fear. Somebody PLEASE find me! Baekhyun begin to sobbed. He felt he want to scream. Scream for help.

Suddenly the whole storeroom emitted strong white light.

 




"Oh Baekhyun"

Baekhyun nearly dropped his books. It's Suho. Suho studied the book on Baekhyun hands. Around four and all of them on supernatural and super powers topics.

"I didn't know you're into this kind of stuffs" exclaimed Suho as he grabbed one of them and flipped it open.

Baekhyun become red with embarrassment. "Surprised myself too"

Baekhyun recalled the storeroom incident two days ago. As he cowered in fear in the darkness, and as he was about to scream, strong white lights emitted from his two palms.

"Hey Baekhyun!"

Baekhyun snapped back into reality. Suho is staring at him. "Are you ok?"

"Yea" Baekhyun was a bit embarrassed.

Suho passed the book back to Baekhyun. "I suggest you try this one instead". Suho passed him a book of ESP (Extra Sensory Perception) topic as he walked away. Baekhyun was rather surprise.

"Su...Suho sssi...I didn't know you"

Suho gave a quick turned. "Surprised myself". He then walked away. Baekhyun was bewildered.


 




"May I?"

Baekhyun gave a gentle nodded. Lay the sit next to him. Lay stretched himself out as he studied the front part of the bus, then he gave a turn to the back. "Mr. President is not joining us?"

Baekhyun turned to his back. He can see Hyori is sitting by herself as the seat next to her is empty. Then a male student approached her and asked permission to sit, to which Hyori granted. Baekhyun snickered as he assumed the student had crush on Hyori.

He then remembered Lay's question earlier. "Ummm yea he's not joining. I heard he had some issues need to be settled at school"

"Ah that's too bad"

Baekhyun laid back to his seat and watched outside. He is unsure if he can have any conversation with Lay. Baekhyun was relief to see Lay is having conversations with his Chinese friends that was sitting opposite of them. At least now he wouldn't need to worry to occupy Lay. Baekhyun looked outside again to enjoy the countryside view.

 




The trip to the countryside went well. Baekhyun found himself rather busy explaining Lay, and sometimes even to his other Chinese friends of Korean cultures and areas. Despite that Baekhyun did felt happy that he can be useful.

As Baekhyun took a stroll by himself, he spotted Lay, alone and was looking closely at something on the table. Baekhyun approached Lay and saw Lay was looking at a withered plant, with a dying butterfly next to it. Lay noticed Baekhyun.

"Oh Baekhyun"

Baekhyun examined the plant and the butterfly. "Ah they're dying"

"Yea...." Lay's expression become solemn. "It's sad to see them"

"There's nothing we can do. It's a cycle of life"

Lay stretched himself. "Yes you're right. Though I do wish I can do something about that"

Baekhyun gave a small smile. "Ah enough morbid talks. I think we should head to the bus now".

Lay smiled back and they walked towards the bus. Baekhyun looked into the sky, it's getting dark. He just remembered that he had forgotten to bring along his torchlight, and he couldn't actually use his light ability in the public. He needed to get to the bus fast.

Eventually everyone gathered in the bus as the teacher begin to do head counting. Baekhyun closed his eyes and dozed off almost instantly.

The bus had travelled for almost one hour when it suddenly made a sharp turned. Baekhyun awaken, completely taken by surprised. Then without warning Baekhyun was bolted from his seat. As he was violently sliding on the bus floor he managed to grabbed hold on a nearby seat as the bus then made another violent turned before it finally flipped into one side.

Baekhyun opened his eyes. He is completely disoriented. Beakyun realized he is on the road, laying next to other injured students. Lay is nowhere to be seen. How long had I've been passed put?

The whole place was rather dark, with only several lights, mostly from the wreckage bus luminating the area. Baekhyun can hear teachers and some students' panic voices. He realized they are doing search and rescue while waiting for the authorities to arrive.

Baekhyun got himself up and after looked his surrounding for safety, he activate the lights on his palm and begin to search around. He can feel pain over his body but he didn't think he suffered any heavy injuries. As he search around he saw Hyori, lay on the floor, bleeding from her right arm and head.

"Hyori!"

Hyori had lost consciouness. Baekhyun carefully carried her to the where he was. Placing her among tpother unconscious students. Baekhyun found a first aid kit nearby and wrapped her injuries. Baekhyun then left her and rushed to look for other injured students. He is hoping to find Lay.

Bekhyun get himself inside the wreckage bus. He flashed his hand around. No one. He couldn't find anyone. The teachers must had taken out all the students outside. Then Baekhyun heard some loud voices at the side of the road, over the cliff. Baekhyun become pale. Could have students had fallen into the cliff? Were they thrown out of the bus? Baekhyun rushed outside when he bumped into someone.

It's Hyori!

And mores surprised she seems to be alright.

Baekhyun hide his hands as he the lights slowly fading away. "Hyori! You're alright!"

Hyori examined her right arm and then he head. "Yea. I thought I was bleeding but when I examined them I found out I wasn't". Beakhyun could not believe his eyes. He remember well that Hyori was bleeing when he found her. "I'm going to look around for any other injured students" Hyori the rushed away. Baekhyn can see she is really energinetic, with no sign she was injured before. Baekhyun just confused by now.

"There are some students down there!!"

Baekhyun turned and saw a teacher carried an unconscious student on his shoulder. Baekhyun headed to the edge of the read. The cliff was not that steep. Below the cliff is a rather thick forest, and very dark. Realising his newfound ability, Baekhyun decided to volunteered himself on the rescue mission. He then slowly slide down as he activated his lights.

Once on the ground, Baekhyun begin to flashed the area. He is not too worried if anyone spotted him. He is sure most people would be very disoriented by now to realized the lights came from his palm. Baekhyun continue searching when a student walked towards him. Baekhyun nearly jumped because the student just emerged from the darkness at a fast speed.

"Where am I?"

Baekhyun studied the student. His uniform is tattered and full of blood, as if he had sustained horrible injuries, but judging his condition right now, he seems very fine and healthy. Baekhyun tried to remained composed and guided the student to go to the edge of the cliff to wait for a teacher to come down. Baekhyun then headed further into the forest.

Then Baekhyun saw a student laying on the floor, while the other one kneeling next to him. Baekhyun recognized the kneeling student as Lay.

"Lay! You're alright!"

But Lay gave no response.

"Lay.....?....!"

Baekhyun noticed Lay is placing his palm near to the unconscious student's bleeding head. Then he can see a dim yellowish white light emitted from it. The bleeding then stopped and the injury slowly disappeared, leaving behind nothing. Not even a single scar.

The student then opened his eyes. Disoriented. As expected. Lay begin to pant. Baekhyun took control the situation and guided the student like he did before. As the student left Baekhyun approached Lay.

"Lay! Lay! You ok?"

Lay gave a weak nodded. "So you seen it?". Baekhyun nodded. "I hope you would not tell anyone about it. Nobody must found out about it". Baekhyun stood silently. He slowly showed his right palm to Lay.

"Baekhyun! Your hand......?!"

"Then that's make two of us. Come we should look for more students"

Lay nodded and Baekhyun offered his hand. Lay got himself up and they begin to look around, whith Lay had become weaker. They the spotted another student laying on the floor. They turned the student and they can see his had sustained horrible injuries. Lay hold the student's wrist. "He is dying!"

Lay begin to focus as Baekhyun flashed the light to guide Lay. Lay was healing the student halfway when he collapsed. Baekhyun cradled Lay. "Lay! Lay!"

Lay opened his eyes. "His injuries is too much. I'm out of energy to do further healing". Lay obviously had become upset. "I think I'm going to fail to save him"

"No it's not your fault. There's nothing you can do about it"

Lay shook his head. "You know it's not true"

Baekhyun hold his words. Lay is right, he can actually save the student. Baekhyun become upset, earlier he did felt he had become useful, but now he felt useless. He wished he can do something. When he think again, his power is nothing compare to Lay. Baekhyun become upset.

Very upset.

As Baekhyun cradled Lay in frustration, the lights in his palm become brighter and brighter, then the lights channeled into Lay's body. Baekhyun was surprised. Then the next thing he knows Lay was standing, looking at his hands. He then looked at Baekhyun.

"I don't know what you did but I feel fresh!" He then turned to the injured student. "I think I can save him now!". Lay instantly kneeled and begin to heal. Baekhyun still kneeling still, still in state of confusion. He looked at his palm, the light is a bit dimmer now. Baekhyun recalled what he had recently. Energy manipulation. It was said it often associate with the light. Could he had energy manipulation as well?

Baekhyun then noticed Lay had appeared exhausted again. The student injuries must be very horrible. Baekhyun approached Lay. Baekhyun closed his eyes and focused. He then can felt he is channeling energy to Lay, helping Lay to maintain his energy to continue his healing.

"Done!"

Baekhyun collapsed onto the ground. Lay panted a bit. All the student injuries were fully recovered. The student then opened his eyes. Lay guided the student and the student immediately left as he cried for help. Lay turned to Baekhyun, who is also begin to pant.

"You're ok Baekhyun?"

Baekhyun nodded. "I think so...."

"Can you continue?"

Baekhyun shook his head. "I don't think so...". Baekhyun looked at his palms. The lights were getting dimmer. Baekhyun begin to feel scared. "I think we need to get out from here. We are getting too deep into the forest. Let the adults continue the search..."

Lay nodded, although Baekhyun can sensed it was a reluctant one. Lay approached Baekhyun and help him to get up. Lay supported Baekhyun as they slowly walking back to the cliff.

"Baekhyun"

"Yea?"

"Thanks"

"Don't mentioned it"

Then a teacher spotted them.


 




A week later a memorial service was held at the school. As the President of the Student Council, Suho given a self-important speech to the school about how everyone should move on and to cherish the lost ones.

Baekhyun and Lay standing side by side throughout the speech. Bakehyun then leaned over to the obvious sad Lay. "I'm sorry you had to gone through this during your stay"

Lay looked down. "I just wish I can save everyone"

"It can't be help. Sometimes it just can't"

Lay sighed. Then he looked at Baekhyun. "It could had been more if not because of you"

Beakhyun gave a small smile. He recalled that night. After they had returned to the accident area, Lay slowly, and quietly begin to heal the rest of the students, with Baekhyun helped to charge energy to Lay. As time goes by Baekhyun realized that he can also charge energy to other normal people, given them strength again. He in other hand, never feel exhausted, unless he release mass energy in one blow just like he did earlier.

"You're welcome" Baekhyun eventually replied. Baekhun then noticed on the far right of Lay, there's a student with unsatisfied/angry expression. Although he is not sure, he believes the student is Chanyeol, based on his shaggy hair description he been hearing.

Baekhyun ignored the student and focused on Suho's speech again, as he resolved to make use his power for better in the future, so that he can saves lives like Lay.