Episode 06: Suho (Hydrokinesis)

Exo Prelude

Balls of water floats around inside the cubicle shower where Suho is taking bath. Suho, with his eyes closed, was immersed in deep thoughts of his earlier golf training that he didn't realized anything out of ordinary. However, as soon as Suho opened his eyes, he noticed the floating balls of water and all of them burst and fell on the ground.

 




Suho sat on the shower room bench as he tied his shoelaces. He continue to recalled the earlier incident. He brushes the thoughts off, believing he had be a bit delusional after whole day of intensive training. Suho grabbed his bag and left the shower room.

"Good effort today Joon Myun"

Suho stopped his steps and turned. He can see his golf instructor approaching him from behind. Suho bowed a little for respect.

"Thank you"
"I hope you can keep it up. We will have few more training to go before you're completely done"
"Understood"
"Good. Then I'll see you in two weeks time. Till then continue practicing. The tournament is getting nearer"

Suho nodded respectably and as soon his instructor walked away, he walked away as well. Suho walked past a fountain and then proceed to walk alongside the fountain stream. Suho turned and noticed the water in the stream making movement along with his steps, as if there were something inside the stream following Suho along.

Suho stopped walking and headed closer to the stream. The water is clear and Suho saw nothing inside. Not even a fish. Suho continue his steps and the water inside the stream made another movement, following Suho along.

―――――

Few days later, as Suho washed his face, he paused for a moment when he realized the pool of water he cupped in his hand making some movement. Then a small ball of water emerged from the pool and begin to float. Suho was surprised and let go his hand, causing the water to fall into the sink.

Then several small balls of water begin to emerge from the pools of water on the bathroom floor. Suho cupped his two ears with his hands, demanding them to stop. Instantly the water balls fell on the floor.

Suho stand still for awhile before he eventually grabbed a towel, wiped his face dry and headed down to join his family to join them for breakfast. Suho noticed the seat where his brother would seat is empty, he realized he must took quite sometimes in the shower and his brother had left for his class. Suho sat and grabbed a bowl of cereal his mother had prepared. His mother noticed Suho's restless expression.

"Joon Myun what's wrong?"

Suho snapped back to reality. He was about to open his mouth when his father interrupted him as he joined them at the table, with newspaper at his hand.

"Look at all the articles these days! When they have no natural disaster news to report, no political news to report, they start to come out with something to report!"

Suho's father throw the newspaper on the table. Suho gave a glimpse of it and he saw a photo of a man soaring in the sky, with what Suho identify the building at the back of the flying man as One World Centre in Vancouver, Canada.

But Suho's mother managed to remain calm. "But honey, some people are special, gifted with these abilities"

But Suho's father sneered to that statement, "What I see those people are nothing but a bunch of freaks!"

Suho was stunned with his father remark. Suho lost his appetite and stop eating.

“Oh Joon Myun” his father suddenly recalled. “You were saying something?”

 “It…..It’s was nothing…” Feeling completely depressed, Suho got himself up, walked away from the dining table, leaving behind his unfinished breakfast.

“What’s with him lately?” concerned Suho’s mother. Suho’s father sat next to his wife, picked the newspaper again, flipped open and begin to read. “Changing phase of life probably” he assured his wife. “He’ll go through it”

 


 

Suho flipped open several books regarding ESP (Extra Sensory Perception) in the school library. It’s past school time but he had no mood of going home soon. His mind is clouded with many thoughts and it’s slowly driving him crazy. He even find himself unable to handle several events but because too many people had expectations on him, he had to remain cool. He thoughts back to Baekhyun, whom he recently tasked to take care a foreign exchange student from China, when he was the one who supposed to do the job after the original student, Chanyeol pulled himself off. Suho shook his head as he silently snickering, apologizing to Baekhyun for the sudden troubles.

Suho eventually found a book that caught his interest. He kept the rest of the books back to their places and slowly walked towards the library counter when he begin to hear voice echoing in his head.

Guide to Supernatural, How to use your ESP Abilities Effectively, World of Unexplained Events.

Suho can hear the voice clearly, and yet he is sure it's all in his head, but the voice sounded very familiar. Baekhyun thought Suho. He must have thought Baekhyun too often recently. As Suho turned over a corner he spotted Baekhyun in another corner of the Supernatural section in the library.

Speak of the devil! What is he doing here? In that section as well?

Suho approached Baekhyun and stealthily picked up one books from Baekhyun. He can see Baekhyun nearly dropped his books out of shock. Instead of apologizing, Suho coolly questioned Baekhyun, “I didn’t know you’re into this kind of stuffs?”

Suho can see Baekhyun’s face slowly becoming red, Baekhyun laughed nervously, embarrassing admitted he also not sure when he was into supernatural. Suho raised his eyebrow, he is a bit suspicious but decided not to deduct anything. Suho noticed Baekhyun had been rather quiet, as if he was in trance.

"Hey Baekhyun!"

Baekhyun snapped back into reality. Suho is staring at him suspiciously. "Are you ok?"

"Yea" Suho can see Baekhyun was a bit embarrassed with himself.

Suho looked at his ESP topic book and the other book he took from Baekhyun earlier. He passed the book back to Baekhyun. "I suggest you try this one instead". Suho passed him the book he originally wanted to borrow. Suho then walked away.

"Su...Suho sssi...I didn't know you"

Suho gave a quick turned. "Surprised myself". Suho then walked away, leaving Baekhyun bewildered.

As Suho passed the school corridor outside the library, Suho spotted Chanyeol. He had been wanted to meet Chanyeol to ask him of his sudden withdrawal from the Foreign Exchange Student project.

“Hey Chanyeol!” Suho called out. Chanyeol stopped his steps and looked over his shoulder. As Suho get himself closer to Chanyeol, Suho felt that Chanyeol’s expression had changed; he looked somehow bitter. Suho felt uneasy but he shook off that feeling. He felt he had been thinking too much lately.

“Chanyeol. Pardon me for suddenly calling you. But may I know why you suddenly withdrawal from the Foreign Exchange Student project? I think you will be doing fine”

Chanyeol glared at Suho with what Suho described like a hungry lion staring at its prey, waiting a perfect time to prowl. Suho felt very uneasy with Chanyeol’s expression.

“Am I not allowed to?” Chanyeol coldly replied.

Suho backed to his senses. “Ah no…You can. I just want to know. Well…” Suho tried to arrange his words properly. “Well, in case you’re in some sort of trouble and might need help. I mean, that’s our duty in the Student Council”

“The only trouble I had is people been meddling my business” Chanyeol walked away.

“Chanyeol wait!” But Chanyeol did not bothered to stop, neither turned his back to response to Suho.

What was that? Wondered Suho.

 


 

Suho studied his speech text carefully. The school trip that he was responsible for was involved in an accident and several students were killed. Suho felt completely down, he was originally supposed to join the trip but he had to withdrawal because he wasn’t feeling well, or the truth is, he discovered recently water activities around him become more frequent and he worried somebody might see him during that time, especially the trip has a lake as one of the visiting locations.

Suho took another paper detailing of the accidents. It was reported that some students miraculously survived the accident with no starches despite they were thrown far away from the accident area. Some of them when they were discovered, their cloth were soaked in blood and tattered beyond recognition, and yet they escape the horror with no injuries. He also noticed in the report mentioning Baekhyun, along with his partner Lay had been very active in rescuing and tending other injured students.

Suho wondered, was something happened back then? He recalled Baekhyun at the library recently, with all the books he been picking on. Is Baekhyun, or probably Lay, is like him? Like me? Do they have special abilities as well?

Suho folded the report paper and placed it in his blazer pocket. He then proceed to the assembly hall to give his speech.

 


 

“Joon Myun, What’s with you today?”

Suho watched his golf ball slowly rolling away from the green field, and into the sandy area. He had played horribly today and he can see clear frustration on his instructor’s face.

“You should be able to do better. Focus Joon Myun. Focus”

How should I? With all the mess he been in the past few days, he is unable to focus to almost everything. He felt completely distracted, especially with his recent encounter with Chanyeol and the bus accident. Suho become flustered. He took another golf ball, teed it up and gave another swing.

Twing!

The golf ball feel not even into the green, instead in went straight into the artificial lake. Suho’s instructor become completely frustrated with Suho’s today’s performance, and so does Suho.

“Get some rest Joon Myun. I think it’s enough for today. I admit I’m a bit disappointed with your performance today”

Suho bit his lips. He is completely frustrated with everything; his performance, his instructors, all the people expectations’ had on him, the recent incidents.

“What’s with everyone? Am I not allowed a room for mistakes? When I’ve been doing well all this time?!” Suho lashed out his frustration.

Suddenly a violent explosion of water burst out from the lake.

Several players halted their game and stared at the lake. Some players even left the area, concern the water blast either a bomb or engineering malfunctioning in the golf course. Suho was stunned. Did I did that?

Suho arrived the locker room and placed all his equipment inside. As Suho reached the golf club lobby area, almost all players gathered there with everyone talk about the explosion, some even tried to leave the club. The manager even come out trying to calm the panicked players. Within the mayhem Suho slipped passed them, leaving the place.

Instead of calling his brother as usual, he took the golf club provided taxi service. But instead of directing the driver to his house, he requested to be dropped somewhere nearby to his house, he wished to have a stroll before he headed home.

Suho strolled along the riverside. With nobody is around, only the street lights illuminating the road, the riverside is quiet and peaceful. Suho then looked at the calmness of the river. Suddenly a sensation crept inside Suho. As he closed his eyes he felt like he can felt the river current flow. Suho felt he had been denying the whole thing when he hould had started to embrace it.

Suho opened his eyes and slowly raise his hand. Although it’s dark, Suho can see, or sense the water had risen from the river, following Suho’s hand movements. Suho smiled as he finally be able to accept his new ability. Suho moved his hand around and the water obediently moved along.

Suho then noticed at the edge of the forest on the opposite of the river, the sky had turned red.

Was there a fire?

Without thinking Suho rushed to the bridge and crossed to the other side of the river. He is unsure why but he felt he need to get there. All his thoughts was the fire need to be put out. Suho knew he could just called the ambulance but he felt it will took them longer to arrive, since the place is rather remote.

As Suho getting nearer, he can felt the heat. Suho looked around, wondering if there’s anyone around. With the recent accident, he don’t feel like he wanted to see anyone dead. He headed deeper into the forest and he can finally see fire engulfing the forest.

Suho raised his hand and summoned the water from the river to the air, sending them into the fire and successfully extinguished them. But he realized there were more fire the deep of the forest. Suho braced himself as he continue to extinguish the fire.

Suho then saw something that surprised him, he halted his steps. In front of him he can see Chanyeol, frantically unleashed fireballs from his hands, burning everything in the forest.

Is he the one did all this? Is that fire really come out from his hand? Is he also…like me?

Chanyeol suddenly stopped throwing fireballs and slowly turned around. Suho can see he was surprised to see him here.

“What are you doing here??!” demanded Chanyeol.

Honestly Suho is unsure himself, but Chanyeol doesn’t seemed bothered to know the answer. Chanyeol summoned fire on his right hand. “Suho…..I had never like you anyway”

Beads of sweat dripping from his forehead, both from the heat of the fire and over Chanyeol’s sudden hatred statement. “Excuse me?” was the only sentence Suho could uttered.

“Tell me, to have that position of yours, where all the attention goes to you, even your family never lose their eyes on you”

What’s with this jealousy? Was this the one been bothering him? Me? My position?

“Listen here Chanyeol, it’s not as easy as you think. I….”

“Shut up! It was easy for you to say! You had no idea how it feels to be ignored, abandoned!”

Suho took few steps back. He was surprised by Chanyeol’s sudden burst of anger. The fire at Chanyeol’s hand become bigger. “Now I wished you just gone Suho! I wished you never existed!”

Chanyeol proceed to throw a fireball towards Suho. Suho hurled himself on the ground, avoiding the fireball. He then saw another fireball coming towards him, he instantly got on his two feet and avoided it. Chanyeol become agitated.

“Stop…avoiding…ME?!”

Don’t be ridicules thought Suho. Who wanted to be burn by those fire? Suho then saw another fireball charging at him. Suho tried to moved aside but slipped and fell on the ground. The fireball rushed over his head but as Suho tried to stand up he felt an intense pain on his left ankle. To his horror he had sprained his ankle.

Chanyeol noticed this and used the opportunity to thrown a massive fireball to Suho. Suho watched in horror as the fireball charging fast to him. Suho raised his two arms, preparing to embrace himself with the impact when a wall of water suddenly formed in front of him and extinguished the fireball.

“What?!”

Suho removed his arms and saw the wall of water. He instantly waved his hand to the front, causing the water to project itself to Chanyeol. Took by surprised Chanyeol didn’t managed to avoid it and the water splashed on him at high speed. Chanyeol tumbled on the ground, with a thud he landed on his back.

Suho tried to stand. He bit his lips as he tried to endure the pain on his ankle. He then raised his two hands. Water begin to formed above his hands. Suho spread his and the water begin to dispersed into the forest, extinguished all the fire. Suho eventually realized he not only capable of manipulating water from water sources, but in the air as well, that way he appeared like he had generated the water himself.

Suho slowly walked towards Chanyeol. Still laying on the ground,  soaking wet, Chanyeol glared sharply at Suho. “Did you just did that?!”

“Indeed I’am” Suho answered firmly. “Listen Chanyeol. You and I are the same. I don’t think we should be fighting against each other. I refuse to” Suho let out his hand, offering it to Chanyeol to stand up. “Let’s forget the whole thing”

Chanyeol slapped Suho’s hand away. "Why should I?" sneered Chanyeol as he turned his face away from Suho. "Get away from me!!"

Suho looked at Chanyeol pitifully. He then squatted down next to Chanyeol. "Look here Chanyeol, it must be hurt to have people around you have low expectation on you. But it wasn't easy when they have too high on you. I was hurt. Really bad"

Chanyeol slowly turned his head at looked at Suho in disbelief, Suho continued, "There's no room for mistakes. Even with all your previous achievements, once you made a mistake, everything else is forgotten. Everything I had achieved was forgotten. It's hurt. What are they expecting? Do I need to get things right all the time? What am I? A machine?"

Suho clamped his fists as he tried to hid his watery eyes. He then raised his head, stared sternly at Chanyeol. "There are more people like us out there. I'm sure of it". Suho suddenly grabbed Chanyeol's hand. "We will find them and together we will use our powers to help those in need"

Chanyeol loss at words. He is unsure how to react to Suho, the latter he had been hating. Suho eyes become wide as he suddenly realized he can read Chanyeol's thoughts. He recalled back then in the library with Bekhyun earlier. Suho begin to suspect he can telepathically read the thoughts of those possessed special ability like him. If that the case he had found another member.

Suho get himself up, in pain as he doing so. He pulled Chanyeol up as well, who is still in silence. With Chanyeol standing next to Suho, Suho is like a midget with Chanyeol towering him. Suho moaned as he tried to walk. Each steps he took agonizing to him. After he few steps, he felt a hand slipped under his right armpit.
 

"For this time only" hissed Chanyeol as he bend his body to support Suho. "Don't expect me to be nice to you again in the future"

Suho smiled and the two of them left the forest as the siren sound ringing from the distance.