Episode 03: Sehun (Aerokinesis)

Exo Prelude

"Sehun! Sehun!"

 

Standing in front of Sehun is a tall man in his late 30s, smiling broadly as Sehun lazily rubbed his sleepy eyes.

 

"We are here Sehun. Go grab your belongings"

 

Sehun stretched his arms and lazily standing up to grabbed his belongings on the upper compartment. The man compare himself with Sehun. "My God Sehun! You surely tall! All these years I never realized it"

 

"That's because we rarely spend time each other appa...."

 

The man nodded acknowledging. "I agree with you son, which is why I'm glad you agreed to come along with me"

 

The two man slowly ascending the train steps. Sehun continue to rubbed his eyes as he yawning.

 

"Haha didn't thought you could manage to sleep in those noises"

 

"It's the air appa. The fresh air. And the cold wind"

 

Sehun recalled their journey earlier.

 

 


 

 

As the train leaving the busy city behind and begin to enter the countryside, Sehun was fascinated with its beauty. "Appa can I open the window?"

 

"Sure. But won't it be too noisy or windy for you?"

 

Sehun shook his head. "I think I want to enjoy the fresh air". Sehun slide the window opened. A rush of fresh, cold air slapped Sehun's face. For a moment Sehun was in dazed, inviting a small laughter from his father. Then slowly Sehun begin to get use with it.

 

Sehun in fact was surprised that traditional type train is still being used. He was so used to the modern type trains in the city but nevertheless he glad he can experience riding the traditional one, not to mention he be able to enjoy the fresh air of the countryside.

 

Ever since Sehun can remember he had always loves fresh air, cold wind and quite countryside. But the life at city have had everything opposite; and Sehun been longed for quiet countryside ever since he visited his late grandmother in a countryside few years ago.

 

Without realizing, Sehun feel asleep, soothed by the fresh, cold air of the countryside.

 

 


 

 

"Mmmmnnn a real fresh air. My, my, this is something I don't think we can experience everyday. Too bad your mother could not come along" Sehun's father gave a gentle glance to Sehun. Sehun nodded and murmured to himself, "Yeah too bad indeed"

 

As they walked around the train station, the wind blew non-stop. As Mr. O enjoyed the fresh, soothing breeze, Sehun sighed. "I wish I brought my kite. Couldn't really play around the city". Mr.Oh assured Sehun that they can find someone selling kites in the village.

 

Sehun gave a quick look to his surroundings. Then in a distance he noticed a man, appeared in either late 40s or early 50s with graying hair waving towards them. Sehun directed his father to that man. "Appa, I believe that's your associate"

 

Mr.Oh gave a glanced towards Sehun's pointed direction and nodded. They proceed towards the man as the man also walked towards them. As soon as they meet up they exchanged handshakes. "Thank you for coming Mr.Oh. As you can see we are really in remote area, so thank you so much for your trouble"

 

"No at Mr.Han. A business is a business". Mr Han smiled as he noticed Sehun. "Oh who is this fine young man would be?"

 

"This is my son Se Hun"

 

Sehun bowed respectably.

 

"Fine you man indeed. And he's surely tall and good-looking. I advise you to watch over him while staying here"

 

Sehun and his father exchanged looks. Mr.Han giggled. "It been quite sometimes since we have any good looking young man in our village. I'm pretty sure there will be plenty of girls will be chasing you- or maybe even kidnap you"

 

Mr.Oh burst into laughter over Mr.Han's explanation. "Oh my! Earlier you made the sounds as if somebody going to kidnap my son!"

 

"Oh indeed, the girls!"

 

The two men burst into laughter while Sehun only watch the two men laughing among themselves as he feeling completely awkward with the whole situation. The laughter slowly fade away as Mr.Han cleared his throat.

 

"I had been taking you time. My apologies. Come, we shall headed to the inn"

 

The three men slowly leaving the train station. As they slowly entering the village Sehun studied the area. He was surprised to see the village appeared completely like in the ancient era. Then he noticed several windmills on the hill nearby. Mr.Han noticed Sehun being fascinated by them.

 

"First time seeing a windmill son?"

 

Without removing his sights from the windmills Sehun replied, "Real, working ones, yes, this is the first time I saw them. The ones in the city are usually just for the decorations, and it’s not even the real thing" Sehun finally turned to Mr.Han. "These ones really working right?"

 

"Oh yes they are, but unlike the old day where we use it to make breads, nowadays we us it to generate electricity"

 

Sehun's eye widened, "Sorry?"

 

"Well you see, we are in really remote area" explained Mr.Han. "So many modern technologies couldn't get. In case you haven't realised there's not even phone connection here. So by day we use solar power, and by night the windmill will do their job to produce electricity"

 

Sehun took out his phone and like Mr.Han had explained, there is no phone connection. "Then what will happend if there's no wind? And how do you make calls? Especially to the outside area?"

 

"Hush Sehun! You shouldn't bother Mr.Han too much" interrupted Mr.Oh.

 

"No, no it's ok Mr.Oh" Mr.Han defending Sehun. "I'am more happy to see youngsters interested with our village. Most of them not even bother to know about us- ok about that" he turned his attention back to Sehun. "As you noticed son, we are in valley, and so far we never ran out wind, what I mean is wind is always around"

 

Mr.Han stopped and cleared a lump on his throat, then continued, "But let's say if there's really no wind, we do have backup generator to operate temporary"

 

Sehun could only awed in amazement. In modern days there's still some places remained very traditional. He looked at his phone and Mr.Han remembered Sehun's earlier question.

 

"Regarding the call, we often gone to a nearby town to make a call or to use the net. The town is around 20 mins from here"

 

"Wow! That' s pretty far just to use line and net"

 

"Haha indeed- which is why we always decided who we wanted to call before headed to the town. Ah, that's the inn, gentlemen"

 

Mr.Han pointed to a two storey building located at the end of the village. As the approaching the inn, Sehun noticed the elegant cravings decorating the inn, making it stand out from the rest of the village. Inside Sehun found the inn to be very cozy, and he noticed at the corner of the lobby there's a door leading outside where he noticed what appeared a hot spring outside.

 

"Yes we have hot spring here"

 

Mr.Oh chuckled, "At least you had something to do-without he net"

 

"I can manage myself appa" Sehun answered coldly, but Mr.Oh did not take offense on Sehun, but rather he laughed it off, "I keep forgetting you're a big boy now Sehun"

 

Sehun pouted. Mr.Han directed the two men to their room. Once arrived he unlocked the door and passed two keys to Mr.Oh, "One for you and one for your son. Luckily they have a spare key"

 

Mr.Oh took the keys and together with Sehun they entered. With beautiful traditional wood cravings filled the ceiling and the room corners, accompanied with several traditional-looking artifacts decorated the room, the room filled with cozy and traditional-feel. Sehun feel in love with room instantly.

 

Mr.Oh passed a key to Sehun. Mr.Han excused himself so the Oh can have a rest. On Mr.Han is away and Mr.Oh closed the door, Sehun let loose his coolness and slammed himself on the bed.

 

"Man, this bed is soft!"

 

Mr.Oh shook his head and chuckled seeing his son. "You're still a baby deep down"

 

Sehun got himself up. Fast. "No I'm not!"

 

"Oh yes you are"

"I'm not!"

"Are you sure?"

"Appa!"

 

Mr.Oh let out a laughter and sat on another bed opposite of Sehun, "Later I will have dinner with Mr.Han and his associates. Do you want to join or you want to go somewhere else?"

 

"I think I want to do my own stuffs appa. Thanks anyway"

 

Mr.Oh nooded. He then slowly lay himself on the bed. "I will take a nap"

 

"Ok appa". Sehun begin to unloaded his belongings and placed them neatly into the cupboard. As he done arranging his belongings, he can heard loud snoring came from his father. Sehun shook his head and smiled to himself.

 

Sehun felt the room had become rather hot. "I wish there's some cold wind breezing right now". Just as Sehun finished his last sentence, Sehun can feel a sudden gushed of wind passed him, and the come again, as if they were surrounding him.

 

Did it just come as soon as I wished it?

 

Sehun could not help but to think so. No air-conditioner equipped in the room to create the gush of wind and the windows were still shut tight. Then Sehun saw something outside.

 

Sehun dismissed his earlier thoughts and walked towards the balcony to peek outside. From the distance he can see the windmills. Glancing at his watch and realized the day still early, Sehun left the room and decided to head to the windmills.

 

 


 

 

The windmills stood magnificently before Sehun. Although they looked old but they in good condition which Sehun can tell they had been well-cared. Sehun went to one of them and stood still in front of the door. As he was debating with himself whether to enter or not, he heard a gentle, girl's voice from his back.

 

"And what business you have inside?"

 

Sehun looked over his shoulder. Stood behind him is a pale-looking girl with long, wavy black hair, and she wore white knee-length sleeveless dress. Sehun swore had it been in the night, he would had run away in fear.

 

But as Sehun looked longer, he realized she's rather pretty and he blushed. Sehun had always been shy around people, especially around girls. The only reason he managed to keep his cool earlier is because his father is around.

 

"No I have no business here....I was just..."

"Curious?"

"Well yeah.....how did you..."

"I'm not surprised. Most city youngster had never seen a windmill in their lives. I mean, the real deal"

"How did you..."

"I've never seen your face before. Our village is small, I remember everyone's faces"

"But still...that doesn't tell you I'm from the city. I could be from another village"

"I don't think any village people will be wearing.....something like that"

 

Sehun looked at himself from up to down. He was wearing color printed shirt with several graffiti on it, with a pair of acid-washed jeans and white-colored snickers.  Sehun's face become completely red. "They don't wear anything like this huh?"

 

"No they don't". The girl then walked towards Sehun and he become very nervous. But then she simply walked passed him and opened the door and looked at Sehun. "If you're interested to see inside, I can show you around"

 

Although baffled with the peculiar girl's behavior, Sehun accepted the girl's invitation. They walk around the ground floor as Sehun noticed there's no floor inside but the ground itself. He then found the milling processing area, the heart of the windmill. The the two slowly ascending to the upper floor when Sehun can have a close look with windmill mechanical builds closer.

 

"You really fascinated with the windmill eh?"

 

"I'm more interested with the fact that you only need the wind to operate the whole thing", Sehun corrected the girl. "It has always been the wind. It bring calmness, soothes your soul, yet also brings destruction, despair"

 

The girl seemed to impressed with Sehun, "My! That's such a word from a city person!"

 

"Well now you know not all city youngsters pampered with modern technologies. Well, sort of"

 

Sehun and the girl exchanged looks. Only then they realized they haven't introduce each other. "Oh that’s so crude of me!" The girl was clearly embarrassed with herself. "My name Bo-Mi"

 

"I'm Se Hun. Oh Se Hun"

"The pleasure is mine. Arrived today?"

"Yea"

"How long you're planning to stay?"

"A week or less, depends on my father. It's school holiday anyway"

 

They exchanged looks again. The girl grinned from ear to ear. "So will you be coming for tonight festival?". Sehun looked puzzled. "I don't recall there's any festival today"

 

"Ahaha about that Sehun-sshi" Bomi begin to explain. "As you can see, we are really far from any township so it's rather hard for us to go the town to celebrate main festivals, we had developed our very own festivals"

 

Sehun thought for a moment. "Well...that's interesting"

 

Bomi suddenly grabbed Sehun's hand and took him to the window. Sehun heartbeat beating twice faster, but Bomi did not focus on Sehun, she instead proceed to open the window and showed Sehun outside. "See those things on the fields? Those are lighting sculptures made from various materials by the children from this village, it’s a symbol of our creativity and free imagination"

 

Sehun peeped outside; below the hill at the meadows nearby the village, lies many sculptures made of various worn-out and spare-parts objects. Each of the sculptures have several light bulbs attached to it.

 

Sehun was amazed. Bomi grinned as he can sensed Sehun's interest to the festival. "While all the children will be showing off their works, we adults, or at least the grown-up ones will fly kites. That's the symbol for high hopes and freedom"

 

"That's a rather thoughtful"

 

Bomi suddenly sighed, "But it's all depends on the wind on that night. If there's no wind, there will be no electricity, I doubt the Back-up generators can generate all the sculptures, not that amount, and without the wind we will never be able to fly the kites"

 

"Winds are unpredictable, why would you people do a festival depends on them?"

 

"As if we have choice, this is what we have"

 

Then there were silence. Sehun eventually broke the silence, "I think we've been here for so long, I think I need to get back to the inn, I haven't rest since arrival"

 

Bomi looked shocked, "You haven't?? Am I holding you back? I'm so sorry! We should head back to the village"

 

"No, no, no It's not your fault Bomi-sshi" assured Sehun. As they then begin to descending, Sehun start to feel hot. He begin to fan himself with his bare hand. Bomi noticed Sehun's behavior, "Getting hotter eh?"

 

"Yea. Aren't you?"

 

"Actually I do" Bomi begin to fan herself too. "I was trying to keep cool haha"

 

"Now I wish there's some breeze or anything to drive away the heat" wished Sehun. Suddenly a gushed of rather strong wind passed them, nearly up skirt Bomi' dress. Then the wind become calmer and they can feel the  breeze inside the windmill. Bomi was amazed, "Wow Sehun-sshi! Speak of the devil! Did you did that?"

 

Sehun become flustered, "What are you saying?". Noticing Sehun flustering, Bomi corrected herself, "I'm just joking Sehun-sshi". They then continue descending, feeling much cooler.

 

 


 

 

Sehun was in deep thought. It had become more frequent lately. It seems like the wind keep coming whenever I wishing for them. Is it like Bomi-sshi just said? Did I really summon them?

 

"Sehun? Is there anything wrong?"

 

Sehun turned to his father, who is preparing himself to go to dinner. "It's nothing appa, just a bit exhausted". Mr.Oh corrected his necktie as he turned to look at Sehun, "Aren't you joining me for dinner tonight?"

 

"Ah about that appa. I'm planning to see tonight's festival"

 

"I heard about it from Mr.Han earlier. It's about the lightings and kites, am I right?"

 

Sehun nodded. Mr.Oh smiled, "Ok then, it's good to for you to get to  know the local festivals. Do share with me later" As Mr.Oh about to shut the room door, "And don't forget to grab something for a bite". He then shut the door.

 

"Yes appa....." Apparently Mr.Oh keep forgetting Sehun is a grown up already (at least to Bomi's standard), but at least he did not forbid Sehun from wandering around. Sehun glanced on the wall clock. it's nearly 8pm. He grabbed his shoes and left the room.

 

 


 

 

"The wind is rather strong tonight" Bomi turned to Sehun, grinning, "That's good news actually".  Sehun smiled. Unlike in the evening earlier, Bomi now is wearing green dress with beautiful floral patterns of blue and white, her hair is neatly braided with a green flower pin swiped left side of her hair.

 

The village appeared to be very lively, traditional lanterns decorated the village everywhere, stalls selling traditional delicacies, toys and hair accessories. But one stall caught his eyes. Kites.

 

"Wanna  grab one?" Offered Bomi. Sehun nodded and they walked towards the stall. Each kites were decoared with interesting designs; ranged from animal print, to calligraphy, there are some with children drawing. One caught Sehun's attention though; a design what appeared to be wind. Sehun bought that one, while Bomi bought a kite with a floral design, matching her floral-pattern dress.

 

Bomi then lead Sehun to the main event area. As Sehun have a closer looks to the sculptures, he was surprised that they were rather big as he saw them rather small from the windmill view earlier. "Are you telling me the kids did all these?"

 

"Amazing wasn't it?"

"Yeah"

 

Suddenly Bomi started to feel restless, "It's getting hotter don't you think?"

 

"But I thought you said the wind is rather strong earlier?". Then Sehun also begin to noted the air s getting hotter. It must be because of the lightings on the sculptures. We are very close to them anyway thought Sehun. Then suddenly the lightings begin to flickered.

 

"Oh no! We are losing the electricity!" gasped Bomi. Sehun looked around, "What should we do?". Bomi shook her head. "Nothing....really nothing. We can only pray". Sehun is not satisfied, "Surely there’s something, what about the back-up generators? I'm sure you people must have one"

 

"I told you it would not be enough to generate everything. And besides, we need them for much more important times. And besides, without the wind, we could not fly the kites"

 

Sehun looked around. He then saw the windmill. While Bomi busy attending the kids, trying to lift up their spirits, Sehun quietly left the crowd and headed to the windmill. It was rather dark and Sehun was glad he brought along his pocket torch. The light was nit that strong but it's still better than nothing. Sehun eventually arrived at the front of windmill.

 

I don't know what I'm thinking, but if what I think it's true now it is the time. Sehun closed his eyes. He clenched his fists an muttered, "Wind, I summon you to come now!"

 

Sehun stood quite sometimes in front of the windmill. Nothing happend. Sehun openeh his eyes and sighed. This is stupid. I can't believe I actually think that I can really control the wind. Then suddenly Sehun can feel a strong rush of wind passing him. Could it be?

 

Sehun raised his right hand, pointing towards the windmill. He can feel the wind changed its direction; it is now heading towards the windmill. Stronger! Stronger!

 

The wind become stronger and the windmill fan begin to move. That's it! Sehun become exited as the fan begin to spin faster. But did I really did this wondered Sehun. He decided to give a try. Sehun waved his hand around, as if summoning the wind to surround him. To his surprised, it did. The wind begin to rush by his sides, surround him as if they were creating a shield around him. Sehun raised his hand again and the wind rushed towards the direction he pointed.

 

Sehun become exited. Very excited. So it is true. Bomi-sshi is right! I can really control the wind! Sehun then looked down the hill. He can see lighting illuminating the village.

 

 


 

 

"Sehun-sshi! Where had you been? Hurry, grab your kite while the wind still blowing" hurried Bomi. Sehun only smiled as he calmly grabbed his kite. "Don't you worry Bomi-sshi, tonight will be all windy", Sehun assured her. Bomi turned, rather unconvinced, "How can you tell?"

 

"It's a city boy's instinct" chuckled Sehun. Sehun and Bomi joined the crowd and released their kites. Sehun begin to focus and the wind become stronger. Almost everyone kites fly up high in the air. Bomi was impressed, "His is the first time I see kites fly so high up in the air. Some of them could not be seen, as if they had disappeared in the night"

 

Sehun grinned, "Told ya tonight will he all windy". Bomi smiled, "I still want to think you did all this". Sehun become agitated, "Me controlling wind? I don't think that's even possible"

 

Despite saying so, Sehun knows too well that Bomi is really right. He can control the wind.

 

 


 

 

"It had been a great week Mr.Han. Thank you for your hospitality"

 

Mr.H amd Mr.Han exchanged handshakes’. "And it's been a great pleasure having business with you Mr.Oh". Mr.Han glanced over Sehun, "And I hope you have a good time in the village, son, especially we have nothing much to offer for a city youngster"

 

"I have a great time here Mr.Han, don't ou worry" assured Sehun. "And I guess I'm lucky to come at the right time. The festival is something worth remembering"

 

Mr.Han smiled, "Good to hear that. Have a safe journey you two"

 

Mr.Oh and Sehun boarded the train. As Sehun sat quietly on his seat, he stared blankly outide. Then he saw someone familiar. Bomi, waving towards him. Sehun smiled and waved back. The train then begin to move.

 

As the train leaving the station, Sehun stopped waving and stared outside blankly again.

 

"It seemed you made some friends. Not to mentioned she's quite pretty too".

 

Sehun blushed. "She's just a friend"

 

Mr.Oh laughed. Then he heard a message ringing. He grabbed his phone and read the message. "Ah we finally have a phone line, and mmmnnn it's your mother. Ahahaha she's been asking how we've been doing. And what is this? Ah she mentioned a classmate of yours, Kai? Ah ya Kai, she send some school notes"

 

Ah Kai. So he remembered those notes after all.

 

Mr.Oh replied several messages before kept it back in his pocket. He then looked at Sehun. "I've been wanting to ask you but never had the opportunity to. How is your new school? It seems you're doing well"

 

Sehun was surprised with the sudden question but calmly answered, "Everything is fine. Everyone is rather friendly, especially Kai. He don't look like one but I think he's the most friendly, not to mention, rather special..."

 

"Special?"

 

"From what I understand, he is very efficient with deliveries. His family manage this restaurant and he had been doing the deliveries. From what I been hearing, he always did fast deliveries"

 

"Ah I see. It's good to hear that"

 

Sehun laid back, and again he slide the window open and a rush of wind slammed his face. Mr.Oh could only shook his head and giggled. Sehun closed his eyes and slowly begin to fall asleep.