Episode 05: Chanyeol (Pyrokinesis)

Exo Prelude

It was nearly midnight. The park, though is only next to the township area is dark and silence. Not a single sound can be heard, nor a single light can be seen from the park. A bright silver moon shone down on the silent park.

Then a small spark of reddish fire can be seen.

The fire become bigger.

The next thing is the small portion of the park is illuminated by the red light as a figure begin to burn the rubbish inside a rusty metal trash bin. The figure held out a red colored lighter with a black phoenix tattoo design on it. He then kept it in his pocket.

Chanyeol stood silently as he watched the fire burn fiercely, and brightly in the night air.

 




"So how's everything for this coming Saturday?"

At the opposite end of the dining table, Chanyeol's parents stopped their discussion and stared at Chanyeol.

"This coming Saturday?"
"It's my birthday remember?"
"Oh"

Chanyeol continue to eat his cereal. Although he is in high school, he had never experience birthday celebration with his parents. They had always been busy with their works. Chanyeol hoped he can have a celebration with them at least once before he proceed to collage.

To be honest, it's not about celebrating birthday, it's the quality time spend with your love ones. And for once Chanyeol hope he can spend some extra time with his family, especially on a special occasion, in with his current case is his birthday.


Chanyeol's mother picked her cell phone" Don't you want to invite anyone else? Your friends? Classmates?

"No I only wanted to be only us this time"

His parents glanced at each other. Then his mother spoke in gentle tone.

"Honey...I'm sorry, but I don't think we can make it"

Chanyeol dropped his spoon.

"But you guys promised!" protested Chanyeol. This is not the first time Chanyeol heard that sentence. The sentence he hated the most. The last thing he expected to hear this time is that damming sentence.
"We know how much you been looking for this trip" his father flipped the newspaper. "But you must understand we are doing this for your own good. The deal we just received recently is the one continue to give you the life you have now".
Chanyeol gripped his hand hard as he's trying hard not to punch the table. He then noticed his parents continue their business discussion.

Chanyeol get himself up and walked away angrily, leaving behind his unfinished cereal.


 




"Do you know something?"
"What?"
"I saw Suho's birthday photos. Man! I'm so envy"
"What is it?"
"You see the trip he went with his family, and all the fun he had"
"Was it quite sometimes ago?"
"Yea but I just saw it in his notebook. He accidentally left it in the meeting room"
"Why you! Prying on the President notebook!"

The two female students began to giggle loud, with Chanyeol within the earshot. Chanyeol flared up each time he heard the girls giggled; as the conversation he heard earlier playing on his head.
Then uncalled for, Suho suddenly came in. The girls silently squeaks as Suho walked past them.

"Hyori, had you seen my notebook?"

Hyori flashed out a wide smile as she handed him a notebook. Suho's face turned red. "Don't tell me you...."
"Oh no” Hyori raised her two hands in defensive mode. “It's not me" Hyori grinned as she looked over her shoulder, towards the two girls earlier. They begin to cover their face as they begin to giggle and turned away.

"Uh-oh...."
"I believe you need to be more careful in the future. And be less forgetful"
"I'll keep that in my mind"

Suho then left the room. The girls whispering to themselves followed by some giggles along as Suho walked past them again. As Suho was about to leave the door, he  catch a glance of Chanyeol. Chanyeol stared fiercely at Suho but the latter seem to ignored him and left, though Chanyeol is sure he can sensed anxiety within Suho.

"You alright?"

Chanyeol turned. It's Hyori. Chanyeol calmed himself, but still unable to hide his emotion. "I'm fine...". Hyori sighed as she took a chair and sat next to Chanyeol. "You're a horrible liar". Chanyeol stared sharply at Hyori. He is not in a good mood for a talk. In fact, he is not in a good mood for anything right now. Chanyeol turned away in annoyance.

Hyori spoke softly. "What is it?" Chanyeol tried to ignore her as he stared blankly to the outside window view. Hyori however persisted. "It's about Suho wasn't it?"

It did catch Chanyeol's attention. He turned to Hyori furiously. "What are you talking about?"
"I think it's rather obvious. You do have, errr...this kind of expression whenever Suho is around. Or whenever his name is mentioned"
Chanyeol bite his lips. Is everybody this busybody?

Hyori seemed to be able to feel the tense. She hurried changed her topic. If only she knows a better topic should it be.

 "This coming Saturday is your birthday right? Do you have any plan of celebrating?"

Chanyeol reached his limit.

"Will you leave me alone?!"

Hyori was stunned with Chanyeol sudden burst of anger. "I'm sorry, did I said something wrong?". Chanyeol just glared at Hyori. Hyori become nervous and got herself up. "I'm sorry. I'll take my leave"
Hyori joined with the other girls as they begin to whisper to themselves and gave several glances to Chanyeol. Chanyeol noticed half of the class' attention goes to him.

But he couldn't care less. He couldn't care for anything for now.


 




Again the park is dark and quiet. Then a small footsteps an be heard. Sounds of small branches breaking and leaves crumpled can be heard. Chanyeol stood silently in front of the metal bin. He can see some rubbish, mostly made of newspapers and paper cups inside. He then added several dried leaves into it.

Chanyeol then took out his lighter in one hand and a piece of paper on the other. He thin flicked his lighter. Nothing. No fire came out. He flicked again. And again. The lucking sounds can be heard but no single fire come out. Chnayeol become more and more furious as the flickering continue.

Chanyeol thrown away his lighter in anger. Everything just go wrong today. Chanyeol yelled out of frustration.

The out of nowhere a violent fire erupted from the metal rubbish bin

–––––

Few days had passed since the incident and Chanyeol growled as he seen some unwanted faces. Those are the people he so-called friends, or at least that's what they wanted to think to themselves. Chanyeol knows too well; being the so-called "Elite Kids" in the school, so many people wanted to be close to him, and he is not amused about it. Unlike Suho. At least that what he thinks.

But there're some Elite Kids who enjoys taunting others who is not part of the cliché. Chanyeol is one of them. He is not into all this social classes games.

"Yo Chanyeol! It's been quite sometimes man!"

Too informal thought Chanyeol. He walked past them, ignoring them. "Huh? What with the attitude? Is this how you treat your friends?". The boys begin to follow Chanyeol.

Friends? You wish! Chanyeol silently growled. He is irritated. Very irritated. But the boys continue to taunt him. "Man, you surely arrogant lately". Then some of the boys begin to add the fire as well.

"Oh noes, don't tell me he is jealous of Suho"
"Oh my, are you telling me the rumors are true?"
"Oh now he only wanted to find those truly on his standard"

Chanyeol hissed in annoyance as he tried hard to ignore them. He began to walk faster. Nobody realized small flame begin merge within his right palm as he grip them hard. Then one of the boys finally went too far.

"Heh it's no surprise he was all alone on his birthday, oh? Is that what I heard"

Chanyeol snapped and gave a quick turned to his back.

"Shut your mouth!!"

In an instant a trail of fire emerge from the ground, dividing him from the boys. The boys jumped back in fear. One of them lost his footing and fell on the ground, landing on his back with a thud and a crunch.

Chanyeol stared at them emotionlessly before he turned and continue his walk, ignoring the disoriented boys. As he passed a small garden on his left side, he raised his left hand and the garden instantly on fire.


 




"I hope you're not forgetting tomorrow's dinner"
Chanyeol stopped munching his dinner steak. "I ‘am not" he muttered.

"Good". Chanyeol's father continued slurping his soup. "Because the last thing I want to happened is you went missing on tomorrow's night-like always"

"I think sometimes you should stay in the house sometimes. I think you've been partying too much" his mother voiced her concern.

Partying? Yeah right. Chanyeol recalled his nights burning the trashes in park. Staying at home sometimes? With nobody in the house most of the time? I will become insane first.

"Tomorrow night will change everything" interrupted his father. "He will have an early exposure of business life"

Chanyeol munched his dinner again as he lost in deep thoughts.


 




With grand decorations and grand lightings, the ballroom had never been grander than ever. All of the guess are also in their grand outfits, luxurious tuxedo and marvelous gowns can be seen everywhere.

As soon as Chanyeol and his family arrived at the ballroom entrance, flashes of camera snapped them as they welcoming the guests. Chanyeol forced a smile as the cameras snapping his photos.

Soon he begin to walk around and help himself with the buffet. He studied his surrounding; he can spot several youngsters like him. Some are younger kids, some may be around ha age or a bit older. Chanyeol however was not bothered to mingle with them. He took his food and headed to his table. As he turned he accidentally bumped into a tall young man. Chanyeol gazed the young man. Probably around his age as well, his dyed blond hair is neatly swiped to the left side and though he had an Asian complexion, he doesn’t' look like a Korean; he looks more like a Chinese.

The young man appeared to apologize when Chanyeol walked away. There was nothing to be apologized about thought Chanyeol. He headed to his table to join his parents and some other guests at the table.

As Chanyeol done with his inner, his father called him. He headed to his father, who is talking to a man who seems to be same age with him. Chanyeol assumed he must be the business partner his parents been talking about recently. Otherwise why would his father calling him right now?

Chanyeol can see his father gave him a warm smile as he approached him. His father patted his back as he turned to his business partner. "Mr.Wu" he begin his introduction in full English. "I would introduce you our son, Chanyeol. And Chanyeol, this Mr.Wu, our business partner from Canada"

Mr.Wu gave put his hand. "Ah so this is the son you spoken of?". Mr.Wu spoke in perfect English. "Nice meeting you son". Chanyeol and Mr.Wu exchanged handshake. Chanyeol is a bit nervous as his English is not really good.

Mr.Wu turned to Chanyeol's father again. "My son s also around yours I believe. Let me call him". Mr.Wu turned over his shoulder. "Kris! Kris! Can you come here for a moment?"

In the crowd Chanyeol can see a young man approaching them. As the young man getting closer Chanyeol reognized him as the same person he bumped into earlier.

Him?!

Kris bowed respectedly to Chanyeol's father and the to Chanyeol as well. He then let out his hand and exchanged handshakes with both of them. Chanyeol's father then begin to have English conversation with Kris, which Chanyeol found hard to digest most of them. Chanyeol's father eventually remarked Kris excellent in English, as Kris reasoned the fact he was raised in Canada.

Chanyeol flamed with jealousy with all the attention his father gave to Kris. He never felt his father gave that kind of attention to him before. Nor did his mother. They both always busy with their works. He knows this may be part of their works but he still could not hold back his anger.

Without anyone noticing, his palms is filled with fire.


 




Still in his tuxedo, Chanyeol walked into the park. He violently took off his necktie, tossed it away. It was late night and as usual the park is dark and quiet.

Chanyeol lifted his two hands. Then he begin to yell out.

Fire begin to emerge from his surroundings. Chanyeol raised his right hand. A small spark of fire begin to appeared fom the ground on his right side. He raised his right hand fast into the air. The fire on the ground shoot into air. The he gave a turned from his right side to the left. The fire obediently followed his hand movement. Everything on its way caught by the fire.

Chanyeol raised his two hands closed to each other. Then he spread them fast. The fire in his surrounding become violent.

Then it begin to spread. The next thing is the whole park is caught in the fire, with only one spot remained untouched; the spot where Chanyeol is standing. The park burning brightly in the night air.

Then a splashed of water can be heard. It become stronger and stronger. Chanyeol turned and realized half of the fire were put out. Chanyeol then saw a figure moving in the darkness. The figure raised its left hand and though Chanyeol could not see clearly, but he is sure he seen water seemed to came out from the hand. More fire were put out.

Who?!

Angrily Chanyeol thrown a fireball towards the figure. But before the fireball could reach the figure it was put out by a strong force of water. The figure moved closer and Chanyeol finally can get a glimpse of the figure's face.

It's Suho