CH. 4

Playing The Game

The school day ended, and Miyoung dreaded the final hour of her day; detention. Detention was bad enough, but now she had to endure it with the biggest in the school: Kim Jongin.

She groaned at the thought and massaged her temples. "He gives me a headache..." she grumbled to herself as she trudged to the detention hall. She kept her eyes locked on the ground, and from her peripheral vision, she saw two long legs stride next to her. She followed them up to the face of their owner, grimacing when she met eyes with Kai.

"Hey, detention buddy." he smirked.

The name irked Miyoung's nerves; she did not want to go to detention and she was not his 'buddy.' She rolled her eyes and sped up her pace. Kai just chuckled, easily keeping up with her. Miyoung stopped abruptly. "Why?" she asked.

"Why what?" Kai question, confused as he sticks his bottom lip out.

"Why are you walking with me?" she asks, glaring up at him through her lashes. "Why don't you just leave me alone?"

Kai does his famous grin and shrugs. "Does it bother you?" he leaned forward, only inches away from Miyoung's face. She could feel his minty breath on her skin, and it sent chills down her spine.

"A lot, actually." she says back, pushing his face away from hers.

He his lips with a scoff as he crosses his arms. "That's why, then."

Miyoung just eyed him for a moment. "Fine. Whatever." She waved her hand for him to continue doing whatever he was before as she begins to make her way down the hall once again.

 



She stood in front of the classroom door and sighed deeply before entering, not bothering to hold it open for Kai. "Well, that was rude." Kai mumbled as he bumped into the door.

"Wasn't supposed to be nice." Miyoung retorted back as she took a seat. She quickly took notice of the completely empty classroom, aside from her and Kai. Her brows creased as the teacher walked in and stood in front of the class. Miyoung raised her hand hesitantly. "Where's the rest of the detention students?"

"There aren't any." the teacher blandly stated before continuing her lecture on how she was disappointed and how she expected better from them and blah blah blah. She handed them stacks of work as she exited the classroom.

Miyoung sighed in frustration as she pulled the stack of paper closer to her. She saw Kai ignore the paperwork and put his head down. "Aren't you going to work?" she asked, raising a brow.

"Never have before," he said. "Why should I start now?"

Miyoung nodded. "Touché." She sighed deeply, looking at the big stack of work. 'Should I do it?' she thought, contemplating her options. "How long are we in here?" she turned to Kai. He should know, right? He seemed like he got detention often.

He sat up straight and looked at Miyoung. "'Til 7:30."

Miyoung's eyes grew wide in shock. "Mwo?!" She slumped in her chair and groaned. "This is gonna take forever."

"You whine too much." Kai made a face, still facing Miyoung.

Miyoung snapped her head toward him with a glare. "You piss me off too much."

A deep chuckle left Kai's mouth. "Touché." he mimicked.

Miyoung continued to look at him in thought. She had questions she wanted him to answer, but at the same time, she didn't want to talk to him. This was a very contradicting manner, wasn't it?

Swallowing down her frustration with Kai, she began to question him. "Who was that girl you were with?" she asked curiously.

Kai creased his brows and smirked, ruffling his hair with his hand. "Which one?"

Miyoung chuckled. "Now that's just bad," she stated. "The one yesterday, before lunch." Miyoung moved her hand to measure her height. "About this tall, long hair," she began to describe, but Kai just looked utterly confused. She sighed and blew her hair out of her face. "You left her in the hall."

"I know who you're talking about," he said as if Miyoung was stupid. "I just don't understand why it's your business."

Miyoung was taken aback by his response. "Uh..." she racked her brain for a reply. "Well, it's just that... Um." She fiddled with her fingers nervously when she couldn't think of how to respond.

Kai let out a quick laugh while shaking his head. "Well, if you must know," he began, and Miyoung perked up and listened. "She was my girlfriend." he had a hard time saying the word, 'girlfriend,' like he was disgusted by it-which he was. "I didn't like her, so I dumped her." He shrugged calmly and plopped his feet up on the desk. "Not a huge deal."

"What a move..." Miyoung mumbled as she eyed him from head to toe.

Player? Check.

"And why didn't you like her?" she continued to question.

"She annoyed me."

Cold hearted? Check.

"That's cruel." Miyoung said, bothered by his thought process. "Then why-"

"Why are you asking me all these questions?!" Kai bursted in irritation, taking his feet off the table and turning his whole body toward Miyoung. The corners of his lips curved into a smirk as he leaned toward her. "Do you like me or something?"

Miyoung's jaw dropped, appalled by his statement. Her?! Like him?! There was no way that could possible happen. Ever. She rose from her chair and crossed her arms in defense. "No!" she declared. "I never will, either!"

Kai put his hands up in defeat. "Alright, chill." He sat forward in his seat. "I would never like someone like you anyway."

"What?!" Miyoung exclaimed. Rude? Triple check. "'Someone like me?!' What's that supposed to mean?!" she shouted in defense.

He eyed her from head to toe in a judging fashion. "I mean, look at you." Miyoung looked down at her outfit. "You're a nerd." He plainly stated as he looked away.

Miyoung scoffed and sat back down, facing forward.. "And you're a player." She crossed her arms and stuck her bottom lip out.

"Thanks for noticing." Kai winked as he leaned over and tapped her on the nose. She shooed his hand away and he leaned back as he laughed.

Miyoung turned her head and looked at him in thought. Why is he like that? Frustratingly cocky. "So you admit it?"
He nodded as he smiled at her. "You're a player," she began, turning in her seat and leaning toward Kai.  "So lets play a game."

Now Kai was interested as he turned to face her. He rested his elbows on his knees, his face only inches away from Miyoung's.

She gulped before continuing. "Let's sweet talk," she began listing things off, one by one, on her fingers. "Let's play fight, let's talk 24/7, let's walk together everyday," she continued. Kai remained interested in what she had to say, and she smiled. "Let's go on dates, talk on the phone all night long, kiss, hug and just hold each other." Kai nodded his head as she continued. "And who ever falls first, loses."

"That's it?" he asked, his face now unreadable.

"That's it," she confirmed. "So what do you say?" She held out her hand. "Is it a bet?"

Kai thought for a moment, staring at her hand before taking it. "It's a bet." They shook on it. It was official now. Kai smirked as he pulled his hand away, leaning back in his chair and resting his head in his hands. "You're so gonna lose."