CH. 3

Playing The Game

Miyoung sat up straight as her alarm blared loudly in her ear. She slamed the snooze button as she trudged out of bed, preparing for her day at school. She brushed her teeth, did her hair-it was just straight- and put on her uniform, her everyday routine, before leaving for the bus stop.

Today actually started out differently for Miyoung. Once she walked into her first hour class, she was greeted by Baekhyun-he smiled brightly and waved as he said, "Hi, Miyoung~!

She looked at him, wide eyed and confused. He never said hi to her this hour, it was always the hour after lunch. Either way, though, he sure seemed happy and in a good mood. She put a smile on her face as she waved back. "Hi Baekhyun!" She looked beside him at his normally quiet friend, Oh Sehun. He looked tired, his eyelids droopy and almost closed and his shoulders slumped. "Good morning Sehun~" Miyoung beamed.

Sehun opened his eyes and smiled back. "Good morning." he said tiredly, his head falling onto his desk right afterwards in exhaustion. Miyoung chuckled as she walked to her assigned seat a few seats away from Baekhyun.

She began to take out her utensils for the class period, but stopped when she saw a familiar face walk through the classroom doors and greet his friends. Miyoung scowled at Kai and looked down at her notebook.

Kai his lips as he walked towards Miyoung's desk. She just hoped he wouldn't sit with her-her desk partner was out for the whole week, so he would've mistaken the seat as empty- but was relieved when he sat in the empty desk across the isle from her. But at the same time, she cringed because be was still sitting so close to her.

Kai watched her and laughed to himself. 'She sure hates me, huh?' he thought, looking up at the board when the teacher walked in. Miyoung couldn't help but wonder why Kai was sitting there, anyway. She sat in the 2nd row closest to the front, and he seems like the type to sit in the back and sleep the whole time, like Sehun. Him and Baekhyun both sit in the last row, 2 rows behind Miyoung. Baekhyun pays attention in class and takes notes while Sehun sleeps. After class, Baekhyun gives Sehun his notes and he copies them; that's how he passes the class.

Miyoung was completely aware of her surroundings as Kai tapped his pencil impatiently, occasionally sneaking a quick glimpse in her direction, and Miyoung turned pink every time. Kai saw it, too. Every time he looked away, he had this irritating, cocky smile on his 'stupid cocky face,' as Miyoung called it.

The bell finally rang and Miyoung hurriedly pack her bag, thinking that maybe if she hurried to class, Kai wouldn't be there-despite the fact that he was now in every single one of her classes.

Miyoung took her seat next to the window and watched as Kai walked in, running a hand through his hair as he looked around the class. Girls swooned at his handsome gesture. Fortunately, Miyoung's desk partner for this period was here today, so Kai couldn't sit beside her and annoy her with his presence alone.

But, just as Miyoung sighed in relief and was about to do a happy dance, he took the seat right behind her. Her eyes grew wide with shock as she turned around to look at him.

"What?" he said, shrugging cooly.

Miyoung couldn't find words to say, so she just shook her head and turned back around, groaning as she put her head down on her desk. 'Why does he have to sit there?' she thought in frustration. To her, these past 2 hours of school felt like 2 years.

Again, Kai just watched her, completely enveloped in her actions. 'She's... Interesting.' He thought with a small chuckle.

Class began and Miyoung slowly picked up her head as she opened her text book to the appropriate page. She heard someone call her name, and she turned back to see where it was coming from. Her eyes stopped on him. "What page is it?" Chanyeol asked her.

A lumped formed in as she turned back around, looking at her text book. "156." she whispered, turning back around to make sure he got the right page.

When he did, he smiled at her and said, "Thanks." She nodded with a half smile on her lips as she caught a glimpse of Kai sitting behind her and cleared , turning back around in her seat.

Kai smirked devilishly as he leaned forward in his desk and whispered, "Where are your glasses?" to Miyoung.

Her eyebrows creased in anger. "You stepped on them, remember, Bigfoot?" she snapped back.

Kai chuckled. "'Bigfoot?' That's the best you got?" he challenged. Miyoung's jaw dropped in offense as she racked her brain for another insult, failing to find one. Kai tilted his head to the side a little bit as he sat back in his chair, relaxed. "Figures, coming from a nerd and all."

Miyoung snapped. She turned around and said, "Yah, at least I don't the entire school." It came out a little bit too loudly, louder than she had meant it to. She immediately covered after saying it-she didn't know where that came from. Kai's eyes were wide in shock at her outburst. He didn't expect that at all, and to be honest, neither did Miyoung.

The class fell quiet, dangerously quiet, as the teacher called for Kai and Miyoung's attention. "Jung Miyoung! Kim Jongin!" Miyoung flinched. heart racing, at the sound of her name coming out of the teachers mouth-she's never gotten in trouble before, ever. "I do not appreciate that kind of language in my classroom," she pointed at Miyoung. "Or your talking!" she pointed at Kai.

"Sorry, Sunsaengnim." Miyoung bowed in her seat, eyes glued to the floor. Kai remained silent-he was used to this lecture from all of his teachers.

"Detention. Both of you." she said harshly. "See you after school."

Miyoung turned back to look at Kai and glared daggers into his head. 'Stupid Kim Jongin.'

Kai smirked and shook his head, mouthing, "Live a little." before resting his head on his desk. Miyoung rolled her eyes and turned back to the board.

Baekhyun stared in awe at Miyoung-she's never gotten in trouble, nor has she ever had an outburst like that. Part of him was proud of Miyoung for speaking up, but the other part remained shocked. Why did Kai get her in trouble, anyway? Baekhyun couldn't help wonder, because he could tell by the look on Kai's face that he did it on purpose. Kai didn't expect such an outburst from such a quiet girl, but he meant to get her in trouble. Why, though? Baekhyun lips formed a hard line as he thought.

"Byun Baekhyun," the teacher called his name, snapping him out of his thoughts. He shook his head clear as he looked up at the teacher. "Pay attention," she said. Baekhyun nodded and cleared his head completely of his previous thoughts.