Prologue

Playing The Game

HIM:
"Yah," he said, calling for his girlfriend, girlfriend for the time being anyway, Bae Ana's attention. She turned back in her seat, looking at him with a smile. "Talk to me after class. I need to tell you something." She nodded and turned back around. Jongin saw her excitement-it was as plain as the nose on one's face- and rolled his eyes. Her actions were starting to annoy him. It had only been 2 weeks since they got together and he wasn't even sure why he agreed to date her; he didn't like her. Granted, he found her attractive, but didn't like her. She had only liked him.

After class one day, she had approached him shyly- yes, she was one who wore pounds of makeup in order to impress him- with a box of candy, asking if he would date her. He eyed her for a minute or so, thinking that she would be fun to mess around with since it was obvious that she'd fallen for him, before giving her his answer of, "Yeah, sure. Whatever." as he pushed the box of candy she was still holding out away from him. She smiled widely, too excited to notice his rude gesture.

The bell rang, indicating that it was time for lunch. Jongin stood from his seat and stretched widely, groaning in the process. "This class is too long." he complained to himself as he grabbed his stuff. He had barely even taken one step out the door before Ana was hanging on him.

"Oppa," she said in her aegyo voice. Her arm was intertwined with his, her head resting on his shoulder. Da-doong. Da-doong. She started to panic that he would be able to hear how loudly her heart was beating. "What did you need to tell me?"

He looked down at her and made an ugly, disgusted face. "We should end it here."

Her eyes flew open and her arm fell to her sides, stopping in her tracks. "Oppa," was all she could manage to say. Her heart sank to her stomach; she was hoping that he'd turn around, smiling at her as he held his hand out saying, "Jagiya~ Aren't you coming?" but all he did was turn around the corner, continuing his tracks toward the cafe. Her eyes began to swell with tears, so she blinked them away, running down the hall and turning the corner that she had seen him turn, but... He was gone.

Poor Bae Ana. She was just another one of his toys.


HER:
She pushed her glasses up the bridge of her nose, listening carefully to the lecture the teacher was giving. Pushing a brown lock of hair behind her ear, she started taking notes. People behind her were whispering, saying things like, "She's such a teachers pet," and "I bet she'd be pretty if she didn't wear those glasses."

She knew that they were talking about her, but she didn't care. She knew she was a goody-two-shoes, but oh well. She liked school, learning, reading, all that stuff.

However, she also knew that it got in the way of things. She's innocent, I guess you could say. Never had a boyfriend, never had her first kiss, never anything. When she was still in middle school she had someone she liked very much, but he didn't like her back. That was the only boy she's ever liked.

He was in her class, they sat near each other actually, and it pained her to look at him everyday. He sat in front of her, occasionally turning around to talk to her. It's not like they weren't friends, they were really close. It didn't hurt her because he was a douche, it hurt because he was so sweet. He was always there for her, whether she was feeling upset or happy. Needless to say, she fell in love with their friendship, and his looks were just a bonus.

The bell rang. Jung Miyoung stood from her seat and hurriedly packed her stuff. As she turned to make her way out, another body knocked her back, sending her to the floor. Or, at least, it almost did. Around her waist was an arm, an arm she knew too well; the way she could just melt into their warmth and comfort had always sent her heart racing and her hands shaking. This time was no different. She looked up, only to meet eyes with him, his brown orbs locked with with hers as his lips formed a bright smile. "Miyoung-ah," the way his deep voice said her name made the butterflies start flapping around in her stomach and her breath start to hitch. Her heart fluttered and broke at the same time. "You should be more careful."

Miyoung smiled back, half warm and natural, the other half forced. "Okay." She pushed her glasses onto her face once again before wiggling her way out of his hold. "I'll be going." she squeaked, a lump forming in , before turning to make her way to the cafe. The lump started to take over, but she swallowed it back.

He was Park Chanyeol, her best friend. She loved him, more than a friend, and tried her hardest to forget her feelings towards him. Once, she approached him on Valentine's day, a rose hidden behind her back, eyes on the ground; she was going to ask him to be her Valentine and confess her feelings.

Outside, across the courtyard, she could see him standing there, waiting... For her. He was waiting to go to lunch together. Smiling to herself, she sighed deeply before slowly taking a step forward. But, before she could take a second step, he turned and was facing another girl. Miyoung's eyes widened as she dove behind a pillar and watched from afar. The other girl was tapping the ground with her toe, as if shy or nervous, as he smiled at her. Even though she was so far away, Miyoung's could see what the girl had planned; she was holding a single rose behind her back.

Miyoung's breath was taken aback when the girl handed him the rose, and she could do nothing but watch as he accepted, hugging her tightly. Ever since then, she's distanced herself away from him in order to avoid any further pain. The only time it hurt her was when she saw him, any other time she was completely fine.

Down the hall, Miyoung's attention focused on a couple walking in her direction. He wasn't super tall, his hair no longer than his to his ears. She was about Miyoung's height with long, sleek hair. The girl had her arm intertwined with his.

Miyoung smiled, 'What a cute couple,' she thought. But her smiling face became shocked as the guy continued to walk toward her while the girl froze where she was at. The guy passed by her, making brief eye contact with Miyoung, but kept walking around the corner.

The girl, she just... Stood there, pain taking over every feature of her face, which is saying something if Miyoung could see that considering how far she was from her.

Suddenly, the girl ran down the hall passed Miyoung and around the corner in which the guy had went, but just froze once again. Miyoung just watched, appalled.