CH. 2

Playing The Game

Lunch ended and Miyoung walked to her class. As she entered, a familiar face looked up and beamed in her direction. "Hey, Miyoung." he waved.

Miyoung smiled brightly and waved back. "Hi, Baekhyun." Byun Baekhyun was another one of the nice people. He was nice to everyone, and he always smiled.

When the school year started a few months ago, Baekhyun was the first person to greet her. Ever since then, it's like their daily routine, Baekhyun greets her and she greets him as she takes her seat.

The same thing happened today-they said hi to one another and she took her seat. The bell rang and the teacher began her lecture for the day. Miyoung did what she did best-take notes.

"Miyoung!" she heard someone whisper her name. She sat up straight and looked around the room. "Do you have an extra pencil?" Miyoung's eyes stopped on Baekhyun, who was looking at her. She nodded and started digging in her backpack for a pencil, tossing it to him as he smiled at her. "Thank you." he mouthed.

The classroom door swung wide open suddenly, making Miyoung jump. She stared in awe as the good looking guy entered the room, a smirk on his face. The teacher turned away from the black board to look at the student. "Can I help you, Kim Jongin?"

He handed her a slip and stood there waiting, scanning over the class and stopping at Baekhyun. His smirk grew as he walked over to him. "Hey man." They  exchanged a high five and slapped each others back as they laughed cooly. "Kai!" Baekhyun beamed.

The longer Miyoung looked at the guy, the more she recognized him. Her eyes grew wide in realization. 'He-he's... That...' she thought. 'Baekhyun knows him?!'

"Kim Jongin," the teacher said in a cold tone-she looked less than happy he was here. "Take a seat and stop disrupting my class."

Miyoung's eyes grew even wider-if possible- as the new guy looked for an empty seat. She eyed the empty seat beside her carefully, pushing her backpack off the table and onto the seat. She looked down at her notebook and hoped for the best.

Kai saw Miyoung's moved and scoffed. He took 3 long strides to her desk and stopped beside her. "May I sit here?" Before she could answer, Kai slipped behind Miyoung's chair and moved her backpack. He sat down and relaxed in his chair.

Miyoung's worried eyes shot up to the teacher, hoping she would move him to another seat. As soon as Miyoung's eyes met the teachers, the teacher looked away, as if trying to avoid her.

Miyoung groaned and rested her head in her hands. 'Why me?' she thought. She didn't want to be around him for some reason. After seeing him with that girl in the hallway, she knew he was bad news. Plus, he just looked like a complete and total .

"What's wrong?" he asked, the same smirk never leaving his face. "You don't want to be by me?"

Miyoung looked up from her hands. "Is it obvious?" she said sarcastically.

He chuckled, looking forward toward the front. "Just a little."

----

The bell didn't ring soon enough. Miyoung hurriedly packed her stuff and stood up, hitting her hip on the corner of the desk. "Ow!" she yelped as her glasses fell off her face and landed on the floor.

She heard a feint crack as she look on the floor. She snapped her head up in shock as she squinted her eyes to focus on the figure in front of her.

"Oops," she heard Kai's voice.

She gasped. "Yah! Kim Jongin!" Kai shrugged and left the classroom. 'What the- Ugh!!!' she picked up her broken glasses, careful not to cut herself on the glass as she tossed them in the trash on the way out the door


 


Luckily, the rest of the day passed by rather quickly. Miyoung suppressed her frustration towards Kai and his cocky self.

She caught a glimpse of Soonji leaving her classroom and walking to the front door of the school building. Miyoung sighed as she caught up to her, jumping on her shoulders. "Eonni!" she beamed. Soonji looked at Miyoung and smiled. "What are you doing right now?"

Soonji thought for a moment before shrugging. "I don't know." she said with a sigh. "There's not much to do. It's Wednesday."

Miyoung nodded in understanding. It's the middle of the week, what is there to do? "Come over then!" she grabbed Soonji's arm and shook it. "Please!"

Soonji chuckled. "Fine. But buy me food." she demanded.

Miyoung raised a brow at her. "Who do you think I am?" she blurted.

"A loving dongsaeng who doesn't want her eonni to starve." Soonji smiled convincingly. "Please, Miyoung-ah!" she pleaded. "I'm hungry~!"

Miyoung eyed her for a moment in thought. "Fine." she caved in. Her and Soonji laughed as they were almost to the door. Someone bumped into Miyoung, causing her to stumble forward and run into the pole dividing the two doors. "Ow." she whined as she rubbed her forehead. "Watch where you're going!" she snapped as she turned around, facing a tall figure. She looked up, only to meet eyes with the person she probably hated most in the world, even after a day.

He shrugged nonchalantly. "Oops." With that, he continued walking, as if nothing had happened.

Miyoung scoffed in disgust. "I'm gonna show you 'oops', you little..." she mumbled as she followed Kai out, shaking her fist at him. Soonji wrapped her arms around Miyoung in order to stop her. She sighed in frustration. "He's such a... A..." Miyoung tried thinking of the right word to call him.

Soonji looked ahead in his direction, squinting her eyes to focus. She pointed at him. "That's the guy at lunch!" She turned to Miyoung wide-eyed, but then furrowed her brows as her arm lowered back down to her side. "Where are your glasses?"

Miyoung blew her hair out if her face as she glared in Kai's direction. "Him."

Shock took over Soonji's face as she looked at Kai in the distance. "What happened?!"

"He stepped on them with his fat foot," Miyoung explained, still glaring in his direction. She quickly snapped out if it as a thought crossed her mind. "Who is he, anyway?" She creased her brows.

"Kim Jongin," she began. "3rd year, class 2-"

"5." Miyoung corrected as she kept her eyes forward

"Huh?" Soonji eyed her confusedly.

"That switched classes," she said. "How did he switch classes this far into the year anyway?!" Miyoung exclaimed, throwing her arms in the air dramatically, looking down at the ground after.

Soonji chuckled at her younger and shook her head. "Anyway, he's a total player." Miyoung's head snapped up; now she was interested. "I heard he's been with over 20 girls this year," Soonji grabbed Miyoung's arm and pulled her close to look her in the eye and emphasize what she was saying. "We're only a few months into the year!" she exclaimed, sighing afterwards. "He's a , as you said."

Miyoung's eyes remained wide in interest. "W-what did he do?"

"He's a player, he's rude, he's a jerk, everything." She counted on her fingers; she described him with such harsh words, and Miyoung couldn't help but wonder why he was like that. "He's really cold hearted, too. Rumor has it, he's never smiled in his life, like truly, genuinely smiled."

Soonji stopped walking suddenly, and when Miyoung looked up, she realized they were standing in front of her house. The walk seemed so short, and Miyoung realized they had just spent the whole walk talking about that one guy. Miyoung shook her head clear and entered the gate to her front lawn. "Is that so?" she huffed as she cocked her head to the side. She unlocked her front door and entered. Miyoung decided not to talk about him anymore-she had to sit with the guy in class, she might as well learn to tolerate him.

The rest of the afternoon passed by quickly, Miyoung and Soonji just relaxed and gossiped most of the time. After Soonji left, Miyoung greeted her parents and ate dinner, showering and going to bed soon after. She honestly didn't know why, but she was dreading going to school the next morning. Most likely because of Kai-she just knew he was trouble, based on what she heard and saw.