Nine

If You Were Not A Dream

“Ae Ra, dinner.” Jiyong said with a disapproving voice, arms folding while looking at Ae Ra with a judging eyes.

Ae Ra ignored him, or maybe she didn’t hear him for real. She was too immersed in whatever laying in front of her eyes, flipping this page and reading that page carefully word by word.

“Yah, Shin Ae Ra!” Jiyong yelled, making Ae Ra jumped a little bit.

“Yah! You scared me!” Ae Ra looked up, scowled. “One more minute.” She bargained, eyes already landed back onto the document she was reading.

“You said that 20 minutes ago!” Jiyong said accusingly. “Now close that damn paper and get something to eat. I am so disapproving of your tendency of skipping meals these days.”

“Alright alright.” Ae Ra nodded with a laugh. “I have to send this email though.” She opened her laptop and started typing rapidly. “5 more minutes ok. Then I’ll go to eat whatever you suggest, promise.” She winked at him.

“No, don’t use that cute gesture with me. I’m immune to that. Now stand up.” Jiyong covered his eyes by his palms. He really didn’t like it when he saw her winked, because, she looked very cute when she did that.

Ae Ra just laughed. Just then her phone rang. Ae Ra frowned when it’s a strange number.

“Hello?” Ae Ra picked up the call while setting it on speaker mode, her fingers were still typing fast on the laptop.

“Ae Ra?” A woman greeted her on the other line.

“Yes? Who is that?”

“It’s Jiyong’s mom.”

Ae Ra gasped. “Oma!” She glanced to Jiyong and saw him looking at her in surprise too. “How did you know my number?”

“I asked Daesung.” Mrs. Kwon said with a warm voice. “Dear, do you have time tonight?”

“Yeah, I do oma.” She smiled. “I am about to finish work anyway.”

“Good. Can you come and have dinner with us?”

Ae Ra was taken aback by this invitation. Sure, they talked quite a lot, but Ae Ra always felt somehow uncomfortable with Jiyong’s mom, or anyone close to him, simply because she thought she was here while he was still unconscious was a guilty thing. And even though she was flustered everytime she got to call his mom as “mom”, she felt like she was too greedy to accept Jiyong’s warm and loving affection.

Ae Ra glanced at Jiyong, and saw that he was grinning at her.

“Ae Ra?” Mrs. Kwon asked again.

“Yes I’m here mom.” Ae Ra quickly replied. “Are you sure?”

Mrs. Kwon laughed. “What kind of that question? This girl, seriously.” She chuckled. Ae Ra saw that Jiyong was rolling his eyes at her too. “What is Jiyong saying about this? Jiyongie, you don’t oppose right?”

“What? No of course I don’t. I'm not that mean!” Jiyong glared at Ae Ra. “Yah, look at what you’ve done.”

“He’s whining.” Ae Ra laughed. “Saying that I made him look bad.” She heard Mrs. Kwon chuckled at the other line. “Thank you mom.  I’ll be there for dinner.”

“Good. Ask Jiyong for our house. Do you have any special request? What do you like?” Mrs. Kwon asked sincerely.

“Everything you cooked is the best, Jiyong said so. I adore food, just you cook for me is enough mom.” Ae Ra stood up and closed her laptop, ready to leave her office. She winked at Jiyong.

Ae Ra ended the call and waved off her secretary. “Mi Jin, go home. I’ll have dinner and go home too. Thanks for your hard work today.” She said with a smile before entering the elevator.

“Liar.” Jiyong said once they were alone inside her car.

“What?” Ae Ra chucked, ignored Jiyong’s annoying voice. She fastened her seatbelt and started the engine. “Where to now?”

“You don’t adore food, you ignore it.” Jiyong said accusingly. He went on telling her his house’s direction. “As a food lover, you embarrassed me.”

Ae Ra just laughed heartedly. She listened to his rant about her lacking of eating amusingly while slowly drove off to the Kwon’s house.

____

Jiyong’s house, no, the Kwon’s, was a cozy and lovely house just by the look from outside. Stepping out of her car, Ae Ra could not help but feeling....nervous, also reassuring with the house.

“It feels so good to be home.” Jiyong sighed. “You know, i used to be away from home a lot in my early years as a celebrity, but now I always tried to come home whenever I could.” He said to her while looking at the big gate keeping his house in safety. “Press that button.” He gestured with his index finger.

“Ae Ra?” Jiyong’s mom answered the bell.

“Yes mom.” Ae Ra smiled. “I’m here.”

The gate clicked opened, revealed a well-design garden with a large mansion inside. Ae Ra gulped quietly before stepping inside.

“Thank God there is no saseng fan waiting outside today.” Jiyong mumbled.

“You mean crazy fans?” Ae Ra took notice at a small dog house at the left corner, there was “Gaho’s palace” on it. “This is for your pup?” She pointed to the little house.

“Yes.” Jiyong chuckled. “And yes. I miss that dulling kid. He is at my penthouse now though.” He cast a longing look to Gaho’s house.

Mrs. Kwon welcomed Ae Ra with a bearing hug and quickly dragged her into the house. “Come here, why do you look thinner than last week?” Mrs. Kwon said disapprovingly.

“See? And you dared to call yourself as food adorer.” Jiyong said in a sarcastic tone.

“I’m too busy this week.” Ae Ra said sheepishly to Mrs. Kwon, totally ignored Jiyong. “Guess I skipped meals quite a bit.”

“I take it it’s really Jiyong’s with you.” Mrs. Kwon said in a small, led Ae Ra straight to the kitchen. “Unless you’re a sasang fan.”

Ae Ra came into view with the table with fully Jiyong’s family there: his father, his sister and her husband and his nephew. She was shocked and rooted her legs on the floor, refused to go further.

“H-h-hello.” She bowed and said in a quivering voice. “I’m sorry, I didn’t know....”

“Yah what is wrong with you?” Jiyong laughed. “Oh I miss them so much.” He sighed, came closer to his father and hugged him, then went on pinching his nephew’s cheeks. “You grew up a lot, kid. Uncle misses you.”

“What are you saying dear?” Jiyong’s mom laughed while ushered Ae Ra to sit at the chair opposite to Jiyong’s sister. “We invited you. Don’t be so shy.”

“Yes, relax.” Jiyong’s father said in a calm voice. “We do nothing to you, don’t worry.” He offered a small voice.

“Mom invited you, so you’re our friend too.” Jiyong’s brother-in-law extended his hand. “I’m Jiyong’s sister’s husband.”

Ae Ra awkwardly took his hand. “Thank you. I’m Shin Ae Ra.”

But Dami - Jiyong’s sister cast her an annoying look. “Mom, so this is why you called us to come and have dinner?” She said in a cold voice, ignored Ae Ra completely. “We’re busy. We don’t have time to strangers.”

“Don’t be mean.” Mrs. Kwon sat down on her chair, dismissed Dami with a warm smile. “The kid has to eat alone everyday so it would be nice to have someone to eat with her, don’t you think?” She smiled at Ae Ra. “Let’s eat, shall we?”

The meal went on mostly in silence, ad Ae Ra tried hard not to act awkwardly while inside she felt so. Jiyong cast her an apologetic look for his sister’s coldness, but Ae Ra just smiled reassuringly.

“This soup is very delicious, Mrs. Kwon.” She said in a small voice to Mrs. Kwon. It’s been awhile since she had something tasted this....warm.

“It’s Jiyongie’s favorite.” Mrs. Kwon said meaningfully. “I always cook this for him when he got home.”

“What are you doing these days, Ae Ra-ssi?” Jiyong’s father asked her.

“I’m working on my business, sir.” Ae Ra quickly put her chopsticks down and replied in a polite voice.

“Oh really? What is that?”

“It’s....it’s something my parents wanna do, so I’m trying to make their wish come true.” Ae Ra tentatively explained. “I’m working on building an accessories brand in Korea, mostly for bags and shoes for woman.”

“Oh...I see.” He nodded thoughtfully. “Where are your parents though?”

“They passed away a few years ago.” Ae Ra smiled sadly.

“Oh I’m sorry.” Mr. Kwon said apologetically. “You must be lonely.”

“I have a sister though, but she’s all over the world now.” Ae Ra chuckled. “I will retrieve her when we need her. Right now I want her to have a free time to explore the world.”

“Noona, are you Uncle’s girlfriend?” Hyun Joon - Jiyong’s nephew suddenly spoke up suddenly out of nowhere.

Ae Ra snapped her head at the kid, shock was written all over her face, while Dami choke on what she was drinking. Mrs. Kwon laughed, while Ae Ra saw Jiyong narrowed his eyes at the kid.

“What? No no no.” Ae Ra immediately denied. “No, I’m just....I’m....” Ae Ra stucked, didn’t know what to introduce herself.

“She’s uncle’s friend, Hyun Joon.” Mrs. Kwon still chuckled.

“Uncle said to me before, if he ever found his girl, he would take her home to have dinner with us.” Hyun Joon said in his childish voice.

“But uncle isn’t here, right?” Dami reasoned to her son. “So drop that funny idea of yours. And eat up your meal, Joon!” She scolded.

Embarrassed by both Hyun Joon and Dami, Ae Ra went back eating and finished soon after that.

Ae Ra tried to do the dishes after the dinner was over, but Mrs. Kwon dragged her away and refuse to let her do anything. “You don’t wanna be left alone with Dami, trust me.” Mrs. Kwon whispered in her ears, and Ae Ra nodded in awkward.

“Do you wanna visit Jiyong’s room?” Mrs. Kwon suggested.

“What? No no it’s...too much.” Ae Ra eyed Jiyong warily. “I don’t wanna invade his privacy. He can go by himself.” Ae Ra whispered to Jiyong enough for his mom to hear. “You go. I’ll wait here.”

“Come with me.” jiyong said with a smile and motioned for her to follow him.

“Just go.” Mrs. Kwon pushed her forward. “In case he wanna see something in the locker or something.”

“Mom always right.” Jiyong grinned. “Let’s go.”

________

Ae Ra stepped in a dark yet warm room. to Jiyong’s instruction, she switched on the light, a neat and bright room appeared in front of her. It’s something much similar to her apartment, and this surprised Ae Ra. Neat, clean yet cozy and warm.

“Lemme guess what you’re thinking.” Jiyong said in an amusing voice. “Looks familiar?”

“Yeah....” She went on peeking her eyes to this and that corner. “Much alike my apartment? Who designed this room?”

“Me. You?”

“Yeah, me too.” Ae Ra chuckled. “I thought only me likes to be simple and dull like that.”

“What?” Jiyong was taken aback.

“You know, my house in London is somewhat like that too, and people accused me of being dull and simple.” She shrugged. “I see nothing wrong with it though. I love it.”

“Let’s visit my room in BIGBANG dorm someday, you will see the difference.” Jiyong winked. “Now....I miss this place too.” Jiyong pouted. “I spent many time in here before, whenever I was in a scandal.” He chuckled. “This place gives me calmness.”

In one of those many times they talked out of boredom, Jiyong told Ae Ra about his scandals. Ae Ra herself knew a few already, but she didn’t know about the one. It seemed Jiyong was really really upset and depressed at that time. He told her how lesser his friends were, how reclusive he became nowadays and how he lost faith in people he once trusted with all his heart.

There were many pictures here. Pictures of Jiyong in his childhood day, pictures of his family, pictures of BIGBANG, and pictures of he and Youngbae.

“You and Youngbae are very close I guess?” Ae Ra smiled picking up a frame. “When is this?”

Jiyong smiled too. “I see him more than just a friend and fellow member. He’s my brother.” Jiyong came to closer. “All my members are my brothers now, but Youngbae is always a bit...special to the others. We knew each other since 12 you know.”

“Oh really? Tell me about it.” Ae Ra sat down on one of the sofa in the room.

“I came to YG - our company - after him. One day, a senior hyung introduced us together. We went out eating topokki and gradually became friends since then.” Jiyong chuckled. “If we didn’t have BIGBANG, maybe we’re a duo now. We’re still having that thought you know, a duo just the two of us, GDYB. That picture is from 2003 I think, when we’re in the studio for the first time.”

“Cool.” Ae Ra smiled, putting back the picture. “One day I would love to hear how you guys became brothers. I mean you and your members.”

Jiyong hadn’t replied that saying, there was a knock on the door. Startled, Ae Ra stood up abruptly, right in time Dami appeared.

Ae Ra quickly bowed. She shyly said, “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to....I’ll leave now.” She hurriedly got out of the room but Dami called her back.

“Wait, Ae Ra-ssi.” Dami hold her back. “Can we talk?”

“Errr yes.” Ae Ra hesitantly turned back. She saw Jiyong already narrowed his eyes and crossed his arms.

“Look, I’m sorry for my behaviour just now.” Dami sighed. “I should have been more well-manner.”

“It’s ok, I understand, Dami-ssi.” Ae Ra quickly said.

“It’s just... I miss Jiyongie so much.” Dami said in a defeating tone, looking at the room sadly. “And I don’t know why but looking at you reminds me of my brother. And seeing you....” She trailed off.

Jiyong wore an unreadable expression on his face. His face half smiling, yet half upset.

“I’m sorry.” Ae Ra said. “I should not appear in front of his family too frequent.”

“What?” Jiyong scolded. “You’re at it again, saying silly things.”

“I don’t know. I just wanna say I’m really sorry for what happened just now.” Dami tried to break an awkward smile. “I’ll try to control myself.” She patted Ae Ra’s shoulders. “Oh and....” Dami gave Ae Ra what she was holding in her hands all the time but Ae Ra didn’t get to notice. “Wear this for tonight. It’s getting late, you should stay the night.” She gave her a pyjama.

“What? No!” Ae Ra panicked. “I cannot stay here.”

“I heard you “What?No!” 3 times today.” Jiyong mumbled.

“Why not?” Daemi questioned confusedly.

“It’s just.....this is awkward.” Ae Ra said honestly.

“Well I know, but, what should be done right is still has to be done right. It’s nearly midnight, very unsafe to drive at this hour. Mom won’t allow that. It’s a long day, you must be tired.”

“Yes, just rest here dear.” Mrs. Kwon appeared at the door. I won’t allow any kid to drive at this hour anymore, and you look very tired. Just a sleep, and after tomorrow’s breakfast, you can come home.” She insisted the word “breakfast”.

“Tell mom I will sleep beside her tonight.” Jiyong said with a wide smile.

Dami left the room, and right before Mrs. Kwon also did the same, Ae Ra told what Jiyong said to her. She smiled, nodded and indicated for Ae Ra to go to sleep.

“Good, no late night work today.” Jiyong said satisfyingly. “Bathroom is over there, feel free at home. I’ll go visit mom & dad now.”

Ae Ra sighed. Her body was indeed very tired, her mind was exhausted. Stopped struggling with rational thoughts, Ae Ra quickly changed and slipped in the pyjama Dami gave her. She enjoyed the comfy bed of Jiyong and quickly fell into a deep sleep.

When Jiyong returned to his room later, a smile appeared on his face when he saw how deeply Ae Ra was sleeping. It’s been a long day, she must be tired.

“Sleep well, Ae Ra.” He looked at her again before leaving the room and came to his mom’s side as promised.

_________

A/N: 

You know, I wrote another chapter 9 with similar length last week, but when i re-read, i felt unsatisfied, so I just set that chapter aside and wrote a new one - this one - instead. So that is why it took me nearly 2 weeks for another update O___O OMG I'M SORRY

i'm trying to piece the story together, hope you guys enjoy this chapter :)

And THANK YOU VERY MUCH, i mean it, VERY VERY MUCH for those long and thoughtful comments /sobs I am so touched /sobs harder. Reading them gave me motivation and elaboration on how readers feel about my story. Thank you thank you so much <3

Please give me more comments, so that I can know what you guys think about it, if i need to adjust or change anything 

thank you so so much for your support. i have many ideas for this story /winks i'll try to make the best of them :)