Epilogue: Ad Infinitum

Ad Infinitum
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It was an ordinary day but I was feeling rather melancholic. I sat alone drinking my milk tea.  I smiled to myself thinking how far I came into believing that I have gotten over everything.

 

I touched the bracelet on my wrist.
 

Ad infinitum. Having no end. Forevermore.

 

He must have casted a spell on me.

 

To infinity.

 

I shook my head, denying those memories flooding in. They don’t belong to my present anymore.

 

But then again my past exploits could still bring that joy and tears in my heart.

 

I was so silly back then.

 

How I tortured him.

 

He must have thought how crazy I became.

 

I sighed and reminded myself that all those thoughts could only lead me into thinking about that night.

 

The most painful night of my life.

 

I never want to be there again. Ever.

 

I shut my mind off those thoughts and focused on the open page in front of me. Mastering the art of indifference even with my own thinking process, I knew I could easily banish sad thoughts.

 

But they were not all sad thoughts. There were beautiful thoughts too.

 

I love those beautiful thoughts. Some of them would come to me suddenly.

 

Then I remembered how so many things reminded me of him before. I thought fate was mocking me repeatedly as every little thing seemed to remind me of him.

 

In time, I realized those were fate’s way of making me get used to those remembrance until I won’t relate them to the past anymore.

 

Once in awhile, I would remember him and I won’t be a hypocrite and say it doesn’t affect me anymore.

 

But that is all there is to it… a remembrance.

 

Sometimes, stories don’t really have to have happy endings.

 

Work finally stole me away from my reverie. I busied my mind with what is in front of me. The afternoon seemed to pass by like a breeze. I took a final sip from my cup and closed my notebook.  I was getting ready to leave.

 

Suddenly, a voice stopped my movement.

 

He wasn’t directly speaking to me but it felt like it.

 

There was this short distance between us and I realized how close we were— he was sitting behind my seat.

 

I felt my chest throbbed louder as I sat there perplexed.

 

I would know that voice everywhere.

 

I’ve memorized that voice in my head and kept it in one of the secret compartments of my heart. Sitting still, I waited patiently. He was with some men discussing business.

 

Minutes passed and I still couldn’t make up my mind on what to do. Then I decided to stay and calm myself.

 

It was almost two years… a few months shy of two years.

 

How time passed.

 

Time went on; I remained there just listening to his voice… to his laughter. I could just picture him in my head. Silly how I would imagine him when I could just turn and look at him.

 

After all those times, after all those I went through and after all those things I led myself to believe in…

 

After everything else it would still be that voice that could make my heart flutter that way.

 

I whispered in my silence, in a way that he can never hear, “I miss you…”

 

Ad infinitum.

 

With restless heart, I waited until finally I heard them say goodbye to each other. Chairs were pulled back as they stood. The voices and the noise can never be as loud as how my heart beats.

 

Finally, I stood.

 

By instinct, my body moved as my mind and heart commanded it.

 

Finally, finally… they both agreed to one understanding.

 

Closing my eyes for a moment, I gather the courage and called out, “Yonghwa… Oppa…?”

 

I watched as he stopped dead on his track. Was it my voice? Did he have the same compartment for my voice?

 

He turned facing me. Surprise and something else were written all over his face.

 

I walked slowly to where he stood and smiled, “It’s been a long time.”

 

“Yes. H-yun…. H-Ho

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter