Memories Don’t Fade, Like a Tattoo, Like a Scar

Ad Infinitum
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 3. Memories Don’t Fade, Like a Tattoo, Like a Scar

 

The night of the mixer was not like the one I had before— before him.

 

Everything was the same but all too different.

 

I wasn’t going to go since my closest friends went to another event but they promised to go right after. I didn’t want to go because I’d rather curl up in my bed with a good book or a movie. There was no reason for me to be there because I was not the party type.

 

But I went anyway.

 

Because of him.

 

We had that little afternoon at the café where he gave me every reason to go with him to the party. Somehow, he sensed that I wasn’t going so he gave me all the reason to be there— actually, only one.

 

That he was going to be there, with me, beside me.

 

And he was.

 

He was there, gracious, attentive, funny, charming— awfully charming that, by the end of the night, I was under his spell.

 

He never left me and all eyes that fell on us looked as if they were wondering if we were dating. I could have told them otherwise but he never left my side. I ushered him to go, probably just to test if he would really do it. But he was determined and it very well impressed the inexperienced girl in me.

 

“Oppa, you can go talk to your friends, you know. Jisong Oppa was just being a big brother.” I smiled reassuringly as I watched him take another sip of the cocktail from his paper cup, “I can take care of myself.”

 

His brows knitted, “Don’t you want me hanging out with you?”

 

“It’s not that… I want you to have fun too.”

 

He placed the cup on the table, “I am having fun.”

 

“You’d have more with your friends,” I countered.

 

This time, he turned his body towards me and crossed his arms on his chest, “Just be honest, don’t you like me?”

 

I was dumbfounded by that serious look he was giving me. I found myself muttering, “I like you—“ I was going to say more until I realized what I just said so I sighed heavily, “I-I mean… oh, you know what I mean…”

 

He laughed then lightly brushed a finger on my arm, “I’m having fun, Hyun…”

 

“Oppa—”

 

“How can I not?” He took my hand. The electricity rushed through me, “I’ve been in to many parties like this but I’ve never been with a girl like you.”

 

I bit my lips, unable to form the words or contain the surprise on my face.

 

He smiled making it impossible for me to pull my hand away, “I’d rather be with you than anybody else.”

 

The butterflies danced. They never warned me that it was way too fast.

 

It was too fast. I should have known.

 

But I didn’t.

 

“Let’s go to the coffee shop instead. I’d rather have that kind of afternoon we had yesterday. Just the two of us.”

 

I nodded.

 

~~~

 

Even from the very beginning, most of my friends were wary of my relationship with him and they made it known every opportunity they get. My bestfriend, for instance, was the very first person to warn me about him.  I was one of the most sensible person in my circle of friends and they respect me for my opinions and resolves. Only this time, they didn’t agree with me.

 

“I didn’t see you at the party last night.” I casually said when I noticed that pensive look Yoona was giving me, “You didn’t go?”

 

“I did. And yes, I saw you. Just when you were leaving… with Jung Yonghwa.” She said quietly until she stressed with annoyance she could no longer control, “What were you thinking?!”

 

I didn’t really want to talk about it but I was just curious especially since she was showing that much cynicism, “What? Why?”

 

Yoona looked at me for a moment, the way she would usually do especially when she was about to say something I was not ready to hear. But she said it anyway, “Hyun, he is bad news, okay?”

 

“He’s… nice…” I did a double take then shrugged as if we were not really talking about something so important, “What do you mean he’s bad news?”

 

“Let’s just say he’s collecting women.”

 

She was watching me with those wide eyes that warned me that she was actually trying to bait me. What she said really did make me tremble. My head was somewhat woozy but I smiled through it all, “We’re not dating. Jisong Oppa introduced us and he kinda escorted me to the party.”

 

“Do you like him?”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter