The Girl

I'll Still Love You Even If You're... Rich? [Hiatus]

 

The girl woke up with an hour left of the ride. Aaron, by that time, had finished watching two Asian movies. He was well into the third when the weight on his shoulders disappeared. Aaron got used to the weight on his shoulders.

 

“Aish!” The girl said. She wiped her face, and mouth, and stood up so fast. She stumbled and fell back. Aaron quickly grabbed her hand and pulled her in.

 

“Hey. Don't stand up too fast. How long can you sleep, anyways? You slept for a total of 14 hours on this plane! Is it really that comfortable?” Her hair was still perfectly straight after sleeping for so long. Aaron's hair would never stay flat like that.

 

“Huh?” The girl blinked twice, then realized that Aaron was holding on her hand. “Oh, hi. Thanks. Um, I slept that long!? When do we get off?” She said in very fluent English.

 

“Uh, fourteen? No,” Aaron counted his fingers. “Uh... Forty minutes.” English wasn't Aaron's forte.

 

“Where are you going?” She asked him.

 

“What do you mean?” Aaron asked. He was still sitting in his seat. Aaron turned around in his seat to look for who she was asking that question to.

 

“Ni wei shen me da fei ji qu jia na da? (Why are you on a plane to Canada?)”

 

“Oh,” Aaron laughed. This girl could speak good Chinese, too, “I'm going .. school..high school..”

 

“Oh! Where are you going?”

 

This time, Aaron WAS standing up to go to the washroom. “Walking around. You lay on me for 14 hours, need to stretch my legs.” Aaron laughed. Even at home he couldn't stay still for five minutes without doing another thing.

 

Aaron went to the washroom slowly, he stretched his legs. Then he went back out to the economic class section. As he headed back to his seat, he noticed the seat beside him was empty. The girl was gone. Where did she go? The plane was still flying.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

That guy looked like he was rich. He had a suit on and everything. But why was he in the economic class? Aren't all rich people supposed to go first class? And he let me sleep on him for so long! I can't believe I slept that long! Where's my sister?

 

I walked around. I had entered the first class of the plane. The stewardess had given me a look like I was a monster or some kind of bug. She had a disgusted look in her face, probably because I looked like a pauper. My sister was nowhere to be seen. After I had slept fourteen hours, I checked the washroom. The door was locked. Oh ya, that guy that I slept on is in there. My sister wouldn't be in there. Shoot! I payed using all last year's salary to get on this plane and now I can't find my sister!

 

I decided to check the business class. That class would still be way too fancy. When I went to check the first class, they were all wearing suits, like the one that guy was wearing. I entered the business class. There, sitting on a woman's lap, was my sister. She was sleeping, with a coke in her hand.

 

“Uh, excuse me,” I whispered. I didn't want to wake my sister, but I also didn't like her on strangers.

 

“Oh, you are this young girl's sister? She told me she was lonely, so I let her cuddle up to me. Where have you been these fourteen hours?” The lady looked with a face of joy at my sister, and turned to look at me with a stern glare.

 

“I.. I was sleeping,” I admitted.

 

The woman's look softened up. “So you worked hard to get on this plane, huh?”

 

I paused. I didn't want to tell her a lot of my information. But then again, my sister was with her for fourteen hours. Who knows what she told her. And my sister was still alive and healthy during those fourteen hours. “How did you know? Yeah. My parents are in Canada, so I want to reunite with them. They had to move there because our income was low, and they had heard Canada payed well. I had worked a year to raise money to send me and my sister to them,”

 

“You have a look of honesty on your face. You are so filial, what is your name, honey?”

 

“Oh, how rude I was.. My name is Selina Ren. And my sister is Ceci Ren. Thank you for taking care of my sister.”

 

I heard a beep and the pilot came on. “We are now preparing to land. Please fasten your seat-belts.”

 

I lifted my sister to the seat next to the woman. I hurried and snapped the seat belt. Then I bolted down to the economic class, and slid in right next beside the guy. I fastened my seatbelt. By the time I was done, the pilot was done talking. I hadn't heard of what he had said, only the seatbelt part. Oh well.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Aaron saw the girl run into the room, and sit down right beside Aaron. Aaron was surprised, because he had thought the girl had somehow disappeared.

 

“Oh, you're back,” Aaron smiled.

 

“Ya, I was finding my sister.”

 

For some reason Aaron thought of the girl who wanted the coke. “Was she young and holding a coke?” Aaron asked.

 

“Ya, how did you know?” the girl asked. She tilted her head.


“I have my ways,” Aaron said.

 

“By the way, thanks,” the girl said.

 

“Oh, yeah. No problem... What's your name?”

 

“I didn't tell you? It is Selina Ren, nice to meet you. And you are...”

 

“Not telling.” Aaron didn't know what his name should be yet. After all, nobody could know his real name, or else he would be breaking rule number one of the rule list.

 

“Aw, really?” Selina whined. She nudged Aaron.

 

“No, not telling.”