The Choice that Made Me

Tug-of-War

     Melinda's POV

I didn't want to dash out, but I couldn't stop myself. Did he just do that? In front of all those people? This is so embarrassing! 

     I have to admit, it was sweet, but...great! I didn't think I even still cared about him, but just what he said. He's giving all that up for me?

Great. Is he following me? That guy just can't leave me alone for five minutes.

     "Melinda? Are you out here?" he calls. I try to stay quiet, but he sees me and comes over. Turns out the tactics I used to avoid people who bugged me in middle/high school are of no help whatsoever in my adult life.

     "Well, you found me," I laugh. Laughing. Never a good sign.

"Listen, I'm sorry for putting you on the spot like that. I'm just an idiot, I suppose," he says.

     "You can say that again." 

He looks at me.

     "Sorry. I'm just really confused right now."

"It's alright. I get it. I just hope you're not confused over how much I love you. Giving up drinking is probably one of the hardest things I've ever done, but if I'm doing it for you, I know I can succeed." he grabs my hand.

     "Ryeowook, thank you for saying what you did, though. It was really sweet. I guess I hate being put on the spot."

He looks down. "I know. You told me that before. I won't do it again, I promise." But he looks back at me. "That's not why you're confused, is it?" he asks.

     I shake my head. "Aniya (no), it isn't. Can I tell you the truth?"

"Of course. Shoot."

     I take a deep breath. "Well, I guess you could say while working with Hankyung, we got pretty close."

He gets an "I-know-where-this-is-going" look.

     "Just listen. We kind of kissed...well, a lot. But it didn't go any farther than that. And at one point, we shared a bed, but it was nothing else, I promise. It was really cold that night, and the cot Hankyung had to use was really lumpy."

     He shakes his head, his face in his hands. "Why didn't I expect this?" he said.

I rub his back. "I'm sorry. But, I guess we figured out that it was more physical attraction than anything else. It wasn't that deep an emotional connection."

     "I really don't blame you. He cared about you, and you just wanted someone who wasn't going to treat you like crap. If you want to be with him, I get it."

I shake my head. "No! All this time, I thought I had something with him, but it turned out to be nothing. Honestly, my mind kept going back to you. I wanted so badly to get over you, but if you can't forget someone for a good reason, maybe it means something. I saw the potential that you had to be a real man today, and that is what lets me know how I truly feel about you."

     He looks up, his eyes b with tears.

"Wookster, saranghae (I love you)."

     He smiles when I use the nickname I came up with for him. 

"And this'll prove it." I take his face into my hands, giving him a kiss, both our eyes closing. This is the first time we have ever kissed, and truth be told, I don't want it to be the last. 

     We finally pull away from each other. It was the hardest thing I've done in awhile, but we're human. We need air.

"You didn't give me a chance to respond, jagiya (sweetheart)," he says.

     "Okay then. Respond," I grin.

"Nado saranghaeyo (I love you, too)."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A few minutes later

 Hankyung's POV

     "Hankyung, we need to talk, please," Melinda says to me.

"Oh, Miso-ah, what is it?" I ask.

     She has taken me aside. "Hankyung, I know that we determined that our feelings for each other were nothing more than feelings."

I nod. "Yes."

     "Well, I guess I'm just re-instating that."

"I understand," I say, trying not to sound disappointed.

     "Well, that and Ryeowook and I are back together."

I look up. "Really?"

     "I can tell he's changed. I guess I'm able to see right through people, but I know he's sincere."

"Okay. Truth be told, I could see that he was different, too. But if he ever tries to hurt you again, let me know."

     She giggles. "Okay, but by then, he'll have gotten an earful from me. And, you're a great guy, Hankyung. You're sweet, caring, and compassionate. Any woman would be lucky to have you. If you just keep being you, I know you'll find the right one."

     I give her a hug. "Thanks, sister," I tell her. "Now, let's get back to the reunion."

I almost felt something for her at first, but it's now obvious that we're not supposed to be together. I know that she and Ryeowook will be happy together, but I'm going to miss what we had. 

     What she said encouraged me, though. Maybe I'll go back home to China, find a good girl there, and have a nice life where I came from. But I guess I'll figure that out in the future.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Epilogue

Melinda's POV

     From the time the whole project started with Super Junior, I never expected this much to happen. An 18-year-old American girl, set on geting a PhD in psychology re-discovers her dream in a country so far from her own. Almost losing that dream was scary, but I managed to recover with a guy named Tam hankyung, who I know was a Godsend. All throughout, I learned how to forgive and discern who people really are, while figuring out how to look past the 'what-ifs' and take a leap of faith on so many things.

     And I know that taking back Kim Ryeowook, the man that I fell in love with, was the choice that made me. I know I made the choice, but that choice is going to shape my life, and take me into a great future with him. 

     And I can't wait to see what it holds.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author's note:

So, how was the ending? Was it woo weird? Was it nice? Let me know with a comment, if you please. Thanks to all my subscribers and everyone who read this story, gave me advice, and were just willing to read my first fan fiction on here. I truly appreciate you guys.

I posted a poll as to who wants a sequel, but I probably won't start the sequel until next week or a little after that. I still have to catch up on "Fluff-tastic" and "Music of two Hearts". 

Thanks again! I hope you enjoyed this story!

~Rachael