Her Choice

Tug-of-War

     Magie's POV

     I began to pack my things that Monday. My heart sank with every item I placed in my bag, for I knew that this was my final decision. 

I was leaving the Jump Girls, and the whole project with Super Junior, to visit my terminally-ill cousin before he passed. Steven was like my brother, and I couldn't bail on my family just because my career had hit a high. They were one of my top priorities in my life.

     "Do you need any help, Maggie?" Eun Kyung asked. 

"I'm alright, but thanks for the offer, unnie," I said. 

     "Well, is it alright if I just keep you company?" she asked. "Or will I be bothering you?"

I stop packing and sit on my bed. I pat the spot next to me so she will sit down.

     "This ," I say.

She wraps her arm around me. "Anything else?"

     "That's about it. Oh, and our boss is a -"

My colorful phrase was cut off when Mi Hi entered.

     "Everyone okay in here?" she asked.

"Define okay," I tell her. 

     "I know, I know. I mean okay in a general sense. This are hard right now, Miso, but they will get better."

"Terminally-ill cousin, leaving one of the best jobs in my life... doesn't seem too promising," I say.

     "But dongsaeng, that's now. The future could be totally different."

"I guess. But how will I ever find a job again?"

     "You're talented, Maggie," Eun Kyung says. "Anyone would be lucky to employ you."

"Thank you, unnie. But this is still all in flames."

     Mi Hi begins to quote one of my favorite songs that i translated from English for her. "Out of these ashes, beauty will rise."

"Ashes come from fully-burned things. I'm still in flames."

     She begins to shake her head. "Find one positive thing. Just one. Fluffy socks still exist."

I giggle fr the first time in weeks. "I guess I'm just having a pity-party. Forgive me, girls?"

     "Of course," Eun Kyung says.  "We'll let you finish packing," she says. Eun Kyung and Mi Hi leave, and I finish packing. After I am done, I flop on my bed and just lie there in oblivion. 

     My phone begins to ring, and I see Ryeowook calling me. 

"Annyeonghaseyo (hello)," I answer.

     "Hi Maggie. How are you faring?"

"I'm alright, I guess. As good as I can be."

     "I'm sorry for everything that's happening. But I want you to know that we'll all be here for you. Just call, and I'll help, no matter when you call."

"Thank you, oppa. That makes me happier," I say.

     "I'm glad I could help. Hey, I wanted to ask you something."

"Yes?"

     "I don't have anything going on tonight, and since we laready had a going away party for you, would you like to come over and have dinner with me? the guys are going out to do different things tonight, but I just felt like staying here."

     I'm hesitant, but I agree. "Okay. Sounds great. What time should I be there?"

"How about seven?"

    "Alright," I say. "Thanks for the invitation."

"No problem. See you then."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

     7:00 p.m. 

Ryeowook's POV

     I hear a knock at the door and see that it's Maggie. I open the door, greeting her.

"Annyeong," I say.

     "Hi. Thank you for having me over. I really appreciate it," he smiles. It's the first time I've seen her smile in weeks. I'm so glad that i can make her smile during this hard time for her. 

     "Are you ready for dinner?" I ask.

"Sure. Did you cook?"

    "I did. I'm sorry that's it's not fancy. It's just some steak."

"That's fine. Home-cooked food is the best, especially if you miss home."

     We go to the table, and I pull out her chair.

"Thank you," she says.

    "You're welcome. I'll go get the food."

I get two plates of steak with noodles and vegetables, and set one in front of her. I pour some water for us and sit down.

     "This looks great," she says. "I can't wait to try it."

She goes about her normal process of prayer, and I join her. She has made me appreciate my faith so much more in the little bit of time I've known her. During this time, she says a prayer for her cousin and her whole family. I can tell that she loves him so much.

     We look up and begin to eat. 

"So, what time does your flight leave tomorrow?" I ask.

     "Around six a.m.," she tells me. 

"Pretty early, huh?" is all I think to say.

     "Yeah, but that's okay. The sooner I can get home, the better. I'm going to miss all of you, especially the girls, so much."

"We're going to miss you,too." 

     I almost feel like I'm intruding, but I have to ask her a question. I'm just wondering what her family is like.

"Maggie, I hope you don't mind, but can I ask you what Steven, your cousin, is like?"

     Her face grows sad for a moment, but then she smiles. 

"Sure," she answers. "I'm sure you'll enjoy to hear about him."

 

 

 

 

     Maggie's POV

     Ryeowook's question catches me off guard for a moment. But he deserves to know what Steven is like.

"I guess you could say Steven is like a brother to me. I have no siblings of my own, so we became close as kids, and our relationship stayed strong. We just bonded, feeling a bit different as kids, and having the same, quiet personality. He's always willing to hlp people, but he's not big on sympathy for himself, and he's very independent, altough I dare say, too much sometimes. But he'd be there for you, and he's always friendly, encouraging people. I guess that's why his fiance fell for him. He's a great guy."

     "He does sound like a great person," Ryeowook says. "The world should have more people like him."

I nod. "It's too bad that he has to leave this world so soon. With his passing, a little piece of goodness will also slip away. I know it sounds cheesy, but it's true."

     "You speak very fondly of your cousin. I wish I could meet him," he says.

"I wish you could, too." I feel my eyes burning, but i try to hold my emotions back.

 

     Ryeowook's POV

I see her face twist up, and I fear that I have made her feel this way.

     "I'm sorry for doing this to you. I never meant to make you cry," I say.

She shakes her head. "It's alright. Sometimes I think it helps me to think about him."

     "Alright. I'm still sorry, though."

"You're fine."

     I try to think of another way to cheer her up. An idea hits me.

"Hey, would you like to watch a movie?" I ask.

     "Sure. I'd love to."

"Okay. You can go out to the living room. Just give me a couple minutes, and I'll be out."

     She shakes her head. "Nuh-uh. If you're planning on cleaning this all by yourself, I refuse to leave. I'm helping you."

"Fine. If you insist."

     After a few minutes, we finish cleaning up, and we both head to the living room. 

"Do you have a preference as to what we watch?" I ask.

     "Nope. Pick anything. Except a chick-flick with zombies. Why taint a good zombie movie with mushy crap?" she says.

I laugh. "Okay." 

     I pop in 'Attack On the Pin-Up Boys', figuring it'll be good to laugh at my neat, squeaky-clean looks in that movie.

We sit next to each other on the couch and quietly view the film, laughing every once in awhile. 

     She looks a bit tired, but her eyes refuse to close, and she looks a bit uncomfortable.

"Are you alright?" I ask. 

     "Yes. I'm fine, thanks," she replies.

She still looks tense, so I wrap my arm around her and pull her head onto my shoulder. It seems a bit rash, but I felt like I should do this. She seems to hesitate at first, but them relaxes and willingly rests her head on me.

     We finish the film, and just as I'm about to ask her what she thought of it, I look at her, and she is sleeping. I could almost say she's adorable. She wakes up.

 

     Maggie's POV

I feel Ryeowook's warm breath on my forehead. Did I really just fall asleep on his shoulder? It doesn't matter. It's probably the most rest I've gotten in weeks. And something about the way he held me made me feel strangely safe. 

     "Did I fall asleep?" I ask.

"Yeah, but that's okay," he says. "You looked tired."

     I check his shirt to make sure it's not wet. I tend to drool in my sleep (don't judge me), and it would be horrible if he found out. I am relieved to see that his shoulder is dry.

      "I suppose I should," but then I stop. My eyes close, and my head begins to rest on his chest. I situate my ear above his heart, listening to the steady beat. The gentle rhythm of his heart is one of the only constant things in my life.

     I pull up my head. "Sorry. I-I"

"It's fine. If it made you comfortable, then it's fine," he says.

    "I better go," I tell him.

"Will you let me drive you home? You told me you walked."

     "Um ,sure. If it's not too much trouble."

"No, not at all."

     We head out to the car. The ride is quiet, and we really don't say anything. He pulls up to the dorm, and I get ready to leave the car.

"Thank you, oppa. I had a very nice evening," I tell him.

     "No problem. Anything I could do to help you."

I open the door, but turn around and give him a quick hug. 

     "I might be losing a brother, but I think I might have a new one."

He looks puzzled. I smile at him.

     "I mean you, silly. You have no siblings, either, so I figured you could use a sister."

He smiles. "Good night, sister. Call me in the morning."

     "I will. Drive safely, oppa."

He drives away, and I head up to my room. This is the first genuine feeling od happiness I have had in the past few weeks. I might have called him a brother, but I'm not quite sure these are the feelings you have toward a brother. These are different, but kind of in a good way. Hopefully tonight's events will help to carry me through tomorrow and the next few weeks.

 

     Ryeowook's POV

I begin to drive home, and I think of what she said. 

     " 'Brother' ?" I think. "I almost wish it was more, but I can't pressure her into a relationship at this time in her life."

It might not be what I imagined, but maybe she needs another brother, and right now, she just needs my support.

     Although, I secretly hopes she feels that I could be more than a brother.