One Step Up

Tug-of-War

     We were all gathered around the table and finished eating when Mi Sun began to speak.

"So, I suppose you would all like to know who I saw at the market today."

     We all nodded eagerly.

"Well, you all know the band Super Junior, right?"

     Everyone said yes except for me. Once Mi Hi quickly fileld me in on who they were, Mi Sun continued.

"It just so happened that Park Jungsoo, who is better known as their leader Leeteuk, is an old friend from college."

     "Did he know about our band?" Hyun-Ae asked.

"He called us the Leap Girls instead of the Jump Girls, but I'm sure that was a simple slip of the tongue," she replied.

     "This is just great," Mi Hi moaned. "We're obviously doing so badly that oen of the biggest names in Korean music didn't know who we were. We're doomed. This is just lovely."

     "Mi Hi, calm down!" Eun Kyung said. "The poor guy is so busy. It's a mistake anyone could have made."

"At least he had the right concept in mind," Hyun-Ae added.

     "Anyway, Jungsoo mentioned how he's impressed that being newcomers,we've done so well and how the fans have just gravitated toward us. So, his idea was for Jump Girls and Super Junior to record a few songs together, possibly do an album, and maybe even a concert tour. It would help boost our popularity while giving them a boost up with a new project," Mi Sun told us.

     "This is huge!" Mi Hi cried. "We may become more popular than Girl's Generation and all of those other K-pop girl bands!"

"And I think it would be cool to hang out with and get to know the Super Junior guys. Plus, Eunhyuk is quite handsome," Hyun-Ae added.

     "We have to remember to keep this completely professional, though," Eun Kyung reminded. "If we get too caught up or overly involved with them as to the point where it will jeopardize our plans, it will almost certainly blow up in our faces, and any work we do will be in vain."

     "That is a very good point, Eun Kyung. Jungsoo and I briefly touched on keeping things professional during our conversation. Friendly relationships will be fine, but we should try oru best not to let it get beyond there. And if it does, may I make a strong point on this, " Mi Sun began, "Any possible breakups shoudl be done gently as to not rustle feathers, and any romantic relationships should not be over publicized when on the air or in public, as to not agitate the fans. I trust that all of you girls are smart enough to handle yourselves maturely."

     "Even Mi Hi," Hyun-Ae teased.

Mi Hi shot an icy stare at Hyun-Ae. 

     "Hyun-Ae dongsaeng, this is not the time to be sayng such things," Eun Kyung scolded. "Even though Mi Hi may be a bit of an untamed flower at times, I see her mature side  often, especially in professional situations. She has also been working very hard lately. I trust that a remark like this will not happen again, am I correct?"

     "Ye (yes), Eun Kyung noona. You are correct."

"I'm very sorry, Mi Sun noona. You were saying?" Eun Kyung continued.

     "Thank you, Eun Kyung dongsaeng, for defending your fellow member. I'm sure that Hyun-Ae meant no harm, but we all must be careful to support each other, especially if we will be spending more time together with this plan. As I was saying, Jungsoo still has to bring this idea to his manager, and if everything goes well, they will discuss it with their company. He said that the company will probably love the idea and be on board, but he still has to bring it to them."

     "Noona, I am sorry for the outburst earlier," Hyun-Ae began. "And I am very sorry to you as well, Mi Hi."

"I think I'll find it to forgive you," Mi Hi replied as she put her arm around Hyun-Ae in a loving sisterly way. Hyun-Ae smiled.

     "Kamsa hamnida, Hyun-Ae," said Mi Sun.

"I do have a question, though," Hyun-Ae said.

     "What would it be?'

"Won't the plan take awhile to finalize and just to run by Super Junior's manager and SME?"

     "That's another thing," Mi Sun replied. "He said that all of the details of the idea, if it is even accepted, may take a few weeks to even a couple of months to work out. We exchanged phone numbers, and he will call me when he fidns out whether this will work or not. We have to be patient."

     "Does this sound like a good plan to everyone?" Eun Kyung asked.

"It sounds fine to me," Hyun-Ae said.

     "It's a great idea!" said Mi Hi.

"It sounds fine to me, and I assume that Mi Sun noona is on board, too," Eun Kyung said.

     "You just assumed since I've benn going on about it that I'm just fine with it?" Mi Sun asked.

"I'm sorry, noona. I didn't mean to make such a suggestion," Euk Kyung repleid truthfully.

     "I was only kidding, dongsaeng," Mi Sun said as she laughed. "But what about you, Miso? Is it alright with you? You've hardly said anything this whole time."

     I replied with, "It sounds fine wtih me. I'm assuming that Super Junior is quite the popular band here, and even though I don't know much about them, they way you speak of Park Jungsoo makes him sound like a respectable, honset, and trustworthy person."

     "Yes. he is very much all of those things," she replied.

"Then I'm on board!"

   Everyone laughed and cheered.

"And with that, the great and wise Miso has spoken!" Mi Hi declared.

     "I promised to call Jungsoo back as to whether all of you were okay with the deal, and then he was going to run the idea by the Super Junior members and then the, um, 'higher powers', I suppose you could say," Mi Sun said.

     "Ugh, then I bet Siwon will want to pray about his answer, being the 'ideal Christian boy' and whatnot," Mi Hi said. "Now it's going to take twice as long for us to get a reply for our deal."

     "I don't blame him," I said. "I mean, it's always good to ask God's opinion on big stuff like that."

"I was joking," she said.

     "Oh, sorry. I guess I just pulled a Eun Kyung," I laughed. 

The room went silent.

     Realizing what I had done, I slapped my hand over my mouth as fast as I could.

"I am so sorry, Eun Kyung noona," I said. "I did not mean to say that."

    What the h-e double toothpicks had I just done?

She gave me the most serious look, then began to smile. 

     "It's alright, dongsaeng. I forgive you." Then she looked at Mi Sun and said, "If anything, I'm sure you meant 'no harm'".

At that, everyone began to laugh wildly.

     "And if you're such the good little Christian girl," Mi Hi said, "Why didn't you pray before making your decision on this, huh?"

"I did. That was this morning when I prayed that God would give me His wisdom throughout the day as I made choices. So there," I said.

     "Oh yeah. And we did pray together before the meal," she said.

"Except for me," Hyun-Ae said. 

     In the band, we pretty much are all Christians except for Hyun-Ae. I wouldn't necessarily say she's an Atheist or has her own firm 'this is it' type of spiritual beliefs to her. I'm not exactly sure what she believes, but she said she thinks about that stuff quite a bit. I've told her that she can come talk to me if she ever wanted to talk about that stuff that I'd be here, and it usually resulted in a "Thanks. I'll remember that," type thing. 

     I still remember when Eun Kyung and Mi Hi became Christians. Mi Sun and I were the only Christians in the band when we formed, but maybe I'll tell that story later.

     "Well, that's a given," Mi Hi said.

"Okay, so we're all good with this?" Mi Sun asked

     A mutual "ye (yes)" resounded from all of the girls.

"And thus marks the end of the meeting," Mi Sun said.

    "Let's do the chant," Mi Hi said.

"Good idea," I repliled.

     Mi Sun started as usual, except we just counted this time.

"We'll save the 'I say 'let's jump' ' thing for the stage shows, alright?"

    We nodded.

"Han (one)... du (two)...se (three)...

Jump Girls!"

     I knew that everyone was aware the results of the plan's approval might take awhile to reach us, but secretly, I could also tell that everyone was anxious to know what was going to happen.