Stunned

Tug-of-War

     Maggie's POV

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

     I get back to the dorm, pick up my phone, and go into Mi Hi's and my room. My heart races and my hands tremble as I dial my cousin Steven's number.

Why did he want me to call him when it was nearly three a.m. in the United States? He usually prefers not to worry people, so right now I'm fearing the worst, but praying that it isn't. Being an only child, Steven is like a brother to me, and I have no idea what I would do if I lost him.

     The phone picks up, and before I can say anything, Steven says "Melly, I've been waiting for you to call. How are you?"

'How are you?' He has me call him urgently, scaring the living daylights out of me, just to say 'How are you?' ?!?!

     I re-play his words and hear the exhaustion, fear, and stress in his voice, but it's like him to put up a brave front. I guess I'm just on edge right now.

"I'm alright. But the way Mom made things sound...tell me, Steve, how are you? Really?" I say.

     "I...well...I suppose it depends on mindset. Physically, not so great. mentally, not much better," he worriedly replies.

Physically? Is he sick?

     "Would you care to specify?" I ask him.

"Maggie, I'm going to be honest- it's cancer. Pancreatic, to be exact."

     My phone drops to the floor. I was almost expecting this, but then again, I wish I maybe hadn't been.

The phone relays a verbal message.

     "Mells, you still there?"

I drop to the floor, and I begin to cry. I hate to levave Steven hanging, but I can't control myself. I try to pull myself together, as Mi Hi comes in.

     "Miso, what's going on?" she asks me with a worried look on her face.

"Steven...cancer...what the..." I can't get my words to make sense, and the worst part is, they're coming out in English, so she can't understand me.

     She picks up my phone. "Annyeonghaseyo (hello)?"

"What?" Steven says.

   "Um, sorry. Maggie's phone. Not her. One minute, please," she stutters in broken English.

I continue to shake from my sobbing on the floor. She gets a tissue, wipes my tears,and puts her arm around me in a loving fashion. She tries to hand the phone to me, but I can't even get up the strength to hold it up to my ear, so she does it for me, and I continue talking to Steven.

     "How bad did they say it was?" I ask Steven.

"They think they caught it early, but it's an aggresive form." 

    I tried to control my tears, but he must notice them.

"Geez, I'm sorry, Mels. I didn't mean to shove everything at you like this. I just wanted to make sure you knew," he tells me.

     "Thanks for telling me."

"I guess even though I'm older than you, I miss you as my pseudo sister, and I just need you. I'm trying to be strong and trust God, but I'm scared out of my mind, Melinda.  I am. I've prayed, been in the Bible, everything that people tell me to do, but it looks like a jumbled mess. I'm trying to stay strong, though, especially for Elena."

     I didn't bother to think of his girlfriend, Elena. I hope she's taking this better than I am.

"Is she doing alright with everything?" I ask.

     "She's tough, but I think this is getting to her, too."

"I'm sorry, Steve."

     "Thanks," he says. "I was gonna propose, but who really wants to marry a death-bound  invalid?"

I despise those words coming out of my brave, brother-like cousin's mouth. 

     "Steven! Don't talk about yourself that way. I've seen the way Elena looks at you, and she is crazy for you. Nothing would make her stop loving you, and heck, this definitely will not."

     "I...thanks. Thanks for talking, Maggie. I miss you."

"I miss you too, Steve. I'll be praying for you and everyone else. I love you," I tell him.

     "I love you, too. I'll talk to you later."

"Get some sleep. It's three a.m. there," I tell him.

     "Okay. Bye."

We both hang up, and I immediately curl into a huddle on the floor again, and begin to cry. Mi Hi pulls me onto her lap, and she my back.

      "It's okay. If you need anything, I'm here," she says.

"Thank you," I manage to say before I start to violently sob again.