Danger

My Assassin Oppas

Dara jolted awake. She sat up and breathed. Her breathing was labored like she was struggling with something during her sleep. She cried, remembering her nightmare – a different one from her previous ones. Her cries became loud sobs as she buried her face in her palms.

 

Moments later, the door to her room blasted open. “Dara, are you alright?!” there was panic in TOP’s voice.

 

Dara looked up and her face was tainted with tears. There was fear in her eyes and that made TOP approached her and embraced her tight.

 

“Is everything alright? Did you have a bad dream?” TOP consoled, speaking in a soft voice as if speaking to a child.

 

“Sanghyun,” she said once. “What if . . . what if he rejects me too?” she asked, her voice almost drowned out by her sobs.

 

TOP flinched. There was no doubt that what happened that day had a great impact on her. He didn’t mean to react like that when he saw his sister. He just fell, just had his heart broken seeing how his sister rejected him. On the way home, even though it seemed that Dara consoled him, he could see how affected she was because she just fell silent, probably deep in thoughts.

 

“Sssh,” he shushed, her hair. “Sanghyun will never do that. He’s . . . different from my noona.”

 

But Dara fell deaf as she just continued crying, not really looking for that day when she meets her brother, even having the thoughts of giving up for the fear that she might get rejected.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Here’s your breakfast,” Teddy said, putting some eggs and bacons on Dara’s plate. “And an especially-made-for-you pancakes,” he said putting another plate beside hers.

 

Dara looked up and lifted a small smile.

 

“Yeah, smile a little more, alright?” Kush said, placing his fingers on both sides of her lips and lifted them for her to smile.

 

Dara stared at his another oppa and tears started to form inside her eyes.

 

“Oops, no tears,” TOP said, covering her eyes.

 

“How can I eat then?” she asked with Kush’s fingers on her lips and TOP’s hand on her eyes.

 

The two pulled back and they laughed together.

 

“Aish, this drama makes my head ache. Let’s eat!” Dara cheerfully said and started digging into her food. The other three followed suit. After a while, Dara lifted her eyes from her food and her and TOP’s gazes met. They then chuckled when TOP winked at her.

 

How could she trouble her brothers with her own problems? Even though it hurt her inside, she tried to smile, so that her brothers wouldn’t worry much about her. Besides, TOP’s words a while ago comforted her. Even though she initially thought of giving up, she thought twice. Why would she? She gave her word to their Dad and she had no plans of breaking her promise to him. She’s going to find Sanghyun.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dara strolled around the park as she waited for Cheondoong. They agreed to meet at lunch time. She held on to the bag carrying his sweater and pants.

 

She decided to sit on a bench and look around her. Suddenly, she thought she saw someone hiding behind the tree a little bit far from her. She guessed it was Cheondoong so she stood up and slowly walked towards the tree.

 

“Cheondoong,” she softly called, holding the bag close to her chest. She wondered why Cheondoong was playing with her. She saw the tip of his shoes and it didn’t seem like a pair of school shoes or something. Her eyes slowly lifted to see who the guy was but someone called her:

 

“Noona!” it was indeed Cheondoong’s voice but it didn’t come from the tree. It was from behind her. She quickly turned around as she heard a sense of panic and fear in his tone.

 

But before she could even see where Cheondoong was, she heard explosion-like gunshots from where the tree was. As if in slow motion, she covered her ears and bended down to duck. But before she could even duck, she felt a strong force hugging her and they both fell to the ground, with the person hugging her with one arm and another on top of her head.

 

The next she heard were another set of gunshots which was just near her. She guessed that it was just from the person who was hugging her. She just closed her eyes shut and covered her ears.

 

There were still echoes of the gunshots inside her head even after the exchange of gunshots. They were the only sounds she heard. She didn’t even hear the screaming people around the park. After a while, she felt herself being lifted off from the ground. She held on to the person’s neck as they ran away from the park. She still had her eyes closed, afraid of what she would see.

 

After a while, she was inside the car. She finally opened her eyes and saw Jiyong rounding the car before he went to sit on the driver’s seat.

 

“Jiyong!” she called.

 

“Are you alright?” Jiyong said, cupping her face. “You’re not hurt anywhere, are you? Where does it hurt?”

 

Trembling, Dara shook her head. She couldn’t talk anymore.

 

“Good. We’re going home.”

 

Dara rapidly blinked her eyes as Jiyong quickly drove the car. She couldn’t make out what was outside of the window as Jiyong drove like a madman.

 

Within minutes, they arrive in front of the house. Jiyong unclutched her seatbelt. “Quick, go inside and don’t go out unless I tell you to.”

 

“Wait, Jiyong. What’s happening? Why are you back early?”

 

Jiyong deeply breathed. “I’ll explain to you inside.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“So this enemy of the client found out about you being sent by your client?” TOP asked.

 

Jiyong nodded as he paced the living room with TOP and Dara staring at him. He was obviously furious and stressed.

 

“Why would he even try to hurt Dara?” Kush asked as he played the chess alone.

 

Jiyong stopped pacing and faced them. “He knew about our family. He’s looking for bait.”

 

“And Dara’s it?” Teddy asked as he cleaned his precious gun.

 

Jiyong sat in between TOP and Dara. “You need to be careful, Dara,” he said as he patted her head. “Why were you at that park anyway?”

 

“I was about to meet someo—“ she trailed off. “Cheondoong!” she exclaimed, standing up and was about to leave.

 

“You’re not leaving!” TOP and Jiyong scolded together, stopping Dara on her tracks.

 

She then turned around and watched the two who were also standing up. She diverted her gaze to TOP though. “Seunghyun-oppa, I heard him calling me before the gunshots. I need to see if he’s alright.”

 

“And risk your safety? No way,” Jiyong exclaimed. “You are staying here.”

 

“Jiyong, I need to—“

 

“Who the hell is this Cheondoong?!”

 

TOP patted Jiyong’s back and stared at Dara. “I’ll check on him while you stay here and explain who Cheondoong is, okay?”

 

Although hesitant, Dara nodded. She was sure that Jiyong wouldn’t let her out.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

When Dara finished talking, she closed her eyes shut as she sat on her bed, expecting the raging dragon to make his appearance.

 

“I told you that that job was dangerous! You never learn! You needed that kind of danger to happen to you before you learn! HUH?!” Jiyong’s voice bounced inside Dara’s room.

 

Dara felt little. She just continued shutting her eyes and curled while she sat on her bed, listening to Jiyong’s fury. She decided to tell the truth to Jiyong of how she met Cheondoong and to avoid all the suspicions and unwanted conclusions, she told the story from the start.

 

“I told you several times not to go to that job again. Why did you return?! And it was behind my back!”

 

“It wasn’t like you’ll permit me to do it. That’s why I did it,” Dara’s small voice came.

 

“Because I know the dangers that come with it. You, on the other hand, are too stubborn to see them!”

 

“I needed money. You knew that,” Dara’s voice started rising.

 

“I knew that! You had other choices but why choose this kind of filthy job?!”

 

“This filthy job offers the most money and I receive it the fastest way! Instead of waiting tables and receiving a small paycheck at the end of every month, I realize I could earn more by doing this!”

 

“Don’t you raise your voice on me! And even if you say that, that is a lame excuse! You have four brothers who are willing to help! We earn enough money for you and for this family!”

 

“It’s not like I could just take whatever amount I need from you. You earn that money! That’s why I had the need to earn my own money to spend it for my own needs.”

 

“See? Look at that stubbornness! It wouldn’t lead you anywhere.”

 

“Psh, it’s not like you’re not stubborn yourself!”

 

Jiyong ignored her remark. “Don’t you ever go back to that job! We’re here for you. We’re willing to help, okay?! That’s why even though it was against me; I accepted this job in Japan because it offered a lot of money. So that I could give it to you,” Jiyong lowered his voice.

 

Dara crossed her arms over her chest as she heard Jiyong’s words. Although moved, she was too mad to even feel overwhelmed. “You shouldn’t be stubborn too, you know. You didn’t have to work abroad.”

 

“I was just thinking of how you needed the money. It was also so that you won’t be working on that job again,” Jiyong said, sitting beside her.

 

“I won’t be going back. I’m. . .” she trailed off. “. . . too scared to go back.”

 

Jiyong sighed. “You must have been really scared. I wish I was there.”

 

“You were at work. And I was also scared of you.”

 

“Scared of me?”

 

Dara hesitated but continued on. “I was scared of your wrath. But I just saw it now. It still scared the hell out of me.”

 

Jiyong flinched, hearing the fear in her voice. He then hugged her from behind. He rested his head on her back. “I’m sorry. I won’t do it again.”

 

Suddenly, Dara’s body trembled. Jiyong rubbed her back, thinking she was crying.

 

“I’m really sorry,” he said, genuinely feeling apologetic.He really lost it a while ago. He was just mad, thinking that Dara would be exposed to such dangers and that he wasn't right there beside her. They were unforgivable in his part.

 

“I’m really sorry,” Dara imitated his voice.

 

Jiyong leaned away and looked at her face. Dara was laughing like a maniac, trying to cover and suppress her laughter.

 

“You aren’t looking for Dara, are you?” Dara changed her tone to a panicky one. “Don’t you know I can’t eat now? I can’t even work pro—HAHAHAHAHAHAAHA,” Dara laughed aloud now.

 

“Why . . . you. . .” Jiyong stared at her menacingly as she threw her head laughing.

 

Then she put on a shocked façade. “D-D-Dara?! BWAHAHAHAHA!”

 

Jiyong grabbed on to her waists and tickled her. Dara was now practically lying on top of Jiyong as he continuously tickled and she kept on flailing left to right.

 

“KYAA! Jiyong! Stop it. HAHAHAHAHAHA.”

 

Meanwhile. . . TOP, who just came back from checking on Cheondoong, retreated from Dara’s room, hearing the usual laughter she used to have. It was good that the old Dara came back.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dara hummed a tune as she was in front of the kitchen counter. She was hoping that the food she prepared were delicious, unlike the porridge she prepared for TOP a few days ago. She knew it was salty and TOP just forced himself to look as if he found the food the most delicious in the world.

 

“You cooking?” a voice came behind her.

 

She almost jumped in her spot and dramatically clutched on her chest. “Ah, you scared me.”

 

Jiyong snatched a piece of kimbap and ate it.

 

“YAH! That is not yours!” Dara slapped his hand.

 

Jiyong scrunched his nose. “Salty . . . as usual.”

 

“WAA?!” Dara exclaimed and then sighed. She buried her face on her palms. “I’m such a failure.”

 

“Whose it for if it wasn’t for me, by the way?”

 

“Cheondoong.”

 

Jiyong groaned. “Cheondoong here, Cheondoong there,” Jiyong complained as he dropped himself on his seat. “Are you sure you only see him as a friend?”

 

“Jiyong,” Dara called in a warning tone and then she sighed. “Truthfully, I have this feeling that I want to take care of him, like I want to protect him. You know that feeling?” she asked Jiyong who nodded. “I feel like, Cheondoong is a brother to me.”

 

“Really?”

 

“Yeah,” she whispered. “Kind of pathetic right?”

 

“Of course not,” Jiyong consoled. He stood up right beside her. “I understand how you feel.”

 

Dara stared at him. “So, can I go see him? I want to bring him dinner. I’m sure he’s still working in that club and i—“

 

Jiyong stared at her furiously. “You’re not going anywhere.”

 

Dara pouted. “But, Jiyong. I need to see for myself if he’s really okay. Although Seunghyun-oppa already said that he was alright, I just can’t get this gnawing feeling off me. He might have gotten hurt or something. Also. . .”

 

“And you’re going to that club again?!”

 

“I won’t go there with my disguise on. I’ll go as a normal customer. But I won’t dance or flirt or anything. I swear. Just trust me, please?”

 

“Dara, it is still unsafe for you to go out, remember? What if my enemy comes after you again?”

 

Dara sighed. “I’ll be careful, I promise. I won’t take long. I’ll come back right away, I promise,” Dara said. However, Jiyong seemed unconvinced. “Ah! I’ll wear the disguise then! They wouldn’t know me in my disguise. I promise I won’t dress provocatively.”

 

Jiyong facepalmed himself. “I’ll come with you.”

 

Even though it wasn’t what Dara wanted, she exclaimed. “Thank you!”

 

Jiyong’s phone then rang. Dara watched his expression changed to a more serious one as he listened to the caller. He then sighed before hanging up.

 

“Wear the disguise really well and I’ll send you there. I need to meet the client. I’ll fetch you after the meeting.”

 

Dara’s eyes widened in excitement and she pinched his cheeks. “YOU.ARE.THE.BEST!”