Taking Care of Her

My Assassin Oppas

The sound of rain outside soothed Jiyong as his head leaned on the glass window. He watched as a drop of rain trickled down the glass. The same time that it reached the edge, he felt something wet and sticky falling on his hand. He looked to the side and chuckled, seeing Dara with open as she lightly snored while leaning her head on his shoulder. Another drop of drool fell on his hand again. Shaking his head, he pulled the sleeve of his shirt and wiped the drool from the side of . Dara seemed to have felt it because she closed and leaned closer to Jiyong, hugging his arm as if it was a pillow.

 

Jiyong chuckled again as he watched her sleep. “We’re going to find Sanghyun,” he whispered reassuringly. He then returned her gaze outside as they passed by the night streetlights, indicating that they just arrived in Seoul. Any moment now, they would be home.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Oh, you’re home?” Kush called out as he heard the door opening. He and TOP were lounging in the living room, watching a movie while Teddy was nowhere.

 

“Where did you go?” TOP asked.

 

Jiyong helped Dara removed her shoes as she just leaned on the wall, not able to answer TOP.

 

“Are you alright?” Jiyong asked as he stood up again.

 

Dara just nodded but her head was aching. However, she didn’t make it obvious to him. “Join them for a while. Or have a rest upstairs.”

 

He chuckled. “You’re saying that and you’re the one who’s not looking well.”

 

“I’m fine,” she said curtly, pushing Jiyong towards the living room.

 

“We’ve been waiting for dinner, Dara. Teddy isn’t home and we’re hungry,” Kush complained. “Could you cook us some ramyun please?”

 

Dara nodded tiredly, heading towards the kitchen. The moment she stepped inside, she fell to the ground, unconscious.

 

“Dara!!!” all three called her as they heard the commotion.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jiyong and TOP stared down as Dara slept on her bed, a piece of towel on her forehead.

 

“It seems like she has fever,” Jiyong said.

 

“Did you two play under the rain? Did you let her get wet under the rain?” TOP questioned.

 

Jiyong stared at him furiously. “You think I’m that careless of her? I lent her my jacket when we were on our way here.”

 

“Then why would she have a fever?”

 

Jiyong’s jaw tightened. “She lacked sleep last night, cleaning the mess we made in the kitchen for your birthday.”

 

“You should have helped her! It was your fault then.”

 

Jiyong raised a brow. “If you haven’t gone home wounded, she would have slept long and comfortable on her own bed instead of being on an unfamiliar bed, wouldn’t she?” he rolled his eyes when TOP stiffened. “Anyway, I think it was also fatigue. She went to Busan on her own this morning,” he paused, catching TOP’s attention. “She looked for her brother. She almost turned Busan up-side-down just to find her brother.”

 

TOP nodded as he understood. “Any information you got from looking for him?”

 

Jiyong shook his head. “Unfortunately, we didn’t have the time and materials to look for Sanghyun.”

 

“Sanghyun’s the name?” TOP asked and then he turned around. “I’m going out.”

 

“Where are you going?”

 

“I’ll try my luck to look for Sanghyun.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jiyong held Dara’s hand as her temperature didn’t go down yet. He was getting worried, even considering calling a doctor at this unholy hour. But he tried to stop himself from freaking out. He tried to calm himself.

 

He reapplied the compress on her forehead and arms again, trying to cool her down but it wasn’t helping. He was dying of worry. He couldn’t even sleep!

 

After a few minutes, he finally got tired and slept, while sitting on the floor and with Dara’s hand between his. He was able to sleep even in an uncomfortable position.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dara woke with a start as she felt the heat of the sun hitting her skin from outside the window. She looked to her side, to the clock, which said it was almost eight o’clock, only a few minutes for her to prepare to school. She immediately jumped to her closet to prepare and in just five minutes, she was flying downstairs. She passed by the kitchen where she heard a sound. She retraced her steps and took a peek, suspecting that it was a burglar, even in this broad daylight!

 

“Aish, crap,” it was TOP. He was facing the stove, with an apron on him.

 

“Oppa?”

 

There was another thud, like a pot falling to the sink, before TOP turned around.

 

“What are you doing, oppa?” Dara asked.

 

The stunned look on TOP’s face almost made Dara choke in laughter. But the stunned look changed into an angry one, making Dara stop laughing.

 

“What are you doing out of bed? Where are you going this early in the morning?”

 

“It’s not early anymore, though,” she said, staring at her watch, reminding her that she was late for school. “Omo, I’m late!”

 

But before she could even run away, TOP caught her by her collar and then he planted his palm on her forehead, with the other on his own.

 

“Your temperature seems normal now,” he said.

 

“What are you talking about?”

 

“You got fever last night. Jiyong couldn’t sleep, taking care of you,” he said and then added in a mumble while he was turning around. “I should have been the one taking care of you though.”

 

Dara was deep in her thought, not remembering when she got sick or Jiyong being with her all night. “He shouldn’t have tired himself too much.”

 

“Yeah, yeah, whatever. Just sit here and eat this porridge I tried to make. Well, at least, it looks like a porridge to me,” he said while he was busy preparing the table. As the table was set, he straightened up, about to call or reprimand Dara again but when he lifted his head, Dara wasn’t on her spot. “Aish, efforts wasted. She’s on her way to him again. What does that make of me?” he said, slumping on the seat. “I wonder what this porridge tastes like though,” he whispered. He grabbed a spoon and tasted it. He nodded and took another scoop. “Better than Dara’s, that’s for sure,” he said and then slumped back on his seat. “Eating alone sure is lonely.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dara ran as fast as she could on her way to school. She thought that Jiyong must be at school already. She needed to reprimand him for wasting his energy and time taking care of her, but deep inside, she was very happy and touched that Jiyong seemed to be concerned of her. Well, as always, but still…

 

It was during lunch time when Dara gave up looking for him because she just visited Jiyong’s classroom for the first time and looked for him. However, according to his classmates, he was absent.

 

At the bleachers, overlooking the soccer field, she ate her lunch. She didn’t really have an appetite so she just bought a burger and iced tea. As usual, she was alone eating but she didn’t mind. If only Jiyong would accompany her. He never did though, not even once.

 

After a while, in the far distance, she saw a familiar figure walking towards the bleachers, his hands deep inside his pockets and a hood over his head.

 

Dara’s eyes squinted as she tried to make out the figure. When he was close, Dara stood up and waved excitedly at him.

 

“Jiyooooong~! Jiyong, can you see me?!” she shouted across the field, causing some students looking back at her, but she didn’t mind.

 

When Jiyong reached her, he sat beside her and then stared furiously at her. She didn’t seem to notice it as she continued sipping on her iced tea.

 

“Is it true that you stayed up while taking care of me?” she asked, a giddy giggle following it.

 

Jiyong didn’t respond though.

 

“You shouldn’t have, you know. But whatever, thanks,” she said, trying to stop herself from smiling too much.

 

He didn’t respond again. Dara noticed the glare he was giving her so she sat closer to him and then poked his shoulder.

 

“You know this is the first time that you sat beside me in school. Should we take a picture?” she asked, giggling afterwards.

 

“Why are you giggling so much?” he asked.

 

“Why are you glaring so much?” she imitated his tone and glare. “Come on, let’s take a picture.”

 

When Dara was about to pull Jiyong close to her, the latter flicked her forehead. “How many times should I tell you that you should not eat those junk foods?”

 

“Psh, they’re delicious than healthy foods, you know. You should try some,” she said, pulling out another burger from her bag. “I was about to eat this one after class, but might as well give it to you so that you could try it. What do you say, hmm? Hmm?”

 

Jiyong pulled out something from his side. “Eat this. You’re all bones and flesh.”

 

Dara looked down at the bento box on her lap and then lifted her head to meet Jiyong’s gaze. “You cooked this?”

 

Jiyong looked away. “It’s… I… No, I bought it at a nearby restaurant.”

 

“Really? I never knew there was a restaurant selling a bento,” she said while opening it. She couldn’t help when her jaw dropped open when she saw all those yummy-looking foods staring up at her, as if telling her ‘eat me and you’ll be forever happy.’

 

There were foods like kimbap, dumplings, sushi, and a lot more.

 

“Waa, to be honest, I wasn’t really hungry until I saw all these God-given foods. Come, eat with me,” she said, picking up her chopsticks and getting a piece of kimbap, reaching it out towards Jiyong. “Here, open your mouth, hmm?”

 

Jiyong stared down at the food and then grabbed her hand and fed her instead.

 

“You need nutrients more than me. Look at your arm, it’s smaller than a stick,” he said.

 

Dara was about to counter an insult but was too busy munching the food, finally realizing how heavenly it tasted.

 

“Oh my gosh,” she said after swallowing it. “It’s so delicious! Out of this world, I may say,” she commented. She picked up another one and reached it out again to him. “You should try it. Come on, open your mouth.”

 

Jiyong hesitated but opened his mouth. He chewed for a while, looking at Dara’s expectant face.

 

“So? Isn’t it scrumptious beyond belief?” Dara asked.

 

“Hmmph, it’s okay,” he said.

 

“Okay?! What are you talking about?! It’s heavenly, okay? I could marry this restaurant’s chef,” she joked, continuing to eat, missing the second when a smile drew on Jiyong’s lips.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dara listened as Jiyong tunelessly whistled while he sat beside her. It was calming her, enjoying the quiet and empty soccer field. Suddenly, Jiyong laid his head on her lap. Dara looked down on him but he had his eyes closed already.

 

“Are we going to ditch class?” Dara asked.

 

“You didn’t get the hint when we didn’t stand up the moment the bell rang?” Jiyong asked sarcastically.

 

She shrugged, playing with his hair. “Just trying to make sure.”

 

“There’s something I have to ask,” Jiyong said.

 

“Go on,” she said, getting a rubber band and tying his hair with it. She giggled then.

 

“You shouldn’t have gone to school you know. Are you feeling much better?” Jiyong asked, opening his eyes.

 

Dara nodded and smiled down at him. “Thanks to you.”

 

Jiyong didn’t respond.

 

“I don’t know why I caught fever though.”

 

“You should be careful from now on,” Jiyong said.

 

“I will. I promise. If I get fever from being careless again, I’ll give you my front tooth,” she said.

 

Jiyong almost choked from laughing while lying down so he sat up and then stared at her. “What nonsense are you talking about?” he asked, still laughing. Dara could be so random most of the times.

 

“I don’t know. But at least I’ll be sure of myself that I won’t get fever carelessly again. You’ll get worried again. And you’ll lack sleep again.”

 

Jiyong stopped laughing then and pinched her nose. “I always lack sleep because of work, you idiot.”

 

“Owww,” she whined, holding on to her nose. “I know that. But when you lack sleep because of me, I feel guilty.”

 

“You don’t have to, you idiot,” Jiyong said, ruffling her hair.

 

“Yah!” she complained, fixing her hair again. “Yah, Jiyong. Don’t you think it would have been nice acting like we’re close even if we’re at school? Just like this?”

 

Jiyong’s smile faded from his lips and he looked away.

 

Dara noticed the tension in the air. “I’m kidding, of course,” she said, with a heavy heart. She meant what she said. She didn’t really understand what was stopping Jiyong to show everyone that they were close. “Yah! Look at me!”

 

When Jiyong turned, he was frowning. “What?!”

 

“Hehehe, your short hair looks like a cute palm tree,” she said, playing with Jiyong’s hair she tied with a rubber band, while trying to smile in front of him.

 

 

 

 

-----

 thank you monsterLea for the poster. :) hihi