The Chase

My Assassin Oppas

“I understand,” Jiyong said as he hung up the phone. He just met his current client a while ago. The meeting dragged on for hours and because the client requested to meet him all the way to Daegu, in his home, it was already early in the morning that Jiyong was able to arrive home.

 

He didn’t get out of his car for a while as he stared up at their house. This would be the first time that he would be leaving home for a long while because of his missions. The client’s enemy was in Japan at the moment and the client wanted Jiyong to finish his enemy off before he could even step back in Korea. In ordinary times, Jiyong could have disagreed; not wanting to leave home . . . or more specifically, he didn’t want to leave Dara. He was too paranoid to leave her alone. What might happen to her if he wasn’t around? His other brothers weren’t always around too. Most of the times, she would be alone at home.

 

However, this time, he accepted the job, placing the cash offered as his priority. He wasn’t usually swayed with money. Heck, he could even do a job even if it was only worth a hundred won or less. But right now, Dara needed money. And he didn’t want her to go back to that filthy job. Dara would be her topmost priority this time. He couldn’t help Dara with looking for Sanghyun, but at least, in his own way, he could help her financially. Besides, he had already planned on finishing the job quickly so that he could go back home immediately.

 

As the first rays of sun showed, Jiyong finally got off the car, to catch on his sleep. Gratefully, it was a Sunday.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The phone kept on ringing, annoying the sleepyhead who was only able to reach the couch last night before he dozed off to dreamland. He was tired last night and considering that it was a Sunday, he wanted to sleep the whole day before he could even go back to work later in the afternoon. But the phone kept on ringing, disturbing his sleep.

 

“WHAT?!” he shouted the moment he answered.

 

“YA! You dare shout on your mother, Cheondoong-ah?!” the ear-splitting voice came.

 

“Aish, Omma! Can’t you keep it down? I’m sure the neighbors will hear you with how loud you are,” he complained, rolling on the couch, still lazy to get up.

 

“Can’t I just check up on my son?! Aish, you should be at least grateful that I allowed you to live on your own,” she sobbed. “Even though I want you here with me, you’re all the way there at Seoul. Why don’t you come home, son?”

 

“Omma, are we going to have this conversation again?”

 

“But, over here, you won’t be working. You’ll have a comfortable life. You wouldn’t need to rent a small apartment.”

 

“Omma, I told you why I’m here, right? I hope you understand.”

 

“But, son, I miss you.”

 

“I do too, Omma. I’ll be home when I’ll find her,” he assured her.

 

“But, son, it has been three years since you looked for her,” there was a clear worry in her voice.

 

“I know. But I’m sure I’ll find her soon,” he said.

 

There was silence before she spoke again. “I’m sure you will. You’ll find your sister.”

 

“Thanks, Omma,” he said before hanging up. He sighed as he sat straight on his couch. He then stood up and headed to his bed. He pulled out a small box from under his bed. He opened it and pulled out a torn picture and a silver ring.

 

“Noona, I hope you’re doing fine,” he muttered, smiling down at his three-year old self on the picture. He wondered where his father was, whether he was still alive or not. He didn’t really remember his face, or his sister’s face. He was too young to remember and it was just another burden because with him not remembering, it would be harder for him to search for her. He could only wish that she was also looking for him too. “Sandara-noona,” he whispered.

 

Two years in Busan didn’t really pay off and now, being in Seoul for a year, he was starting to lose hope. A year had passed but it didn’t seem as if she wasn’t here either. He once thought that she might have flown to other countries or something. Once, he even thought worse. What if she was dead?

 

He cringed. He didn’t want that. Of course not. She might also have been searching for him. And he believed that along the way, they would meet.

 

There were times he felt hopeless . . . until last night.

 

If only I would be able to find my brother, then my family would be complete,” the stranger’s voice resonated inside his head.

 

She was also looking for her brother. He was looking for his sister. Could it be a coincidence? It could be. But, he couldn’t help but feel hopeful. She might be his sister.

 

He only needed to know her name. Or dig up more to who she really was. And then, it would be safer to assume that she was his sister.

 

“Sandara-noona, we’ll meet soon,” he whispered before keeping the ring and the picture back into the box.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jiyong got out of the bathroom with the towel wrapped around his waist, and another he used to dry his hair. He went to his closet and picked a pair of jeans. He then wore it. He looked for his favorite black shirt but didn’t find it anywhere.

 

“Huh? Where did I put it?” he asked while looking around. Without anything on top, he walked out and went towards the laundry room where he heard Dara would be washing clothes. She might have washed his shirt.

 

However, the laundry room was empty. But the dryer was on. He found a basket of dry clothes on the side and so he decided to look for it there. However, he didn’t find it. He waited for the clothes that were being dried off. Maybe his shirt was included there.

 

The dryer slowed down. When it came to a full stop, he opened it and one by one, he pulled out the clothes.

 

“Aish, where the hell is it?” he complained while he kept on looking.

 

“YAH! What are you doing?!” came Dara’s shriek.

 

Jiyong turned around and saw Dara munching on a sandwich. She immediately bended down and got the basket of clothes from Jiyong and pushed him away.

 

“What’s wrong with you?” he asked.

 

Dara quickly pulled the contents from the dryer and brought the basket out of the room.

 

“YAH!” Jiyong shouted. “Aish, I was looking for my black shirt. Have you seen it?”

 

Dara put the basket down and quickly searched through. She then stood up and handed him his shirt. “Here you go,” and then she walked away with the basket.

 

Jiyong frowned as she stared at her. “What’s wrong with her?” he asked, and decided to follow her.

 

Dara was folding the clothes one by one while she watched her favorite drama on TV. However, she didn’t notice Jiyong standing behind her.

 

“Aish, just tell her you love her already,” she complained as she frustratingly watched and folded the clothes all at the same time.

 

“Maybe he has his reasons,” Jiyong whispered directly on her ear.

 

“Kyaaaa!” Dara jumped on her place, surprised. She even threw the sweater she was folding away. “You scared me! YA! Why aren’t you still wearing something? Didn’t I just give you your shirt?”

 

Jiyong picked up the sweater she dropped and showed it to her. “Whose sweater is this?”

 

“Eh?”

 

“I don’t recognize this sweater.”

 

“Hmp, what would you know?” she asked, snatching the sweater from his grip and then hiding a pair of jogging pants she folded a while ago behind her.

 

“I do know. I sometimes help you with the laundry, right? So, I got familiar with the clothes here.”

 

“Aish, it’s Kush-oppa’s. It’s new,” she said. “Aish, just put your shirt on, alright?”

 

Jiyong side-glanced her, realizing that the sweater was too small to be Kush’s. “Where were you last night?”

 

Dara’s hands stopped folding. “Heh, what are you talking about? I’m at home, doing my homework.”

 

Jiyong placed his fingers on his chin. “Seeing this, it makes me wonder how I could even leave you here. I feel the need to guard you but I can’t.”

 

Dara looked up. “You’re leaving? Where are you going?”

 

Jiyong turned around. “I’ll have TOP-hyung guard you. I’ll be home on Thursday or earlier . . . hopefully.”

 

Dara frowned. “This’ll be your first time being away,” she whispered when he went upstairs. After a while, he came down with his luggage.

 

“You’re going to be home immediately right?” Dara asked.

 

Jiyong smiled down at her. He ruffled her hair. “Behave at school and here alright? Call me when you need something. I’ll fly home right away. Anyway, I’ll have TOP-hyung guard you.”

 

Dara nodded and stared at Jiyong’s retreating back as he walked towards the cab. When the cab started, Jiyong rolled down his window and waved.

 

“I’ll call you every night,” he shouted back as Dara waved at him.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

She was running like a madman on the hallways of the school because she was sure she was already late and that she would be scolded again for being clumsy and late again. It sure was difficult not having Jiyong around. There was no one to wake her up early, no one to tell her to take a bath and eat her breakfast quickly, and no one to drive her to school. Yep! It sure is difficult.

 

She passed by her locker, expecting a bunch of idiotic fan messages and gifts for Jiyong. But there were none. It was always like that every day, so it was odd having an empty locker today. Shrugging, she continued going her way towards her room.

 

“Whoo~ I’m sorry I’m late, Professor!” she greeted her hand in a salute position as if she was a soldier. She was panting hard as she went to her seat. As soon as she was seated, she noticed all the glares and chatters between her classmates. It wasn’t anything odd though so she shrugged and grabbed her notes.

 

 

 

 

She walked along the hallways, not knowing where to go to pass her time. Along the way, she met a bunch of girls who blocked her way like they owned the school.

 

“Yes?” Dara asked, with a fake smile on, expecting some gifts from them for Jiyong.

 

“You like playing with us that much eh?” the girl in the middle said.

 

“Um, I’m playing with you? What kind of game?” she asked awkwardly.

 

They scoffed. “It’s not funny. Why did you throw all those gifts for Oppa?”

 

“What?!” she asked back.

 

“What would you feel when your being thrown things at eh? We felt exactly that way when we saw our gifts for oppa in the garbage.”

 

“What, I didn’t do such thing. Don’t go accusing me of those things,” Dara said defensively.

 

“Who else would throw them out if not you? You seem to be so close to Oppa, it’s unbelievable that he’s your brother.”

 

Dara pursed her lips. That’s because we aren’t siblings at all, you idiot. We don’t share a drop of blood.

 

“How would you feel being thrown things at, eh?” then they started throwing all those fan gifts they prepared for Jiyong. Dara fell on her , covering her head from the things thrown at her – boxes of chocolates, bouquet of flowers. As she couldn’t take the pain anymore, she stood up and decided to flee.

 

She ran and ran, not knowing where her feet would lead her too. She looked behind them and was surprised to see the girls running after her. Their number even multiplied!

 

She ran faster, feeling her legs ache.

 

If only Jiyong was here, she thought. She then smacked her head for thinking of him at a time like this. She should learn to be independent! She couldn’t rely on him all the time.

 

Without notice, she was able to run outside the school. Outside, it was better because of the crowd of people. She could just slip in between them and camouflage as one of the crowd. But the girls kept on running after her.

 

“Why are they so angry?!” she shouted at no one in particular, causing unwanted glances from the people in the streets.

 

She ran until she bumped into someone who scolded and cursed on her loudly. He didn’t even help her up. This innocent little girl named Dara even thought she was wrong and kept on apologizing, momentarily forgetting that she was being chased.

 

When she remembered, she looked behind her, still not standing up, seeing the bunch of girls shouting at her even at a far distance.

 

Clumsily, she stood up, tripping for a while before continuing on running, not minding all the people she bumped into.

 

Just then, she felt someone pulling her. She didn’t have the time to react as was already covered and her hands were behind her.

 

She tried speaking through covered mouth but the person shushed her. She couldn’t look at the face of the person who pulled her into this narrow alley because she had her back on him.

 

After a while, the girls who were chasing her passed by and they didn’t even notice her in this alley. She sighed after was released. She also heard a sigh of relief from behind her. Instinctively, she turned around, feeling vigilant. But to her relief, she didn’t need to be.

 

“Cheondoong-ssi!” she shrieked.

 

“Sssh!” he motioned to his lips. “There might still be some who haven’t passed by,” he said and then he held on to her wrist and pulled her through the narrow alley until they were out into the crowded streets.

 

Cheondoong faced her. “Are you alright?”

 

Dara chuckled and flashed him her two fingers. “Twice. You saved me twice already,” she said and then looked at the small restaurant behind him. “Wanna eat?”

 

 

 

 

[poster credits to Chiyomi :)]