Kim Taeyeon, Master Assassin

Forbidden Love (Hiatus)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The young man was standing tall, holding his sword, drenched in blood of the enemy he had slain. After a long and grueling battle, he had finally struck down his opponent with one swift movement of his blade. He looked down on the lifeless body underneath him, silently praying for his soul to be at peace. Members of his clan came and were astonished as they saw him kneel beside the corpse, closing it’s eyes. A tall and burly man clad in black clothing approached him and placed his hand on the young man’s shoulder. The young man stood up and bowed in respect to the black-clothed warrior.

 

“You amaze us yet again, Taeyeon.” The taller man patted him on the shoulder. “You have done the unthinkable as not only did you best the leader of the Tiger clan in battle, you have taken his life as well.”

 

“It was nothing, seonsaengnim. I only did what I was ordered to do.” The young man re-sheathed his sword and removed the mask concealing a very youthful and handsome face.

 

“You should be proud, because your clan definitely is. And please, call me ‘hyung.’” Taeyeon’s superior noticed a red liquid trickling down his cheek. “Oh? Looks like someone has finally left a mark on you.” The older man pointed to the cut on his cheek.

 

Taeyeon placed his hand on the wound, feeling the warm blood oozing from it. He felt pain but he had already grown accustomed to the sensation, so he ignored it. “This was not of the man’s ability. He fought like a child, letting his emotions get the best of him. I on the other hand was careless to let his blade touch me.”

 

The taller man laughed at Taeyeon’s seriousness. “You take things to seriously, Taeyeon. Lighten up, my friend. People make mistakes, all you have to do now is to not repeat it the next time you go in combat.”

 

“I will be sure to remember that, Siwon-hyung.” Taeyeon gave another low bow. “If you’ll excuse me, I shall take my leave now. Please take care of the mess accordingly.” Siwon nodded and signaled two of his fighters to dispose of the body. Taeyeon was called out again by his superior and abruptly stopped.

 

“Oh, the headmaster wanted me to deliver this message.” Taeyeon did not turn around but he was surely listening. “He wants you to come to the palace shrine tomorrow morning. He has decided that you are to join the ranks of our brothers and become a Master Assassin. Also, you are to forge your own sword and give it a proper name.”

 

Taeyeon looked back and nodded. “Please tell the master that I will surely come tomorrow at the earliest.” After saying what he needed to say, he climbed up one of the horses and began his journey back home.

 

After a few hours’ worth of travel, Taeyeon had finally reached their village. He took a deep breath as he would always do when he came back from a mission or a battle. The scent of mugunghwa always made him feel relieved of the guilt he had everytime he took the life of someone else. Taeyeon reminisced all of the past battles and assignments he had partaken. He heard the screams of all the men and women he had killed in those past conflicts. All of these haunted him every night in his sleep. He broke himself from his trance, got down from his stead and walked back to his house. Taeyeon bathed and cleaned himself as he arrived and kneeled in front of a small altar after he finished.

 

“Omoni. Aboji.” He bowed down to the two portraits in the middle of the lit candles. “I have taken another life yet again. I keep on asking for your forgiveness that I might be reprieved of the guilt and the nightmares my actions give me, but it does not seem to change anything.” Taeyeon took out a small glass and poured makgeolli into it. After placing it in front of his father’s picture, he pulled out a small flower from his knapsack and placed it in front of the other image. “I know that this was not the life that you wished for me, but that is the price to pay when you have been born into one of the Nine Clans.” He looked back to when his father was sent into the battlefield, his mother grieving over his death after the war. “I am to be promoted tomorrow, aboji, just like you. I hope that I have made both you and omoni proud. May your souls rest in peace.” Taeyeon kissed the altar and bowed one last time before going to sleep.

 

Screams of fear and pain could be heard from the small village. Taeyeon saw his comrades slaughter everyone without discretion. Men and women, even the little children were cut down. He could not bear to look at the gruesome sight yet he found himself standing over a pile of dead bodies, his blood-stained sword in his hand, plunged into one of the corpses. He tried running away but with every turn he took, all he could see were lifeless bodies and burning houses. Some of the villagers had found him and charged towards him. Taeyeon was forced to defend himself. One by one, his opponents fell to his blade. Just as he was about to strike down the last of his adversaries, one snuck up behind him and stabbed him from the back.

 

“GUH!” Taeyeon woke up from his slumber, sweating and panting heavily from his recent nightmare. “They are getting worse with each day that passes by. When will these accursed nightmares end? When will I be rid of them?” He lied back down on his bed and slowly fe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter