Chapter 4

My Love, My Fate

 

                Taemin and Minho sat at the living room in silence as they tried to absorb the information. Minho couldn’t accept this, first this kid comes into his life and forces his umma to use the earrings he gave her for Christmas and then he’s Minho’s fiancé. For all Minho knows, he could be trying to marry into this family just to get money, well Minho’s not going to make it that easy for him.

                Taemin sat frozen, he knew that he was gay, but was Minho? Would he be willing to marry someone he barely knew? Even though Taemin does find him handsome and his body underneath his clothing look nice, he can’t just suddenly marry a guy he only knew for a few hours.

                “Umma, I can’t and I won’t accept this marriage. I’m not even gay, how can you expect me to marry a guy?!” Minho exploded, he usually listens to his parents well, but this time, it’s about his future.

                “Minho, it’s not your choice. When Taemin’s parents were still alive, we made an agreement to marry our children. Besides, Taemin’s beautiful for a boy and it’s not like gay marriage is forbidden” Yoon hee tried to reason with him, but it appears that nothing’s going into his head. Dong hoon decided to help his wife out a bit.

                “Minho, you will accept this marriage or else I’ll terminate your position as the vice president of our company. You know I stay true to my words. Taemin’s parents took care of us really well in the past and now they’re not here, it’s our responsibility to take care of their son for them” Minho sat back down on the couch, no matter how much he hates this, all his hard work to reach up to that position was worth more than this stupid marriage.

                “Do whatever you want, I’m going back to my room” and with that, Minho went upstairs to his room and slammed the door, making Taemin jump.

                “Taemin, are you okay with this decision? Your umma and appa agreed to it when they were still alive. I know it’s a bit sudden for you, but I think it would be best for the both of you. Minho can finally settle down, after all those girls we found for him; he had rejected each and every one of them. Also for you, even though we’re not your real family, we would love you as our own son” Taemin started to tear up. Ever since his umma had died, no one was as loving as Yoon hee and Dong hoon.

                “Madam, was this the other job you were telling me about? I would do anything to pay you back for the earrings. They appear to mean a lot to your son, I’m sorry for you having to use those on me. I’m not worth that much” Taemin bowed deeply, he felt honoured that someone would spend so much on him, but the money wasn’t his so no matter what, he would have to pay it back.

                “It quite all right, Taemin. It’s not like you forced me to pay for you, it was my choice. By the way, do you want to go back to school or go to work with Minho? I’m afraid that if you stay home too much, you might get bored” Taemin was surprised they would give him a choice; he thought they would force him to work so he could pay back what he owed them.

                “It’s been a while since I’ve went to school so I don’t think I would be able to catch up. I would prefer to go to work so I could earn some money, it’s not right for me to live and eat here for free” ever since he was living with his step father, he had never had a chance to go back to school, he was way behind so there was no point for him to try to catch up.

                “Ok, it’s decided then. Tomorrow, you will go with Minho to our company and you’re position will be Minho’s personal assistant. He’s pretty hard to work with so either they were fired or they resigned. Hopefully you would be able to help him out” Dong hoon had witnessed many of Minho’s assistant running out in tears or just leaving a letter on his desk, he really hoped that Taemin would change him.

                “Come on Taemin, I’ll show you to your room” Taemin grabbed his small bag and followed Yoon hee upstairs, he watched as she opened the door and he followed her in. He looked around; it was a nice room with a queen size bed, enough to fit two people comfortably. Just as he was about to sit on the bed, someone came out of the washroom.

                “What are you doing here? Get out of my room” Minho yelled at Taemin who immediately stood up and was about to run out of room if Yoon hee didn’t catch him.

                “Minho, from today, this room is going to be yours and Taemin’s room. Since you’re going to be married soon, I don’t see any problem with sharing a room. You also have a queen size bed, play nice and share” she gently kissed Taemin’s head and closed the door on them, leaving Taemin standing in the room with Minho.

                “I’m sorry for suddenly intruding into your life, Minho hyung. Your appa said tomorrow I’m going to follow you to work and I’ll be your personal assistant, please look after me” Taemin bowed but Minho just ignored him, he just wanted him out of his sight. Minho was trying to put on his shirt when one of button on the sleeves got caught, Taemin ran up and helped Minho put on his shirt. He was happy that at least he was able to help Minho that much. When Minho turned around, Taemin couldn’t help but stare at his body, the hard abs look so good to the touch. Suddenly Taemin felt arms around his waist, he looked up and saw Minho smirking at him, and their faces were only inches apart.

                “Like what you see? I’m not surprised with such a like you. You know why I hate you so much? First you barge into my life and started taking things away from me. You know those earrings were the first present I ever got my umma with my hard earned money, and then when you appear, she didn’t even think about it and use on a trash like you. I’m not going to let you take my parents away from me just because yours died” Minho heard him gasped and he pushed Taemin away and watched as he collapsed on the floor. Taemin had tears flowing down his face, he quickly grabbed his bag and was about to run out the room when it opened and Minho’s umma appeared.

                “Taemin! Why are you crying?! Did Minho bully you?” Yoon hee glared at Minho as she pulled Taemin into a tight hug and started his hair.

                “No, madam. Minho didn’t bully me, I was clumsy and stubbed my toe on the bed, I was crying from the pain” Taemin said as he tried to control his sobs. Yoon hee smiled at his cuteness and brought him down to the bed again where Minho was already lying in.

                “I forgot that you didn’t have anything else to wear so I brought some of Minho’s old clothes. He’s outgrown them but I’m sure it’s going to fit you” Taemin gladly accepted the clothes and toothbrush before bowing as Yoon hee exited the room. Taemin slowly went into the bathroom and started to change. He looked at himself in the mirror and his fingers carefully traced over the scars and bruises that were inflicted on him by his step father. No one had ever seen them and he wanted to keep it that way. He looked at his right hand which was throbbing a little when he fell on the floor; it was bandaged up so nicely, he started to feel tears flowing again, he didn`t deserve all this kindness.

                When Taemin was done in the bathroom, he entered the bedroom and saw Minho already lying on the bed. Taemin slowly crept towards the bed and was about to get on the bed when he felt someone kick him to the floor.

                “Don’t even think about lying on my bed. I am never going to accept you as my fiancé, from now on; you’re going to sleep on the floor. You don’t deserve to sleep beside me” and with that, Minho turned off the lights, leaving Taemin standing in the dark. Taemin was always afraid of the dark so before in his old house, he would always have his night light on. Taemin tried to sleep on the floor but it was too cold and hard, Minho didn’t even give him a blanket. After an hour passed, Taemin still wasn’t able to fall asleep so he decided to go to the bathroom and maybe washing his face with warm water would relax him a bit more and warm him up. He stepped into the bathroom and noticed that the tiles were heated, making his feet all warm and toasty. There were so many light switches that Taemin didn’t know which switch was for what so he started to randomly press them. It was only after the third switch that he realized it the lights underneath the counter, creating a dim light similar to his night light. He decided to lie down sleep in there since it was way warmer than Minho’s floor and the counter light helped with his fear of the dark. Within a few minutes, Taemin had already drifted asleep. If anyone else was in the room, they would notice that Taemin was crying in his sleep.