Chapter 3

My Love, My Fate

 

As promised Minho and his appa got home early to enjoy Yoon hee’s cooking. However, there was one thing that they weren’t expecting, a boy wearing Minho’s old clothes, sitting in the living room. Taemin’s back was facing them and he was sitting on the couch watching the show that Yoon hee had for him.

                “Excuse me, but who are you?” the sudden voice startles Taemin and caused him to drop his bowl of crackers on the ground, shattering it. Taemin squeaked in surprise as he turned around and saw two unfamiliar people standing in front of him. His expression turned from shock to fear as he looked at the broken bowl on the floor and the mess he has made. Dong hoon stepped forward and to talk to the boy, but Taemin was scared that he might be like his step-father. He immediately got up and tried to find for a place to hide.

                “I’m sorry! I’m sorry! Please don’t hit me! Don’t hit me!’ Taemin cried as he cowered on the floor.

                “What’s wrong with him, appa? Who let him in here?” Minho asked as he continued to look at the crying boy, he looked so pathetic. When Yoon hee came into the room, she placed a hand on Taemin’s shoulder, causing him to turn in alarm and as a result, his right hand landing on the broken glass.

                “Oh my! Taemin! I didn’t mean to scare you, are you ok?” Yoon hee gently sat Taemin down on the couch and looked at his hand; a piece of glass had cut into his palm. A maid immediately brought the first-aid kit and started applying the disinfectant.

                “I-It hurts” Taemin whimpered as he kept on trying to pull his hand away but the maid had a good grip on him. She didn’t let go until his wound was nicely bandaged up. Minho and his appa was still silently sitting on the couch, watching all of this happening. They don’t know who this boy was and why Yoon hee was being so nice to him. Yoon hee brought them all over to the dinner table and told them to sit down and try out her cooking. Dong hoon and Minho immediately started shovelling food into their mouth while Taemin sat quietly, looking at his food.

                “What’s wrong, Taemin? You don’t like to food?” Taemin shook his head.

                “I love the food, madam. It’s just that I’ve had this much food for a meal before” Taemin smiled before slowly picking up his spoon with his left hand and eating it. For some reason, it tasted like his umma’s cooking which caused him to start crying again.  Yoon hee went over and hugged Taemin while his hair.

                “Yeobo, I don’t mean to be rude or anything, but who is he? How did he get here?” even Minho was curious, even though the boy looked cute, he was still a stranger to them.

                “Why don’t we finish eating and then talk about it after? I think everyone’s hungry by now” and just at that moment, Minho’s stomach growled which cause Taemin to have a small smile on his face. As soon as they finished eating, they went out to the living room. Minho and his appa were sitting on one couch while Taemin and Yoon hee was sitting on the other.

                “So, can someone finally tell me what’s going on?” Dong hoon looked at his wife and expected an answer.

                “Yeobo, remember our friends Minae and Daehyun?” Dong hoon nodded while Minho still looked confused.

                “Who are those people? Are we related to them?” Minho asked as he saw the boy’s eyes getting teary at the mention of the two names.

                “Yeobo, this is their son, Lee Taemin” Dong hoon’s eyes widen, now when he looked at Taemin’s feature, he was able to see Minae’s features in them. Yoon hee started telling the story that Taemin had told her since he was still sobbing too hard to talk. She talked about how Minae died from illness and Daehyun from a car accident. It was to the point when Yoon hee talked about his step father that she felt Taemin shaking beside her. Yoon hee hugged him again and tried to soothe his cries, feeling her heart breaking from seeing Taemin like this.

                “Wow, I can’t believe our friends just left us like that, but how can we be so sure that this is their son, and how did you find him?” Yoon hee didn’t think of that, she just thought that he was Minae’s son based on his features.

                “Taemin, do you have anything that belongs to your umma and appa? It’s not that we don’t trust you, we just want to trust you” Taemin nodded and walked over to the side of the coffee table where he picked up his little bag that he had with him. He had trouble opening it with just one hand Minho took it and opened it. He slowly took item out and placed them on the table. First item was a picture frame and in the picture, it was when Taemin was still a toddler, around 3 years old. Holding him was Minae and standing beside her was Daehyung. Taemin looked really adorable as a child, he still does. Minho continued to take out items; the next item he grabbed was shirt, pants, and underwear. That was it in the bag.

                “Where’s your other things Taemin? Do you want us to go back to your house to get it?” Taemin shook his head.

                “This is all I have left” he quietly said before taking his underwear and hiding it, embarrassed that someone was actually touching it. Everyone was shocked, they all had closets full of clothes and they still think it’s not enough. While Taemin only have one extra pair of clothing, Taemin smiled at them before gathering his stuff back into his lap.

                “Yeobo, how did you locate him? Even the private investigator couldn’t!” Yoon hee didn’t know whether she should tell them or not but decided to anyways.

                “I found Taemin at an auction house; he was being auctioned off to be someone’s plaything! I couldn’t do that so I used my earrings and I bought him back home” upon hearing this, Minho was angry.

                “Umma! I bought those earrings for you for Christmas, how could you just give them away?!” Taemin flinched at the sound of Minho’s voice; it was how his stepfather’s voice would sound like when he’s getting ready to beat Taemin.

                “I had to, Minho! He’s very precious to us; I had to get him back!” Yoon hee knew that the earrings were meant a lot to Minho, but Taemin meant a lot to their family.

                “He’s just a kid, what’s so important about him?” Minho didn’t know why he was throwing such a tantrum, but seeing his umma taking care of Taemin and cooing over him was making him jealous.

                “Enough Minho, I know why your umma did this. Taemin may be a kid, but he’s also your future wife!”