.

Dysfunctional Relationship

Jessica woke up on the first day of summer break. It was a feeling of freedom to breathe in the fresh summer air in the morning. She got dressed quickly and walked downstairs, apparently she was the only one awake. She made some tea to have for breakfast and drank it quickly while cleaning up some in the kitchen. She then went out to get the mail, while she stood there scanning quickly through useless commercial and bills she realized her new neighbours had gotten theirs up too. She walked closer to read the little silver plate on it. "Kwon Family" it simply said, so that's their name she thought to herself. Now there were three Kwon family's on their street. She walked back towards her own house but dropped a tiny pink little note on the way. She furrowed her brows and picked it up. "Smile Blondie" it simply said. Jessica stared at it. She was currently the only blonde in the family. She looked around suspiciously as if the author of the note would be close by. The street was empty. She put it in her pocket, feeling slightly uneasy about it. Then she walked inside.

- There you are ! Her mother ran past her forcing a whole sandwich down .

- Wiwwh yuw wack systa furr meys ? She looked at Jessica.

- What ?! Jessica starred at her as she struggled to swallow.

- Krystal.

- Krystal what ?! Jessica laughed.

- Can you wake her ? Aish I have to run ! Bye honey ! Her mother rushed out of the house.

Jessica laughed to herslef at her mother. As she was told to she went to wake up Krystal. Her sister was laying like a princess in her sleep, nothing like Jessica's messy ways of sleeping. Hair in a mess and limbs tangled, no Krystal slept as if she was in a monitor at a museum. Jessica laughed again at her silly thought seeing Krystal laying like a mummy in a museum. That had her sister carefully and slowly opening her eyes to look at Jessica.

- What are you doing ? She laughed.

- Oh it- Jessica kept laughing.

- Just a funny thought. She calmed herself and smiled.

Krystal got out of bed and they chatted for a while before she went on to take a shower. Jessica stood still in Krystal's room wondering what she should do now. She hadn't planned anything for summer so she wriggled uncomfortably and looked around. Then she decided she couldn't stand here forever so she went down and out in the yard. She kicked some stones around and mumbled a song to herself. She looked to her side and froze. Without thinking about it she had stared directly to her neighbours window. And she met someone's gaze, Yuri's. Yuri kept standing still as if she didn't see Jessica but Jessica knew she could since she was starring right at her. Neither of them broke eyecontact for a while and Jessica was pretty sure she stopped breathing for a while as they stood still. Then as unexpectadly as their contact had been in the first place Yuri opend her window and waved at her. Jessica turned fully to her side and waved automatically at the other girl. Yuri signed that she was coming down and Jessica nodded slowly. A few minutes later Yuri climbed over the fence to Jessica's garden and walked over to her.

- What are you doing ? She said.

- Nothing.

- Ok.

- Mm.

Jessica looked around, uncomfortable to holding eyecontact for so long. She heard her front door open and shut and realized Krystal must've gone out. She looked in that direction but was unable to see anything.

- Do you want to help me with something ? Yuri asked out of the blue, interupting Jessica's thoughts.

- Eh...what ?

- Will you help me ?

- Well...sure. Jessica said, unsure to what she had just agreed to.

- Good, come with me. Yuri took Jessica's hand and turned around.

Jessica blushed and stared at Yuri's hand that was pulling her along somewhere. She had already figured Yuri wasn't the shy type but this was still unexpected. Maybe Jessica was overreacting but the only persons she used to hold hands with was Krystal and Tiffany and she had known them forever. Now this girl that she knew nothing about was pulling her along and she felt an excited tingle in her heart. Jessica realized they were walking around the block where Tiffany lived and just as they passed a corner around a basketball court she saw a flip of red hair swing in the sunshine. As if she had eyes in her neck the red head swung around and faced Jessica's and Yuri's direction. Tiffany didn't hesitate before she waved at them.

- Hi, Jessica ! She called and jumped towards the two girls.

Yuri stopped abruptly and that caused Jessica to smash in to her back. Jessica stepped back quickly and her hand fell out of Yuri's grip. Yuri spun around and looked at her for a second and then she laughed. Jessica smiled awkwardly.

- Hello Fany ! She hugged Tiffany who just jumped up by their side.

- Hi, I'm Tiffany ! Tiffany smiled at Yuri.

- Yuri. The girl answerd.

- Oh so you live next to Jessi ? Woah you really look like your sister ! Tiffany said amazed.

- Yes. Yuri snorted and looked away.

Tiffany looked at Jessica with a confused expression and Jessica shook her head. She didn't understand why Yuri reacted like that either.

- Uhm...so where are you going anyway ? She asked then.

- Eh...I don't know. Jessica looked at Yuri for help but the other girl just gave her a cold look.

- Nowhere special...

Tiffany looked even more confused and a bit suspicious and there was further tension between her and Yuri. Then Yuri sighed as if she gave up.

- To my old place, to get some of my last stuff. Jessica is helping me. Yuri said and smiled for a second before her face grew back to be expressionless.

Tiffany was just about to answer when something swished by, and hit Jessica directly in the head. Jessica stumbled a step back and it took a while before she realized what had happend. A basketball had struck her. She looked around angrily for the person who had thrown it. Before she could see it someone bursted out laughing.

- Hahahahaha. Yuri laughed loudly and covered .

- Oh my god you s ! Tiffany shouted as another ball came rolling towards them.

Jessica rubbed her forehead and rearranged her fringe to cover the possible bruise. She picked up the ball and threw it at Yuri.

- Glad to see someone takes pleasure in my misery ! She spat angrily at Yuri.

This had Yuri just laughing even harder and Jessica felt the corners of her lips curl up too. Yuri had caught the ball she threw at her so Jessica picked up the other one. She suddenly started laughing too leaving Tiffany looking at them with worry.

- You looked so hilarious ! Yuri tried to stop laughing and started playing with the ball.

- I feel hilarious. Jessica sighed happily.

- Are you ok ? Tiffany stared at her.

- Sure sure. Jessica smiled reasuringly.

Tiffany still didn't look convinced so Jessica threw her the ball.

- They should watch out though.

Jessica pouted and pretended to feel hurt.

- Yes ! Tiffany turned around, her worried expression swaped to an angry one.

She kicked the ball their way and shouted a long line of curses at them. This had caught Yuri's attention away from the ball and she looked at the boys on the other side of the court as well. Then, just as unexpected as everything else she did, she threw the ball at them. Flying with a much better precision than Tiffany's it hit one of the boys in the back and Tiffany gasped and put her hands on . Jessica dropped her jaw and just stared.

- Are you crazy ?! Tiffany looked at Yuri.

- We have to go. Yuri simply said and walked off.

- What the- Tiffany lost the rest of the words and turned to Jessica with a shocked expression.

Jessica shrugged and hoped the boys wouldn't get angry since Tiffany probably knew them. Tiffany just shook her head then.

- She is weird, Jessi.

Jessica shrugged sheepishly again and looked over to the street where Yuri stood waiting for her.

- Oh well, bye, come to my party on friday ok. Tiffany gave Jessica a serious look.

Jessica nodded and Tiffany turned and walked over to the boys. Jessica hesitantly went up to Yuri, casting several glances back at Tiffany before she layed her attention on Yuri for real. Yuri just stood there watching Jessica for a while with a look that made Jessica think she was angry with her. However she didn't have any time to ask before Yuri started walking. Jessica quickly followed, walking a bit behind her.

What felt like just a moment later must've been several hours later because Jessica realized the sun was setting down. Their surroundings were fully covered in bright orange and pink lightning. This had her thinking about the note she had received, it suddenly hit her that it was most likely from one of the two people she had met today. Either Tiffany or Yuri... She looked at the latter and somehow looking at Yuri's back walking in front of her against the vivid light made her smile. She felt childish doing so but she couldn't help herself. She jumped up beside Yuri and glanced at her.

- Is it much longer ?

Yuri slowly turned her head to Jessica. Jessica felt blushed and felt shy so she turned away and smiled at the sunlight instead. She could feel Yuri's gaze lingering on her for a few seconds before the other girl stopped.

- Actually, this is it.

Jessica stopped too and looked at the house, she was shocked it was so much bigger and nicer than Yuri's new one.

- What on earth made you move ?! Jessica turned to look at Yuri.

Yuri just smirked.