Chapter 2

Bigger than Love

 

The first day of work was just a day away. Baekhyun had yet to tell Yixing the good news though. He made a phone call to his friend and waited for him to answer.

 

“Yixing is not here. *beep*”

 

“Oh, I guess Yixing’s busy with something then. I’ll tell him another time. I still can’t believe I got hired! I can’t wait to start work! I wonder when I can start eating their food for free. Hmm, hopefully it won’t take too long; I’m running low on money this week after spending it all on those new Krispy Panda snacks.”

 

Baekhyun’s mom stood outside of Baekhyun’s room door, holding a basket of his laundry. “He’s talking to himself again…………….I’ll leave this outside his door…”

 

Not only did his mom find Yixing weird, she also found her own son weird. He wasn’t as weird before, but after he met Yixing, he became weirder by the day.

 

 

The day Baekhyun awaited was now here. The first day of work!

 

Oh myyyyy, I’m so excited!!!!!

 

Baekhyun was assigned to the cashier since he proclaimed that he was excellent with money. He obviously wasn’t though since he would always be broke by the end of the week. He went to work and received his uniform from his boss. It was an orange colour polo shirt with the restaurant’s logo on it. All he had to wear was a black pair of slacks.

 

“You know how to operate one of these, right?” asked his boss, pointing at the cash register in front of him.

 

Baekhyun nodded and explained how to do it just to prove to his boss that he knew how to do it.

 

Alright! First day of work is going good so far! Now to wait for some customers to arrive!

 

Just seconds later he felt a presence beside him. Kim Jongin was standing beside him now. Baekhyun glanced over to look at the male. He was wearing the same uniform but in a much smaller size. It didn’t really embarrass Baekhyun to stand beside him but it made him uncomfortable. It wasn’t like Baekhyun didn’t want to be skinny. He was just never able to let go of his beloved food.

 

Jongin looked over to Baekhyun and bowed, “Good morning.”

 

Baekhyun turned over and did the same, “Yeah, good morning.”

 

Pfft, look at him. Standing like he’s the king of the cash registers. He probably thinks he’s all that just cause he’s good looking and skinny and…ugh perfect.

 

Customers started rolling in after an hour of waiting. Most of the people were girls and of course they would line up in Jongin’s line…BUT THEY WERE WAAAY TOO OBVIOUS! Baekhyun’s line had only two people in it while Jongin’s line had 10+. At first Baekhyun thought it was probably because he wasn’t doing that well with the cash register, but this happened for the whole day. He could see that Jongin’s smile went from real to fake quickly after seeing girl after girl.

 

“Finally, work is over!” mumbled Baekhyun as he collapsed onto the chair in the break room.

 

Jongin followed after him and rested his head on the table, “You did well for your first day.”

 

Baekhyun was a friendly guy. But when it comes to handsome and skinny men, he showed an opposite personality towards them, “Yeah, sure.”

 

Why is this kid talking to me? He’s been starting conversations since the beginning of work…

 

“It’s pretty late now. Do you want to go eat dinner with me?” asked Jongin, lifting his head up to look at Baekhyun.

 

I bet this kid won’t stop talking to me until I agree. I’ll be nice for once.

 

Baekhyun accepted his offer and they headed over to another restaurant. They ordered their meal and waited for it to come. Jongin as usual, tried to make conversation.

 

“Eating the food at work too much makes it difficult to even go to work sometimes, haha.” Jongin added a laugh to bring the mood up, but Baekhyun kept it down.

 

“Yeah, sure.”

 

All day, Baekhyun just replied with a “Yeah, sure.” Jongin lost his mind now.

 

“Do you dislike me or something? I was trying to make you feel at ease and less nervous at work today by talking to you a lot. I guess I was quite annoying, wasn’t I?”

 

“No it’s not that…”

 

“Let me guess. You think I’m one of those snobby, stuck up guys, just because I’m skinny and tall while you aren’t…no offense and all.”

 

, he hit the mark.

 

Baekhyun stayed silent.

 

“I guess I’m right then. I don’t think I’m like that though. Maybe we should get to know each other better before you start making judgements.”

 

I guess I shouldn’t have judged him so quickly…he does seem kind of…nice….I guess.

 

The two started exchanging questions and answers. Following what Jongin said, they got to know each other better…well at least the basics.

 

“So the reason why you started working here was for the free food? Haha! That’s hilarious.” Jongin laughed and laughed at almost every answer that Baekhyun gave him.

 

“Well how about you?! I’m sure you’re not much better!” Baekhyun shouted, causing the other male to stop his laughter.

 

“Just to earn money to spend.”

 

“Pfft, what a lie.”

 

Jongin laughed at how much Baekhyun was talking now. Comparing to when Baekhyun just answered with “Yeah, sure.”, he preferred this Baekhyun much more.

 

“Well, I’m finished with my meal.” said Jongin, pushing his plate away from him.

 

Baekhyun saw that there were still fries left over on his plate and couldn’t help but complain to him about it. “Don’t waste food! You still have 6 pieces of fries left!”

 

Jongin looked at the fries and then looked back at Baekhyun, “I’m really full. I can’t take another bite.”

 

Baekhyun picked up his fork and started stabbing all the fries, fitting them into his fork. He stuffed it into his mouth and chewed it deliciously, making Jongin feel awkward.

 

“You— ”

“Ate your food? Yes I did. You know how many people don’t have food to eat in this world? By wasting this food –”

 

Baekhyun continued on and on with his explanation about kids not having food, how much they suffer, and so on. “So don’t waste your food next time alright? Even if you are really full.”

 

Jongin let out a smile, “You’re the first person I’ve ever met to say stuff like that to me. You’re different. I like you.”

 

It surprised Baekhyun to hear that from Jongin. No one really liked being with him ever since school. Since Jongin was pretty much the perfect guy, it made Baekhyun realize that not every guy that looked like him was the same. Jongin was a good guy. He didn’t care what Baekhyun looked like. All he cared about was Baekhyun’s personality and that made him feel good about himself.

 

I guess Jongin isn’t so bad after all.