Chapter 5

Bigger than Love

 

After Baekhyun got back home that day, he started running on the treadmill at home. His mom had bought it for him on his 17th birthday, but he didn’t touch it ever since. His mom doesn’t even use it, but it doesn’t collect dust because Yixing always comes over to use it for them. He changed into some light clothing, put on his running shoes, and started the machine. The speed was slow, feeling confident, Baekhyun pushed the button all the way to half the maximum speed. “This isn’t too bad. I could do this for hours!”

 

After 30 seconds, Baekhyun found himself gasping for air, “I-I C-CANNOT!”

 

He quickly pressed the stop button and jumped off the machine and onto the floor. He crawled over to his water bottle and downed the whole thing. “Come on Baekhyun, you can’t give up now!” he told himself.

 

He stepped onto the treadmill again and lowered the speed to an amount that he can run at for a few minutes. After running for 10 minutes, he stopped the machine and wiped his sweat away with a towel. “Not too bad, knowing that I haven’t ran for years.”

 

His mom came back home and saw him covered in sweat. “Baekhyun, what happened? Did it rain outside?”

 

Baekhyun shook his head and glanced back at the treadmill, “I ran on that for 10 minutes.”

 

Baekhyun’s mom’s jaw dropped, “You did whaaat?”

 

“I ran on that for 10 minutes.” Baekhyun said, pointing at the treadmill.

 

“W-w-why?”

 

“Because I want to lose weight.”

 

His mom placed the back on her hand onto his forehead, “You don’t have a fever…are you feeling okay? People at work aren’t bullying you right?”

 

“Nope, everyone’s really nice. Especially this guy named Jongin. He told me I was his friend and even invited me over to his dance studio.”

 

Each word that came out of Baekhyun’s mouth shocked his mom. She could not believe that Baekhyun made friends with someone. Then she thought again, maybe Jongin was in the same situation as Baekhyun. Maybe he was bigger than normal. “What is Jongin like?”

 

Baekhyun thought for a while, “He’s really good looking, fit, skinny, tall, he has dark skin, he’s really kind, and he dances really well.”

 

Good looking?! Fit?! Skinny?! Tall?! Baekhyun’s mom could not believe these words she was hearing. How did Baekhyun make friends with someone that was the complete opposite of him?

 

“Are you sure this Jongin person is your friend?”

 

“Yeah, he even said so. I didn’t believe it at first but Jongin is a really good guy.”

 

“Invite him over sometime. I want to meet him.” his mom said.

 

If there was someone out there that could make Baekhyun want to lose weight, she had to meet him. What kind of person was Jongin? How was he able to make Baekhyun run on a treadmill for 10 minutes?! Baekhyun nodded and went to the bathroom to take a shower.

 

 

“Here, you can take all of my snacks. I don’t want them anymore.” said Baekhyun, handing bags of snacks over to Yixing.

 

“Why? Finally decided to lose some weight?”

 

“Yeah, I want to be able to dance like Jongin.”

 

Yixing laughed at what he said, “You’re going to have to go on strict diets and work hard enough to be able to lose all that.”

 

Baekhyun looked down at his stomach and saw all the folds, “I’m determined!”

 

After work, Baekhyun went with Jongin again to his dance studio. He brought enough towels this time to cover up all his sweat when he was dancing.

 

“You’re doing well. You look a little smaller too.” said Jongin, sitting down by the mirrors.

 

Baekhyun sat down beside him and took a large gulp from his water bottle, “I’m starting to exercise.”

 

“That’s good. Exercising is good.”

 

Day after day, night after night, Baekhyun exercised and ate healthy foods. Every day after work he went with Jongin to his dance studio and practiced dancing there with him. After that, he would go home and run on the treadmill until he couldn’t run any more. A month passed and Yixing could already see the results from Baekhyun’s hard work.

 

“There’s actually less flab now…but it’s still going to take you a while to look like me.”

 

Baekhyun patted his stomach and sent Yixing a big smile, “Just wait a few more months! Eating plain chicken s everyday is nothing!”

 

Baekhyun headed to work and Jongin was already there at the cash register. Once Baekhyun walked through the door, Jongin noticed the big change. “Wow Baekhyun, you really lost quite a bit of weight.”

 

“A few more months and I’ll be able to wear size small shirts!” said Baekhyun, going into the back room to change.

 

He came out in his uniform which was now much roomier than before. There was space everywhere in the shirt now and his pants felt slightly looser as well. Even though he spent a month already eating nothing but healthy foods and exercising all the time, it was hell. Every day was hell. Not being able to eat his favourite snacks or even eat the free food that the restaurant gives him now was painful. Knowing that he only needed to endure this for a few more months, he held back and continued on his diet.

 

Every time Baekhyun walked through that door a work, Jongin felt his heart beat a little. He started to look forward to going to work just because it was the only time he could see Baekhyun.

 

I wonder when Baekhyun’s going to come…